1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The City Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rlvaughn, Dec 11, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're welcome. I tried to walk the tight line of pointing to your post as the origin of the idea for this post, without associating you specifically with the "city church" idea of Nee.
    For all the times I've heard or seen the name Watchman Nee, his idea of "one church for one city" is about the only teaching of his of which I am aware.
    Yes, I hope there can be some fruitful discussion.
    I will look forward to your making these points.

I think "birds of a feather" method aptly describes how American Christians often choose which church they will attend/support. Awhile back I mused on distance, doctrine (different theology or creed) and language as three possibly legitimate reasons for separate churches. Ministry and Music - Seeking the Old Paths: Reasons for segregated churches?

I have some thoughts along this line that are not well-developed, but (in theory at least) support that generally we should be members of and support the church in/closest to our location. I am not sure how far I would be willing to take this, though. I am a committed immersionist who sees the nature of a church and immersion baptism somewhat bound together, and I also could not commit to anything I saw as deviating from the doctrine of salvation by grace. But if we just consider Baptists, there are certainly many of us who agree on the foundational and fundamental truths of Scripture, but often are dividing according to our preferences and emphases.

That said, I don't see these thoughts as the same as what Nee was teaching. While I would put some emphasis on location, the emphasis should not be on cities, which might have a population of 500, like the one near here, or about 25 million like Shanghai. I don't see how that (the latter) could have one church (at least not according to my idea of what a church is).

2. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am in the same place, on all points. Firstly, my thoughts are undeveloped, which is why I was very pleased with your thread as a place to bounce these ideas off of each other would be welcome.

I'm watching a movie with my wife now, but I'll be eagerly following and posting on this thread.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, this is exactly the view of early Particular Baptist leader Hanserd Knollys.

Knollys believed that one church in one city was the apostolic practice and model. Paul, after all, wrote his letter to the church in Rome or Corinth of Ephesus, not to the churches there.

"Gospel-Openness which makeeth very much for the Well-Being of a particular Church is threefold: First, That there be but ONE Church in one City ..." The World that Now is, 1681, quoted in Edification and Beauty: The Practical Ecclesiology of the English Particular Baptists, 1675-1705, James M. Renihan, Paternaster 2008.

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks! I didn't know that, or if I had heard it I have forgotten.

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the sentiment, but in an area lousy with Baptist churches, "close" is a relative concept. I have lived in my community (about 90,000 people) for 34 years and have attended/been a member of four Baptist churches. The closest was a six-minute drive; the farthest was a 20-minute drive and that was because I was good friends with a music leader I had known from another city, and that was from a different town. The closest Baptist churches were perhaps a four-minute or five-minute drive.

The fact is that there is no Baptist church in my immediate neighborhood; the only church, in fact, is a Disciples of Christ church. Down the road is a Southern Baptist church that I visited. A little farther are three other Southern Baptist churches, all of which I have attended or been a member of.

Yes, that is true. Blame part of that on transportation. If I had to walk to church, choosing the closest would be easy.

It is sometimes embarrassing to consider what factors play into our choice of churches, given how easy (in my part of the country) it is to move from one to the other. I believe that church membership should be a commitment to the people in the church in addition to all the theological ramifications. I have not always followed the precept, I admit. But if you have a choice of a half-dozen churches in a 3-mile radius, it comes down to which church you can best serve and be committed to. IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had no idea until I ran upon Matt Ward's blog, in which he analyzes the conversation between John Tombes (who straddled the divide between Presbyterians and Baptists and was anathemized by the Presbyterians for defending the anti-paedobaptists) and the early Particular Baptists about the meaning of baptism, the universal church and church membership.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the link. Reading in context, Knollys does not deny having distinct congregations (churches) in a city!

books.google.com/books?id=DwhMAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA159

8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please read the footnote. Distinct congregations are to be one church, not separate entities.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please, please be careful. A credobaptist in such a church might be tempted to adopt their error of pedobaptism. It's been known to happen, I was just reading one fellow's account on the interwebs:

"I was in a non-denominational church (Baptist with a cool website) church for years and then by the invitation of some friends, I attended a PCA church in NYC. I started attended weekly right away. There was a little getting used to the minimal liturgy, but now I'm lost without it. The Presbyterians (the conservative ones) place a high priority on scripture, preaching and teaching. My wife and I wonder how we ever functioned in the churches we had been to in the past. You don't have to be on board with infant baptism to attend or even become a member. I wasn't, but I came around after some time."

Don't be that guy.

And thank you for explaining[​IMG].

10. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reasonable question here: Why do you always threaten to "leave BB" when people do not respond the way you would like them to?

A mature believer, as one spoken of in Romans 12, Philippians 2, Romans 14, Romans 15, Galatians 6, Would not continually shed light on the deficiencies they see in other people. In other words, mature believers are not critical and petty.

