1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The Coffee Shop" #5

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Sherrie, May 12, 2003.

1. jonmagee

jonmagee New Member

thank you.you are so kind

yours, Jon.

2. jonmagee

jonmagee New Member

mmmmmm just the 2 of us. no staff today?

yours,Jon.

3. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Mary Celeste was launched in Nova Scotia in 1860. Her original name was "Amazon". She was 103 ft overall displacing 280 tons and listed as a half-brig. Over the next 10 years she was involved in several accidents at sea and passed thru a number of owners. Eventually she turned up at a New York salvage auction where she was purchased for $3,000. After extensive repairs she was put under American registry and renamed "Mary Celeste".

The new captain of Mary Celeste was Benjamin Briggs, 37, a master with three previous commands. On November 7, 1872 the ship departed New York with Captain Briggs, his wife, young daughter and a crew of eight. The ship was cargoed with 1700 barrels of raw american alcohol bound for Genoa, Italy. The captain, his family and crew were never seen again.

Interesting, I am sure.

Sherrie

4. jonmagee

jonmagee New Member

what a mine of information you are where does it all come from

yours, Jon.

5. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

All survived the wreck but her? What ever does that mean? Her being the ship.

Sherrie

6. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

There were many theories as to why the crew had abandoned the ship. These range from hallucinations as the result of food poisoning to an attempt to scuttle the ship for the insurance money gone awry. Some people theorized that the crew had gotten into the alcohol shipment. Others said that fumes rising from the barrels of alcohol could have looked like smoke under certain conditions, causing the captain to believe that the shipment was on fire. Yet another theory holds that the ship ran aground on a "ghost island" , a moving sandbar. The crew abandoned the ship, and the sand bar eventually moved again sending the Mary Celeste drifting. Lack of evidence of violence caused most people to rule out piracy.

Fiction writers of the time had a field day. Arthur Conan Doyle, writing under a pseudonym, published an article in the January 1884 "Cornhill Magazine" entitled "J Habalick Jephson's Statement" which featured a fictional ship called "Marie Celeste". The fictional tale bore enough resemblance to the actual events surrounding the Mary Celeste that the two are often confused and intertwined.

Up to 50 years after the incident confessions were being made by sailors claiming to be survivors. One such tale involved the captain challenging his first mate to a swimming race around the boat. Both men were supposedly attacked by sharks, and as the crew watched in horror a wave knocked them into the water. None of the sailors' tales could be substantiated.

Sherrie

7. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

That is toooooo scary for me.

Sherrie

8. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Hi everyone,

Just popping in for a quick visit. It is essay time here so i am in study mode. :rolleyes:

bye for now, blessings

Sheila :confused: [​IMG] :rolleyes:

9. jonmagee

jonmagee New Member

I have to do something with my son. Hope to be back at 11pm our time.Is that 5pm your time sherrie?

thanks for your help

yours, Jon.

10. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Well then ..everybody leave! Good luck on essays and kids. I will figure this spooky book out myself. I can do it.

Sherrie [​IMG]

11. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Thank You. Thank You. And No, I haven't. I want to wait for the tests to come back to see if there is anything serious to ask everyone to pray for. It could very well be nothing. I hope so.

Sherrie, I've never heard the story of the Mary Celeste before. Very interesting. And thought that was funny about how the B.B. time was just noticed. I guess some people are a little slow on the uptake. Either that...or it's exactly like you said. Too funny. :rolleyes: ;)

Well, I went to the bank and both ATM's were broken. I get out there early...the bank wasn't open yet. Wanted to deposit my paycheck, and beat the Friday crowd. Oh well. I hate to go inside the bank...robberie's scare me, and they go on all the time out here. (one of the reason's we're moving)

Washed my car by hand...those kids and those pesky fingerprints. :rolleyes:

Had a notery come over to have us sign the refinance loan docs on our house the other night. And he asked me that question that no self respecting woman would appreciate...DO YOU WORK? I hate that macho attitude...he kept ordering me around too. The nerve...my own husband wouldn't do that. Do I work?! If I was some multimillionairess with lots of servants and could just sit around the pool or go have my spa day at Elizabeth Arden...would we need to refinance our house?! The nerve... Do I work?! [​IMG] What a neandrathal. :rolleyes: I was dumstruck, I didn't know how to answer, so I paused. Dan said "Yes, she works very hard" :D

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Wiiiiiiiise Seeker,

No need in getting all "riled" up about not workin'!! I mean, look at Elizabeth Taylor--she ain't worked a day in her life but she's got more money than anyone can shake a stick at!! And can she do anything??? I mean, honest!! Does she know how to do anything??

