1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Catholic Church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by milby, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When the Scriptures are not the final authority for what a person believes, then pandoras door is wide open and every concievable and cultish thing in the world rushes right in. That depicts the history of the Roman Catholic Cult since its inception in the fourth century.

#41 The Biblicist, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  2. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure haven't found any retraction by you. Did I miss it? If I did, I apologize. The questions you asked, you have asked of me more than once and my answers have not changed. I used to believe the same that you do now about what the passage in John 3:1-17 and what that passage means. I now believe the same as the Catholics, Lutherans, Anglicans, Methodists, etc., etc. The Baptist church I was raised in still teaches that the water referred to in that passage refers to amniotic fluid. There are no examples of that in Greek literature from before the time of Christ or after or any place in scripture that it refers to amniotic fluid. It's a lot of hooey but they would prefer to believe that than to let the obvious be true.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

That is not the only interpretation among Baptists. Many interpret the conjunction "kai" in John 3:5 to mean "also" or "even" and thus the Master speaking to a Master of Israel - theologion to theologion that water is the symbol of the regenerating life of the Spirit even as Christ asserts in the very next chapter (Jn. 4:10,14; Jn 7; Jn. 13).

However, your greatest problem is that the whole idea of sacramentalism is repudiated clearly in the New Testament in several places (Lk. 5:12-15; Heb. 10:1-4; 1 Pet. 3:21; etc.) but especially in Romans 4:9-11.

4. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will do some study on the biblical references you gave. I'm on this board to learn. Thanks!

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Granted there are some that believe that it may refer to the amniotic fluid. That is only one view, but not all believe that way. I don't.
    Biblicist has a different view. I don't agree with his view. I do believe this however, that both of those views are tenable, that is believable or within the bounds of Scripture. Baptismal regeneration (which the RCC teaches) is one of the first known heresies to enter Christianity.

Perhaps I'll explain my view later, if need be.
    But more importantly: whether it is my view, Biblicist's, or your former church's--all acceptable. You must be born again. It is an essential. Either you were born again before when you were a Baptist by the Holy Spirit as Biblicist pointed out.
    Or, you were born again by water as the RCC teaches. Both cannot be true. Either you were never a Christian in the first place, having never understood what it means to be born again, and still don't know accepting the RCC apostate view. Or you do know and you must reject the RCC view. Which is it? You can't be schizophrenic and be both.

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Your welcome. I think we are all in a progressive learning experience.

7. milby

milby Member

That seems to be the problem. There are thousands of different views among Protestants. There is no unity.

Have you got some scripture references to prove that Baptismal regeneration is a heresy, or is that just your opinion?

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Over and over again the Bible teaches that salvation is by faith and faith alone. Even in the gospels, Jesus said: "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man comes unto the Father but by me."

Baptism is never the way to heaven. Baptism cannot save. Water simply makes a person wet. It is superstitious to think that H20 can save anyone.

Baptism is the first step of obedience that a believe takes after salvation. It symbolizes a believers death to his old life to sin, and a new life in Christ. (Rom.6:3,4).

Here are some important Scriptures.
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Acts 16:30-31 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Salvation is by faith, not of works, not of baptism.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

And there are hundreds of heretical teaching in the Roman Catholic Communion.

Baptismal regeneration is absolute nonsense. In Scripture regeneration is the New Birth, Salvation. Scripture also teaches the Security of the believer. Yet these groups baptize a baby, say he is regenerate, Born Again by the Holy Spirit, but he has to work incessantly to get to heaven and if he fails to "hell" with him! Absolute nonsense.

Constantine, the unbeliever and first pope, delayed baptism until just before he died to assure his "whatever the papists call it". I assume salvation. That is how ridiculous the idea of baptismal regeneration is,

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

That's true, and so it would also rule out all the Magisterial Reformers, including Calvin whom some Baptists on here defend as not being a persecutor and murderer which he clearly was, as I have documented extensively on this forum.

However, that was then, and this is now. I would only deny a church being a true church if it never held or had abandoned basic NT/early church teachings and traditional morality.

I disagree with the RCC on many things, but I think we had better appreciate them as allies in our battle to uphold traditional morality.

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I do not believe that. I disagree with the Calvinists as strongly as I do the RCC -- more so in certain areas -- but I would not say that Calvinists cannot be Christians.

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yep, almost as many errors there as in Calvinism. :)

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Better keep studying. The doctrine of papal infallibility proves that statement wrong -- and that's just one example.

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yes, indeed, and the EOC dunks them babies, too! :)

16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I agree with you completely and totally here -- probably a first in my discussions with you. :)

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What type of church or churches do you think was preserving the NT church along side the RCC before the Reformation?

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I think the EOC had preserved much of NT doctrine -- but not ministry, polity, or sacraments.

There were Dissenters all down through the ages who arose and tried to hold to or return to NT teaching and practice -- I won't list them here. Most were persecuted nearly or completely out of existence.

Part of ancient Celtic Christianity, after Rome absorbed much of the Celtic church at the Synod of Whitby, basically went underground and held on to early church teaching.

Essentially, the "NT church" was an underground movement before the Reformation, and the Magisterial part of the Reformation didn't move as far away from Rome as some think.

19. milby

milby Member

Oh I am, believe me I am.

20. milby

milby Member

I think Catholics agree that salvation is by faith too, just not faith ALONE. You said the bible teaches over and over that you are saved by failth alone. Can you tell me just one place in the bible it says that we are saved by faith ALONE?

How would you explain these verses?

John 3:5 “Jesus answered, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.’”

Acts 2:38: “And Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’”

Acts 22:16: “And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name.”

1 Corinthians 6:11: “And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.”

Titus 3:5: “he saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit,”

1 Peter 3:19-21: “in which he went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.