1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Book Crazy Love

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 5, 2012.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If it was a book of sermons I would get the tape, :laugh: but I have never heard of a book of only sermons, have you?
    However this is not about a book of sermons. You are deliberately avoiding the issue.

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I have read what you have written. I am responding to it, quote by quote. Perhaps YOU have not thought over things before you posted?

Crazy Love is basically an extended sermon. Every bit of it is backed by scripture (which he references EXTENSIVELY). Chan is a minister; he is commanded by God to instruct the saints. That is what he is doing.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Uh, yeah, there are LOTS of books of collected sermons.

I am not avoiding the issue. There is no difference between a preacher writing a book, or preaching a sermon. They are the same thing.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No you have not read what I wrote or you would not have wrote what you did if you are an honest person.

Like I said if the book agrees with the bible I don't need it. If it does not I don't want it. If he is posting sermons then that would be different but that is not the case I read part of it and put it away.

#24 freeatlast, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
  5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Like I said if the book agrees with scripture I don't need it and if it disagrees I don't want it. Read and study the bible and save lost of money.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Well, I challenge you to find a single person that disagrees with my take on what you are saying....

I won't be holding my breath.

Again, there is no difference between a sermon and a book. Are you honestly saying that THE FORMAT (printed instead of spoken) makes a difference? And YOU ARE WRONG> Much of Crazy Love IS actually Chan's sermons!

Again, no difference between a book and preaching. Whether a preacher writes a book, or preaches a sermon, he is still expounding the Bible, just the same. You are arrogant, and think you need no instruction from Godly brothers. How sad.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

So you think preaching is useless, then? After all, "If the preacher agrees with scripture, you don't need to listen to him. If he disagrees with the Bible, you don't want to listen to him." Read the Bible, and save yourself a lot of time...

8. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

While I am a fair student of the Bible, to say that my own study is exhaustive and sufficient would be the utmost in pride. I would rather stand on the shoulders of giants.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    remember that God have to his church authors/writters though gifted to take the bible and reveal speak to us thru it!

Agree that the bible MUST be the primary source for our spiritual walf, but NOT only source!

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Read what I wrote.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes the bible is the only source. Are you a Mormon as they use other books?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm reading it now after getting it free a couple of months ago on the Kindle. So far, I enjoying it. I think sometimes we become complacent in our walk with the Lord and need a kick in the butt. I don't see books any different than listening to a sermon and this oneis just reminding us of having a stronger and more real walk with the Lord.

Eta - I hadn't read page 3 where others compared this book to a sermon. Great minds, I guess!

#32 annsni, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, he does. He references an unknown (to us) letter of his to the church at Corinth in 1 Corinthians 5. He says in what we call "first" Corinthians (but actually isn't his first letter to them), "In my other letter I told you not to have anything to do with immoral people."

Also, there are at least a dozen extra-Biblical writings cited in the Bible itself and are commended for having important knowledge or commended for backing up what the Biblical author is saying.

And besides - and not to be nitpicky - but when the Apostle Paul wrote his lettes, he had no idea that those letters would be part of holy scripture some day. He was just writing "letters" to individual people and churches. So all of his letters were "extra-scriptural" to him, weren't they? :saint: :flower: And yet he still admonished people to abide by them.

I believe that the Bible is THE source of truth. The only infallible source of God's truth. And it should be the primary reading material of Christians.

I also believe, because I have experienced it, that there are gifted writers - both men and women - who can take the Word of God and help to relate it and teach it and feed it to the flock. These writers aren't inspired like the Biblical authors and their writings aren't infallible like the Bible is, but I believe that God uses many of these people to guide others to Him and His Word.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Your response reminds me of a politician who answer with something none related. :laugh:

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
    How did he know what the poets said?

14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

This was not from scripture,was it?

16. Monster

Monster New Member

You should judge yourself by the standard you set here. You seem to echo the very words I wrote to you in another thread, which you completely ignored. Congratulations.

This thread demonstrates your, divisive trolling behavior perfectly. It was moving along smoothly (1 post) until you derailed it. Congratulations.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Come out of your darkenss and cling to the truth.

18. Monster

Monster New Member

What's darkenss?

19. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I did. That is what I am responding to...what you wrote. you are denying any value to anything other than scripture, which would also be a rejection of preaching. If you reject books, you must also reject preaching.

20. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a very well crafted response. Good job!