1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The disasterous failure of the early church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by evangelist-7, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I really wonder about you sometimes. In reality, you questioned whether it was scriptural to even believe that Christ's life was a model for us to follow making some ridiculous comment about the virgin birth
    Which, BTW, you attempt to immediately establish a straw man by suggesting I said something to the effect that we are to copy every detail of his life. Which I actually said
    which obviously I meant generally and can clearly be seen when I said
    specifically speaking of baptism. Which it seems an attempt to adroitly supplying both a misrepresentation of what I said, in a backhanded way, to characterize me, in way suggestive, of not adhering to scriptures, and avoid answering the true intent of my question which was
    This is your pattern. Set up strawmen to tear them down though the person you attribute the strawman never intended it in the manner you suggest. You are not attempting real discussion but are engaged in continual character assasination. You do this with everyone which you disagree under the guise of debate or discussion.

That may be true as I believe that I'm saved by Grace through Faith working in Love. And it seems clear to me that you absent "working in Love" in that equation (so to speak) as you display none of that at least on this board. It seems to me that you believe you are saved by Grace Alone through Faith Alone so you don't have to display the resulting Love naturally resulting from that Grace and Faith.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

By your own admission I was being combative over teachings and this is a DEBATE forum but YOU make it personal and make personal attacks. This time, you cannot say I personally attacked you. I didn't say "i really wonder ABOUT YOU" or that YOU are being combative etc.

#22 The Biblicist, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  3. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Weren't there 2 classes of Jews in the OT ... God's prophets and the others?
    God is in a box, right? ... He's not allowed to choose certain believers to anoint for special purposes!
    C'mon, Mike baby, get real.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I can say that you, attempted to assassinate my character by apply an untruth to what I said ie
    That is an intentional mischaracterization of what I said as I showed in the above post. Since its an intentional mischaracterization you reveal that it is not debate that seriously intrest you but primarily putting forth your individual opinions regarding your beliefs and assassinate the characters of everyone who opposes your view. So yes in a very real sense its a personal attack with out it being overtly so.

And still my question hasn't really been resolved or even discussed as you used it as an opportunity to mischaracterize my statement.

#24 Thinkingstuff, Nov 20, 2012
  5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

When you learn to address me appropriately, I might consider trying to have an adult, rational discussion with you -- if that is even possible.

Anointing certain people for special purposes is another matter entirely than trying to set up two classes of Christians -- those who have received "the baptism" with the implication of spiritual superiority, and those who have not received " the baptism". That is totally unscriptural.

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Sure you can say that, but if that were true then this whole forum would be nothing else but that as this is a DEBATE forum. If tIhat rule applied no one could challenge anyone about anything. The point is that I never made it personal, you did.

I made no assertions but asked questions! Go back and read it again.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

More like ancient gnosticism and the have and have nots. The truth is that there is no spiritual superiority at all because gifts do not make anyone more or less spritiual as the Corinthians had all the gifts but were called "carnal" and Paul claimed they were not "spriitual" - 1 Cor. 3:1-3.

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One in which you are not engaged in debate but in insinuation intentionally mischaracterizing your opponents. You are also engaged in strawman arguments which essentially isn't a debate either.

No, by intentionally mischaracterizing my statement is a subversive personal attack. Which is why I said it wasn't overtly so. And still you haven't even gotten to the question at hand.

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

:wavey::sleep::sleep:
    :sleeping_2: Questions are hardly subversive in nature.

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Look at the structure of your "question".
    The question which you are referring completed in the first half of your sentence. It is the second part of the "question" sentence that is the attack. The issue is the false claim may by you that I claimed "that every detail of Christ's life was a "model" for us" which is a blatant attempt to discredit me. Clearly you can see how that is an attack though not overt. You are thereby suggesting in your "question" that I made a claim BASED upon something I did not BASE it on. Also it is clear by your use of emoticons that you still wish to discredit me rather than provide proper debate about the topic. And as yet you still haven't answered my question.

#30 Thinkingstuff, Nov 20, 2012
  11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

If you are that sensitive to that kind of question then boy why even enter into a debate forum?