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much of Paul's argumentation was polemic in nature. And I don't think any of us are in a position of accusing him of being critical and petty. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've stated that I would likely leave BB one time, and it was not a threat. To whom would it be a threat anyway?

Your post is a perfect example of why there is very little fruitful conversation here. You don't listen. You jump to conclusions. You don't reason well, and you name-call rather than present arguments.

13. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

There are nothing but lousy churches near me. It's a real problem. A very serious problem. They are entertainment-driven circus sideshows, more than they are churches, so I understand your point. Believe me, I do. I've visited more churches than anyone I know, because I've moved a few times, but mostly because I wanted to find a church in which the word of God was preached, rather than rock concerts and skits.

This discussion is mostly a philosophical one, as the horse has already left the barn. There are already hundreds of churches right on top of each other, and that is not likely to change.

What I would love to discuss here is regarding the ought. Should they be all of these different churches, or have they arisen from strife? Is it Okay to have 6 churches on the main street of a town, as is the case in my town? Is it Okay that Methodists and Lutherans are not united?

One argument that Roman Catholics make, which is difficult to defend, is that Protestants are divided and splintered. . .

14. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Churches were named for the cities/locatiosn they were in. There was no division by distinctive, that we are made aware of by reading the texts. And we also don't get the idea that people left their area to attend a church outside of it.

Local churches mentioned in the Bible:

1. Antioch, Pisidia: Acts 13:14; Gal 1:2
      • Antioch, Syria: Acts 11:26 (Paul's home base)
      • Athens: Acts 17:34
      • Berea: Acts 17:11
      • Caesarea: Acts 10:1,48
      • Cenchrea: Rom 16:1
      • Colossae: Col 1:2
      • Corinth: Acts 18:1
      • Cyrene: Acts 11:20
      • Damascus: Acts 9:19
      • Derbe: Acts 14:20; Gal 1:2
      • Ephesus: Acts 18:19
      • Hierapolis Col 4:13
      • Iconium: Acts 14:1; Gal 1:2
      • Jerusalem: Acts 2:5
      • Joppa: Acts 9:36, 38
      • Laodicea: Rev 1:11, Col 4:15
      • Lydda: Acts 9:32
      • Lystra: Acts 14:6; Gal 1:2
      • Pergamum: Rev 1:11
      • Philadelphia: Rev 1:11
      • Philippi: Acts 16:12
      • Puteoli, Italy: Acts 28:13-14
      • Rome: Rom 1:7
      • Sardis: Rev 1:11
      • Sharon: Acts 9:35
      • Smyrna: Rev 1:11
      • Tarsus: Acts 9:30
      • Thessalonica: Acts 17:1
      • Thyatira: Rev 1:11; Acts 16:14
      • Troas: Acts 20:6-7
    No mention of the "First Baptist" or "Tenth Presbyterianin" church in the list.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where two or three are gathered in Christ's name, He is among them. What, then, does that body lack?

Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus . . . Likewise greet the church that is in their house.
    One body meeting in one private residence is called a church in the Scriptures. Lee's weak in the Nee's. Lol. :)

#35 Aaron, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol. Anyone losing any sleep over this?

17. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That text is in reference to church discipline. Check the context

To understand exactly what Jesus means in Matthew18:20 we have to look at the context, which includes the surrounding verses in the passage, the passage before and after, the background of the book and author, including the original audience. Sometimes even just the heading of a passage can help us. The heading for Matthew 18:15-20 is, “If Your Brother Sins Against You, ” or “Dealing with Sin in the Church” in another translation. Not all versions include the phrase “against you,” but either way we can gather that this passage is about sin and discipline in the Christian community, specifically the church.

SEE ALSO: What Is Church Discipline? - Answers for Church Members - August 31

Matthew’s original audience was likely comprised of mostly Jewish believers and some Gentile believers; his gospel was also an evangelistic tool for Jews who did not yet believe as well as good news for Gentiles who did not believe. The Jews reading Matthew’s gospel would have immediately known that this passage dealt with church discipline. Why? Because the passage would have reminded them of passages in Deuteronomy, concerning the law. Deuteronomy 17 and 19 speak of 2 or 3 witnesses gathered to testify in court. The witnesses were necessary to establish a case in court.

The Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) was Jesus’ Bible, and He used it in preaching and teaching. Jewish readers or listeners would have been all too familiar with allusions to Hebrew Bible passages; they knew their Bible well. Unlike most modern Christians, they would not have needed cross-references. This is just another reason to know God’s Word well and to study both the Old Testament and New Testament, neglecting neither.

