The CALL, Is there One Call to All or not

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Allan, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Allan Active Member

Whatever;
    Chill - I was stating that your comment was a dishonest one as you state others have REFUSED to answer your question on the dead hearing, when in fact it has been address by others and myself. I agree dishonest might have been a bit strong so if you will then allow "inaccurate" to replace it.

If you were offended by my stating this - Then I appologize for your feelings but it is true that others have addresed it though maybe not to your liking and maybe needed to have been worded as such.

Jarthur:
    I will deal with your postings later.

However be it known AGAIN, and AGAIN, I affirm that God calls us, but scriptures also speak in context of God revealing truth to more than just 'your' Called.
    To name a few.

Jesus - the Light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
    Holy Spirit - To convict the World of Sin.

Both of these are a part of that calling of Salvation yet the context of both these two show more that just the Called are given this knowledge. I have some other verses but Must run to the store with my wife and spend family time with them tonight.

2. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone said that the dead don't hear, I reminded them of Lazarus and then quoted the following verse

John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

Then
    First, not all who hear and come forth will participate in the resurrection of the righteous.

Also, according to the Scripture, they (The "dead") apparently do hear and see (implied) but refuse to come to the light hear because they love darkness rather than light:

John 3

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
    20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
    21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Personally, I'm not willing (at this time) to say that it is God's fault that those who love darkness are the way they are because He did not choose them or that He passed them by in the selection of the elect or that He pre-elected them to damnation (and I don't see a difference between those three options). I just don't know and I'm not going to choose (this is not a rebuff, just my own personal statement) at this time.

I suspect that in the here-after we will understand.

The point is that the Scripture says that the "dead" can hear His voice.

With God all things are possible even the impossible (Virgin birth, The dead - Lazarus - hearing His voice) etc...

HankD

3. Jarthur001 Active Member

Thanks Hank,

Maybe you should read the whole thread. This has been addressed....and debated.

4. Jarthur001 Active Member

Indeed....

And this would be the point of the thread. There is a call to all. Also there is a personal call. Which is which? Context always tells us. Right? :) :)

5. Brother Bob New Member

Seems that context to one person is not the same as it is to another. It has been shown over and over that the call goes out to all and they that take heed to the call and believe are saved.

6. whatever New Member

Brother, here are your words: "if you would be honest you to would state there is only ONE calling and that is what the general call is." This has nothing to do with whether anyone answered my question. As long as I maintain that there are two callings I am, according to you, dishonest.

I have been around too long to be offended by someone who I do not even know. Disappointed is probably a better word for it.

Let's settle it this way. The Bible says "The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live." I have asked whether there are some dead who hear the voice of God and choose to remain dead. What is your answer? Yes or no?

Also, if you can show me where you (or anyone else) has given a yes or a no to my question then I would appreciate it. Hank sort-of answered it, but I'd really just like to see a straight up yes or no answer. Will they that hear live, or will some choose to remain dead?

7. Brother Bob New Member

I am sure I gave you an answer. No, they cannot refuse for they made their choice while they were living and this is the judgement call and we will all stand in judgement and receive our just rewards whether it be good or bad.

Each and every one of the dead had already made that choice to hear or refuse that you speak of while they were alive before death.

8. whatever New Member

Brother Bob,

You're slick, I'll give you that. I am not very good at this I guess. Let me try again.

Are there some who are dead in their sins who hear the voice of God and choose to remain dead? Yes or no?

9. Brother Bob New Member

You I take it are saying those that are alive but dead in sin. The answer is "yes", they love darkness more than light.

Slick Willy is already taken so just call me Slick BBob.

10. whatever New Member

Slick BBob (lol),

When Jesus said "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live" what do you think he meant by "and now is"? Do you think some have already been called for the final judgment?

11. Brother Bob New Member

No, He was talking to those dead in sin and to the inward man with the spiritual ear.
    The soul that sinneth shall die.
    If he will hear the voice of the Lord and repent he shall live.
    His soul is raised from a dead state of sin unto a lively hope in Christ, if he will hear.

12. whatever New Member

But here's what I don't understand - he says "they that hear shall live". That sounds like all of them who hear will live. He doesn't leave any room for any to hear and not live, the way I read it anyway. So are you saying that they have to choose to hear? That's what it sounds like but I don't want to misrepresent you, so if that's not it please clarify.

13. Brother Bob New Member

Yes, that is what I am saying that you can either hear or harken to the call of satan and follow him or hear or harken to the call of the Lord and follow him. They will all hear the Lord but must harken to.

14. Jarthur001 Active Member

For some reason, I just though of a line a guy named Ricky use to say...

I yaa ya yaa yaaaaaaaa

:cool:

15. whatever New Member

Bro. Bob,

You're saying that the dead (in sin) get to pick who they hear? I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say that before. I'll have to give that some though.

I sincerely hope you have a great evening and a great Lord's day tomorrow.

16. Brother Bob New Member

I thought you all believed this? I thought you believe that those who have been regenerated do hear and follow Jesus and those who are not regenerated hear satan and follow him for we are all of a sinful nature. The only difference is We believe the call that you all believe is just for the saved is to all.
    And IMO, its stupid to say yaa ya yaa yaaaaaa, but stupid is as stupid does.

17. Brother Bob New Member

Thank you, we have had a good discussion without any harshness and that is good. We didn't need the ya yaa yaaa or whatever. I also go to church on Saturday besides going on Sunday.
    I wish you a good day also.

18. whatever New Member

Well, we believe that all are by dead in sin and listening to Satan, and that God commands all men everywhere to repent (and He really means it), but no one will on their own so He calls some to life and they hear Him and live and believe. It's a little different than what you said.

19. Jarthur001 Active Member

:) The sinner does not need to follow anyone to be unsaved. They are born that way. Its not a matter of hearing Satan, for this would be easy. Its a matter of hearing God.

20. Jarthur001 Active Member

Have a good day at Church Bob. I hope you had one today.