1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The calvinist system tries to reconcile things that cannot be reconciled in this worl

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Revmitchell, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Herald

Herald New Member

Re: The calvinist system tries to reconcile things that cannot be reconciled in this

Rev, genuine? Beyond degree. I am being bluntly honest. I am not trying to be offensive (although I acknowledge my "call 'em as I see 'em" demeanor does offend some).

You do not want to be labled as following a system. Fair enough. But you are following a system whether you like it or not. You just do not want to be defined by it. However you do not extend the same courtesy to others. If you did you would not define them as part of a system.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you recall, this is Rev's Original OP...

The Calvinist system tries to reconcile things that cannot be reconciled in this world

I would really like to know how he justifies that statement. What I hear is I REJECT, I REJECT.....OK so whats your understanding & why do you reject DoG?

And your blunt Herald cause your Jersey born & bred....not a bad thing from my prospective. :smilewinkgrin::thumbs:

#62 Earth Wind and Fire, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you are not paying attention. I posted the op but I did not write the words. Posting the op does not mean I agree with everything 100%. And I do agree with some things.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually no im not...it is of little concern to me if you disagree or not....but now Im a little curious.....but heck, dont sweat it.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find you disingenuous because this should be an easy thing to understand. I have only used labels that people have defined themselves by. There should be no problems with that. If someone else wants a label and system that is their business., But it is out of pure laziness that they want to pigeon hole someone else by them.

6. Herald

Herald New Member

Re: The calvinist system tries to reconcile things that cannot be reconciled in this

What is good for the goose is good for the gander, Rev.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure what you are saying here. There is no contradiction here.

8. Herald

Herald New Member

It has to do with doctrinal accuracy. Personally I do not care what a person calls themselves. What they cannot do is distance themselves from their stated beliefs. Others have asked whether you believe in the doctrines of grace. You declined to answer because you refuse to be put into a system. But unless you refuse to share any of your doctrinal opinions it will not be a difficult task to figure out your basic doctrinal beliefs. You can disagree with me all you want, but odds are that your theology has a logical basis to it. In other words it is systematized.

So, the question is why is that important? In here, a message board, it is probably of little importance. But in a larger context we use labels to define different theological systems. This is helpful for preachers and teachers. I have warned my congregation of the errors of synergism. I found it helpful to point out the specific errors of well know synergists such as Pelagius and Arminius, as well as modern synergists like Geisler and Ryrie. Their soteriology is Arminian/semi-Pelagian and I say as much. I expect, in fact I would be disappointed, if they were not saying the same about Calvinists. Am I offended? Not in the least. I want, and encourage, a clear distinction between us. Our congregations deserve such honesty. Do you not agree?

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is just false.

10. Herald

Herald New Member

Rev, I owe you an apology. I did not see where you answered EWF. I had to go back and find it. You wrote, "I reject the Reformed definition of election. I reject the Reformed view of limited grace."

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you...

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if you reject the Doctrines of grace as put forward by calvinists, do you hold to the Arminian counterpoints?

If not, don't you still have to hold to some type of statement of beliefs? Does your church have one to hand out to newcomers?