The ESV Study Bible has this to say about Matthew 18:16:

“Evidence of two or three witnesses follows the guideline in Deut. 19:15 and refers to witnesses of the subsequent confrontation described in this verse, not necessarily eyewitnesses to the original offense.” And 18:20, “Jesus affirms that he will be divinely present among his disciples as they seek unity in rendering decisions, which is rightly understood also as an affirmation of omnipresence and therefore of deity. “

The NIV Zondervan Study Bible edited by D. A. Carson similarly states about Matthew 18:16:

“This procedure comes from Deut 19:15. Taking “one or two” people with you adds up to “two or three” witnesses. Not eyewitnesses of the sin, but those who can testify as to how the attempt at reconciliation goes.” And 18:20, “While Christ is present is even the smallest gathering of his people, his point in this context is that heaven is in accord (v.19) with believers who follow his instructions regarding church discipline.”

Matt Smethurst, managing editor for The Gospel Coalition, points out another view:

“Notice in Matthew 18:20, Jesus employs that ancient Jewish principle for testifying in court—two or three have to agree with one another—and applies this legal glue to gathering ‘in his name.’ When these two or three or three thousand get together and agree they all believe in the same Jesus, his authority is present and they are a church, capable of exercising the keys. This protects the who and what of the gospel. It doesn’t leave gospel accountability to every individual.”

This view believes that when two or more Christians get together, believing in Jesus’ authority, they are a church and can exercise the keys of the kingdom, which are church government and church discipline.

Tim Chaffey continues,

“It is with this in mind that Jesus said the Father would grant the request of two or more who gather together in Christ’s name and are in agreement. Agreement on what? On disciplining the erring brother. That’s what this passage is about and yet so many Christians use it as though Jesus promises to answer their prayers when offered in certain situations.”

This doesn’t mean that Jesus doesn’t hear our prayers when we pray alone or with two or three people etc. …He does. But it means that this particular verse is not talking about Jesus’ presence in prayer, it’s talking about His presence in church discipline.

Eric Bargerhuff, author of The Most Misused Verses in the Bible, also reminds us that the original audience would have been reading this passage in the context of chapter 18 of Matthew:

“In Matthew 18, Jesus is instructing the disciples on how they and all who will follow him should handle situations of interpersonal sin and conflict. His instructions about this immediately follow his parable about the lost sheep (which emphasizes restoring someone who has gone astray) and precedes the parable of the unmerciful servant (which is about being willing to cancel and forgive an outstanding debt). Therefore, the themes that are present in this context are forgiveness, restoration, and reconciliation with a brother or sister who has sinned against you or who has gone astray. “

Bargerhuff continues,

“Jesus is saying that whenever the church is pursuing and is involved in a reconciliation process with someone who has refused to repent, they can rest assured that God’s blessing is with them in their efforts. In other words, as the church renders the judicial decisions on matters of right and wrong that are based on the truth of God’s Word, they should be confident that they are doing the right thing and that Christ himself is right there with them, spiritually present in their midst.”

Why the Context of Matthew 18:20 is Important

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Often Christ will utter a straightforward maxim that lends its meaning to a subject, not vice versa: A good tree cannot bear corrupt fruit, Where the corpse is the vultures will gather, etc. Paul did the same: Evil communications corrupt good manners (and, no, Menander is NOT the source material for that adage).

Where two or three are gathered is the same way.

Matthew 18 concludes with applying the universal principles that give the act of discipline its authority to all operations of the church.

Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here you go again.

20. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Wikipedia, Watchman "Nee taught that there should only be one church in every city, that Christians should meet together simply as believers living in the same city regardless of differences in doctrine or practice...Both Nee and Lee emphasized the New Testament's references to churches by the name of the city (for example, in Acts, the Christians in Jerusalem being referred to as 'the church which was at Jerusalem' (NKJV)." It seems strange, though, that God would set up his spiritual entities based on a physical political entity. Cities are geographic boundaries that are arbitrarily created for practical reasons of government. What if the cities of Richwood, Lake Jackson, and Clute (Texas), separated by Oyster Creek, decide to merge into one city? Does the new political arrangement supersede the spiritual arrangement of "the Church of Richwood," "the Church of Lake Jackson," and "the Church of Clute" and suddenly cause them to be rearranged into one church instead of three? Doesn't this put churches at the mercy of local governments? Either I completely misunderstand Nee's view, or it is so simplistic that it locks Christ's church into a political box.

This is one reason I used "generally" (somewhat having in mind what ought to be) and opposed to what one might have to do practically. We can discuss that there ought not be a half-dozen churches in a 3-mile radius, but that doesn't change the actuality that there are! There are many things that need to be fixed before we can begin to be more like what we ought to be. Another issue is whether something with the name "church" on its sign even approaches being a church in the biblical sense. (I don't believe "entertainment-driven circus sideshows" are, even though there may be Christians participating in the sideshow.)

I found this is also discussed in Barry Howson's Erroneous and Schismatical Opinions: the Questions of Orthodoxy Regarding the Theology of Hanserd Knollys, on pages 225 and following.

There are a few exceptions that call in question the consistent pattern of churches identified by one location. For example, Romans 16:5 suggests more than one church in Rome -- one of which met in Priscilla's and Aquilla's house. Also Colossians 4:15 is similar.