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

That is true, but that's not the practical outcome of Pentecostal/Charismatic theology. I know because I've seen it firsthand.

13. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Michael, sir ... or is it ... Sir Michael?
    Names and titles always did confuse me ... Sorry.

The "implication" is yours, not mine.
    I guess I've said this here about 1000 times ...
    this baptism is an anointing (with gifts attached) for some special task.

You do your thing for Jesus ... whatever He tells you to do.
    I do my thing for Jesus ... whatever He tells me to do.
    Your thing requires different gifts than my thing.
    Again, sorry, but that's just da way it is.

And please don't shoot the piano player ... I can't afford no bullet-proof vest!

14. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

I've been informed by a RC that the RC church never has put out any cessationist doctrinal statements.

He says just look at the lives of the Saints.
    I said I don't care about a few Saints, I'ze talkin' about all of the actual churches.

(Several books that are available on the subject say S-W-M were in effect in diminishing numbers
    and mainly in smaller churches, which were not connected with the big church organizations.)

He says the whole thing started with the Protestants.
    And he might just be partly correct ... as far as the BIG picture is concerned!

I might be off by 1300 years (1500 - 200)!
    Hey, burn me at the stake, I don't care!

#34 evangelist-7, Nov 20, 2012
  15. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you say... In your view we get the glory due to our "free will".

Jesus view: Only God gets the glory.

You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are clearly a hypocrite and I say that in all sincerity and honesty.
    You say that people should do the very things you believe in, and yet you yourself cannot do and find impossible to do. How hypocritical is that?

Two of the "gifts" following Mark 16 are stated here:
    Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them;
    --But, hypocritically, you tell others they should do this, but won't do it yourself. What else is it, if it isn't hypocrisy? Don't allegorize the verse away. I know what the Greek says. It means exactly what it says. It was demonstrated in part by the apostle Paul, when a poisonous snake attached itself to him, and the pagans of the island thought that he would die. He shook it off into the fire, and then they thought he was a god.

Acts 28:4 And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live.
    Acts 28:5 And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm.
    6 Howbeit they looked when he should have swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds, and said that he was a god.

Why not imitate Paul if you think these signs are for every one. You would be hypocritical not to. And why are you telling others that they should partake of the same when you won't do it? That is hypocritical.
    Have you had your daily dose of Draino? HCl perhaps?

You claim to speak in tongues but you cannot.
    Which languages have you spoken in? Cree? Mohawk? Maori? Hindi? Polish? German? Which?
    That is what the word "tongue" means--"language." They were actual languages that people knew. But you don't know what language you speak in, and cannot know for it isn't a language. There is nothing Biblical about what you do that you call "tongues." It was something that was not practiced in Biblical times, except in the pagan past of the Corinthians (1Cor.12:2).

You cannot heal as Peter healed. Acts 5:16.
    Acts 5:16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.
    --That is a demonstration of the gift of healing.

You say these gifts are available to all. Why don't you have them? Why don't you demonstrate them? Why are you so hypocritical in that you say others should practice them, but you can't practice them yourself.

When is the last time you performed a miracle--walked on water perhaps?

17. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Of course I meant ...
    I might be off by 1400 years (1500 - 100)!

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John the baptist was one of the greatest OT prophets, Jesus said greatest One, how many miracles did he do?

Did Spurgeon/moody/Whitefield/Graham?

Were all of them "powerless" in regarding ministries unto the lord?

19. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

He was only in the NT.
    He was working long before the Holy Spirit replaced Jesus.
    He was working before Jesus did His foist miracle.

I don't know if these 4 men did any S-W-M.
    If they did NOT, it was because they did NOT believe in them.

Belief in the Lord's S-W-M diminished gradually over the 1800 years
    until at the end of the 1800's there was NO belief left.

Then, the Lord revitalized modern-day Pentecost (for the end of the end times).

But then, Satan is involved in the affairs of man also ... as he always has been (allowed to).

20. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

What DISASTROUS failure of the early church....it is still here afer 2000 years and yes it has lurched from catastrophe to catastrophe.....but it has NOT failed.