1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The biggest threats to Biblical Christianity in 2014

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 31, 2013.

?
  1. Mormonism & the cults

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Catholicism, Islam, and other world religions

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. The Emerging Church (Brian McLarren, Rob Bell,etc..)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Charismatic and WOF movement

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The New Age Movement

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Atheism

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. The seeker friendly movement promoting "easy believism."

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hyper Calvinism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The New Perspective on Paul

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Apathy, indifference, and biblical ignorance

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both of you are right:

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, in that he offered up Isaac his son upon the altar?
    22 Thou seest that faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect;
    23 and the scripture was fulfilled which saith, And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned unto him for righteousness; and he was called the friend of God.
    24 Ye see that by works a man is justified, and not only by faith.
    25 And in like manner was not also Rahab the harlot justified by works, in that she received the messengers, and sent them out another way?
    26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, even so faith apart from works is dead. Ja 2

(....ppsssstt, QF, I think you meant to say 'salvation by works'.... :) )

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please address what I say, and stop putting absurdity in my mouth. I provided "good doctrine" biblically based. We are to look to ourselves and compare ourselves to Christ, not be grumblers and fault finders. Recall, one of the virtues we are supposed to be diligently working on is brotherly kindness.

Many of the posters seem like the guy who prayed, I am glad I am not like that other fellow....

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

The greatest threat to Christianity in 2014 has been amply displayed on this very thread.

Care to think along with me and tell me what it is?

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why yes, you never find fault with anyone, and especially show brotherly kindness to those who believe in doctrines of sovereignty and grace. The greatest threat to Christianity would be a local church calling you as pastor.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

No takers?

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

#26 saturneptune, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know about the greatest threat, but I must agree that my character is so flawed I am disqualified to "pastor" my brothers and sisters in Christ. But Christ uses "broken reeds" for other purposes, and I like to think I have a holy calling, a measure of faith, a sphere of ministry within the body.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry you didn't list the greatest threat. It is of course the lack of faith.
    MB

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

We all have our opinions and I'll offer this: Political correctness as it is in direct opposition of Romans 12:1-2.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

OK, I'll say it, since no one wants to "think along with me" ... or is afraid they're right, one or the other.

The greatest threat to Christianity is the unbrotherly behavior of Christians toward one another. I said in my first post that the greatest threat to Christianity this year, had already been amply displayed on this very thread. And it has. Just look at some of the exchanges, and unfortunately, it is often the very same people who do the very same thing on every thread. Don't agree with them on every minute turning point of doctrine, and it's all out war.

It is the same thing when we encounter brothers and sisters in our local fellowships who have fallen into sin, addiction, temptation, or folly. Instead of coming alongside them, wrapping our arms around them, loving them, as Paul urged the church at Galatia.

Galatians 6, NASB
    1 Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.
    2 Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.
    3 For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.
    4 But each one must examine his own work, and then he will have reason for boasting in regard to himself alone, and not in regard to another.
    5 For each one will bear his own load.
    6 The one who is taught the word is to share all good things with the one who teaches him.
    7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.
    8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.
    10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. ​

Christians are the only soldiers in the world who shoot their own wounded.

11. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Probably the greatest threat, and it happens among Cals and Arminians and seemingly most forms of systematic theology:

We start basing our salvation on our works, or our understanding of theology, or our church membership, or anything rather than the simple trust in the shed blood of Jesus.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spot on, from the Bible, and on topic.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, well, two for two. Great, and I really mean it, great observation. It is trust in Christ, and not in knowing the "right" doctrine. That means God could cause a Catholic, a Calvinist, an Arminian, or a Mormon to be born again, even though all four believe in flawed doctrine to a degree, such as works or predestination.

#33 Van, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  14. thisnumbersdisconnected

[​IMG]

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's simply not true.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of which to know requires a bit of theology and dogma.

17. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Aaron--agreed! I don't advocate against Christians behaving as God ordains, or against the study of theology. Just that some get so wrapped up in it that they forget how simple salvation really is. The Holy Spirit, through the preaching of the Word, convicts the sinner who throws themselves upon the mercy of God through the shed blood of Christ.

18. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Like any good military strategy, the best way to destroy the enemy is from within--planting doubts and fears, and turning hearts and minds to think of the enemy (in our case, Satan) as not as bad they were told; these are generally people who are only pretending to be Christians. Also, there are those Christians who are not willing to "fight the fight" and "run the race". They become what God says He hates, lukewarm. They're born again, but they do nothing for the Lord.