1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Day TULIP Died

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, May 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Job … God said he was a righteous man [couldn’t resist]. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, tell me when I have quoted anything other than scripture. Yet, when I or anyone you disagree with shares scripture, you simply claim it is from Calvin or it is eisegesis, even though neither has been done with the text.
    Meanwhile you bash Calvinism, but your capacity to actually share your personal theology is as muddy as the Mississippi River in Louisiana.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Father draws people to Himself via the conviction of the Holy Spirit, creation, hearing the gospel etc. But what He does not do is force man to come to Him. We are told to do the work of God. That being to believe in His son.
    Joh 6:29 "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."
    Those that hear the gospel message and believe the message are saved.

God foreknows all that will freely trust in His son but foreknowledge is not fore caused.
    What you seem to ignore is that if you hold to just a pre-selected group being saved then that means a pre-selected group is also condemned.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand God's actual attributes as described in scripture, there is no conflict between His actual sovereignty (causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass) and His attribute of love. Providing an opportunity to be saved demonstrates His love (John 3:16) and His gracious act of choosing to save those whose faith He credits as righteousness certainly defines sacrificial love. He demonstrated His love for us when while we were sinners, He died for us.

But the author is spot on in thinking it is time to consign the false TULI doctrines of the Tulip to the dust bin of history. These four fallacies are linked logically together, thus like a house of card, if any one is false, then they are all false. The "T" claims no one ever seeks God, while fallen and unregenerate, but Matthew 23:13 demonstrates some of the unsaved do seek God as they were in the process of entering the kingdom. 2 Thessalonians 2:13 demonstrates we are chosen for salvation through faith in the truth, thus a conditional election, rather than the false doctrine of the "U." 1 Timothy 2:6 demonstrates that Christ died for all humanity when considered in light of 2 Peter 2:1 where even those heading for swift destruction were bought by the Master. Lastly the "I" (Irresistible Grace) is demonstrated false by 2 Thessalonians 2:13 because we cannot be given faith after being chosen since we are chosen by way of our pre-existing faith.

#144 Van, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue is not what you quote, and it is not with Scripture you quote.

The issue I have is with the things you add to God when you quote Scripture.

Here is a good example:

I understand the part in red is your comment, but it does not belong with the passage you quoted.

You falsely claimed I left Calvinism because I read some book (or books). This is a false claim.

I told you why I left Calvinism.

After ditching Calvinism I came to see that Scripture makes sense without it.

What you fight is not anything I read in a book but Scripture divorced from Calvinistic presuppositions.

There is a reason my view (literally, Scripture) does not make sense to you unless accompanied by Reformed books to tell you what God really meant.

Here:

6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, I added nothing and your disingenuous nature is showing. Your inability to exegete any passage is noted. Keep living in your mud hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did add. You provided Scripture and then added to it ideas that were not there.

I'm not saying you were claiming your words were Scripture quoted. But you are telling us something that is not actually supported by Scripture as if it were really taught there in.

You are not explaining the passage but adding to it what you read in Reformed books.

8. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any man, or some men?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea OK… actually I’ve studied him for years. And I don’t care about his theological duel with Pelagius. That has nothing to do with the rising of Calvin’s doctrines and theology. I don’t want to get involved with Calvinist doctrine. I have my own Baptist doctrine which predate Calvinism.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is he supposed to be represented?

11. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read your DoG without the tinted glasses. God can and does allow for man to have a real free will but you claim that man can only freely sin, that is nonsense but you hold to it.

Jesus must have thought man could make real choices:
    Mat_16:24 "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
    Joh_8:31 "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.
    Joh_8:52 'If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.'

So if God believes that man can make free will choices why do you not?

So when God says He desires all men to be saved, do you believe that? When He tells man to "turn and live" do you think He meant "I will make you turn and live"?

God says He is the savior of all men, but your theology say only some men.

Your theology needs a rethink.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's a couple more:

You have an appetite for Reformed books, and this is where those things you add to Scripture come from.

13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you should tell that to God. He really is not a good calvinist.

Regeneration
    palingenesia (G3824), "new birth" (palin, "again," genesis, "birth"), is used of "spiritual regeneration," Tit_3:5, involving the communication of a new life Vine NT

In theology, new birth by the grace of God; that change by which the will and natural enmity of man to God and his law are subdued, and a principle of supreme love to God and his law, or holy affections, are implanted in the heart. Webster

The washing of regeneration (paliggenesía, Tit_3:5) refers to the spiritual rebirth of the individual soul. The Complete Word Study Dictionary

Conversion
    In a theological or moral sense, a change of heart, or dispositions, in which the enmity of the heart to God and his law and the obstinacy of the will are subdued, and are succeeded by supreme love to God and his moral government, and a reformation of life. Webster

New Birth
    In a theological sense, regeneration is called the new birth.

It would seem that Regeneration, Conversion and New Birth all refer to the same event, being saved by the grace of God.
    Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith,

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    My theology is from the bible. For me it is the bible first, last and always. The bible is clear and will support itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, keep telling yourself that. You got enough people disagreeing with you. Actually I see you as a kinda Calvinist…. You certainly use their techniques to support your own concepts about theology just as they do! I have to admit that this preoccupation with the question of whether a person is born again or not doesn’t enter into my frame of reference. It doesn’t enter my mind to question whether a person is a child of God or not. I simply try to treat every person I meet with respect and try to behave myself as the Lord calls me to behave. Like I don’t question someone’s denomination, beliefs, salvation, politics etc. You on the other hand seem to delight in challenging peoples beliefs, even making claims to their interpretation of scriptures as another gospel. Personally, I find that tact to be extremely disconcerting.

#155 Earth Wind and Fire, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
  16. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

1. We all deserve hell as sinners

2. God is perfectly right and good to send all of us to hell. God is not obligated to save anyone

3. The fact that God would save anyone speaks to His love

4. If God chose to save only 1 person throughout all of human history, He has shown that He is love

• Like Like x 1
  17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon the part in red is a direct quote from God's Word. Are you that lazy? I highlighted it in red so you would read it and see it.
    1 Peter 2:7-8
    So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” and “A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.

If you need to...go grab a paper Bible, open it up to 1 Peter 2:7-8 and read it yourself.

Here's the KJV
    Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. - 1 Peter 2:7-8

NASB
    This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for unbelievers, “ A stone which the builders rejected, This became the chief cornerstone ,”and, “ A stone of stumbling and a rock of offense ”; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this they were also appointed. - 1 Peter 2:7-8

Jon, your unwillingness to accept God's Word is noted.

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, I find you to be a very deceptive person. You are not worth speaking to as you speak falsehoods without blinking.

19. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?
    In Romans 1 (at the end) was it God’s pre-selection that condemned those people, or did God simply release His grip of restraint and allow them to freely pursue their “heart’s desires”?

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And who is free indeed, but him that the Son sets free?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.