Your buddy,
    Blackbird

13. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Blackbird...I think you should wash those hands of yours...they get pretty dirty dragging them on the floor all the time. [​IMG] [​IMG] ;)

P.S. We own our own Graphics business, I do the bookkeeping and the typesetting and help with the taxes. I'm a retired accountant...did you know that?

Besides raising three human beings to be civilized members of society...is no easy job, cleaning and repairing a household, shopping, doing laundry, mowing the lawn, washing the car, being a taxi service to the kids, volunteering at church...whew...you would be worn out if you were me...but then any man would be. [​IMG]

Elizabeth Taylor is rich...I'm sure she has people like me working for her...by the dozens. We should all be so blessed. ;)

14. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Hi you two! I am over here! OK...it was as I said, I assure you Wisdom Seeker. And that stuff goes on all the time. I know its pidily stuff, but it all adds up.

So..insurance guys...are they all like that or what? I have heard the same thing from someone else I know. And she really told him off.

Blackbird....what is the garden like? Have we got blooms yet?

Well I guess I will go see what other mischief I can get into.

Sherrie

15. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

If it does not rain tomorrow, I am going to wash my car. I always do mine by hand. I have some wax I bought, but i have never used it. That stuff doesn't go bad does it? Its liquid and is black like my car.

Sherrie

16. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

No, he wasn't an insurance guy...He was just the Notary Republic that brought the loan documents to our house for signing.

That type of attitude is typical for Macho Caifornia Chicano's...it's called "machismo" my first husband was a California born Mexican ...I know of which I speak.. So glad to be out of that whole woman hating mentality. Even in small doses it makes me gag.

machismo n.
    A strong, sometimes exaggerated sense of masculinity stressing attributes such as physical courage, virility, domination of women, and aggressiveness. :rolleyes:

I don't know if wax goes bad...you might try it on an under side of your car, maybe by the grill to see. I need to wax mine too. I want to buy that easy stuff that you just shine on and then wipe off. The hard kind makes my hands feel really gross.

17. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Yeah this is liquid wax and in a bottle. You buy it according to the color of your car. Tomorrow. We will see. haha!

Sherrie

18. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another roller-coaster of a day. I was all excited about work, but that joy turned sour quickly when I had to ride to and from Memphis in a van full of smokers :mad: When I got my next week's schedule, I had mixed feelings. I have plenty of work, but four mornings in a row I have to be at the office while it's still dark :eek: Plus next Thursday is my final in my class on research I've taken all semester, so I have to find time to study on top of work and everything else :confused: I was feeling weak and sometimes nervous. Part of it was due to not eating breakfast. I couldn't go anywhere in Jackson w/out a car, and we didn't stop anywhere enroute. So I was weak until the inventory ended around 1130. I did get a snack before heading back to Jackson. Then when I got back I was finally able to get a rental car [​IMG] So that helps me get to my interview in Arkansas tomorrow--LOL. I am thinking more and more about buying the Ciera I saw downtown. Hopefully it'll be ready by Saturday.

I have some time before class. But something I saw last nite at the shelter bothers me, and I'll post it in the Members Only forum.

Jimmy

19. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! I told you she deliberately pushes my buttons! I am so irate right now! Angry isn't the word. They deliberately tried to get everyone mad!

Ok....someone pray for me. Really.

Sherrie

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

They won't let me in the Member's Only forum!! Must be for the upper echelon!! Bank rollers! Upper crust!! If you guys knew what side of the ditch ole Blackbird grew up on . . .!

Your buddy,
    Blackbird