1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The false doctrine of the Immaculate Conception

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hobie, May 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ummmm, I DO believe in God's words - so I'm not sure what you're getting at..
    That's because YOU don't understand what the Church is.
    Allow me to educate you . . .

- The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31, Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).
    - Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6). He promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL Truth (John 16:12-15).
    - Jesus told the leaders of His Church that WHATEVER they bound or loosed on earth would ALSO be bound and loosed in Heaven (Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, John 20:21-23).
    - The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).
    - The Church is the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).
    - Jesus identifies His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5).

Enlighten me as to HOW I'm not believing in God's words . . .
    Yes - please address that post.
    Everybody else had been afraid to . . .

2. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And that "Mystery Babylon" manure comes from Alexangder Hislop's anti-Catholic book, "The Two Babylons" - which has been debunked from here to Christmas.
    Too bad nobody gave Jack Chick the memo because that's where you also get the "Semiramis/Nimrod" nonsense.

Do your homework, dude.
    This is embarrassing . . .

3. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And nobody said she was - so why don't you try being honest?

4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm getting at the fact that you are dismissing Romans 3:23, Ecclesiastes 7:21 and several others.
    Mary is not Jesus, therefore Mary was a sinner, just like all men except for the Son of God.

Sure I do...
    It's everyone who is saved.

It is not an institution with its headquarters in Rome.
    Nor is it an institution with its headquarters in Istanbul / Constantinople / Byzantium.

Neither does it have its headquarters in Moscow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not "dismissing" anything.
    I already addressed this in great detail back in post #45.

If you're not going to read my responses - just say so. But don't pretend that I didn't already address these verses head-on.
    No - the Bible is quite specific about what the Church is - and I laid out the Scriptural definition in my last post. It is NOT the generalized definition that YOU give it - it is very specific.
    Here it is again for your edification . . .

- The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31, Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).
    - Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6). He promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL Truth (John 16:12-15).
    - Jesus told the leaders of His Church that WHATEVER they bound or loosed on earth would ALSO be bound and loosed in Heaven (Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, John 20:21-23).
    - The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).
    - The Church is the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).
    - It is the light of the world - a city on a hill that cannot be hidden (Matt. 5:14).
    - Jesus identifies His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5).

The Church is NOT a disjointed gaggle of tens of thousands of perpetually-splintering sects that ALL teach different doctrines yet ALL claim to have been "led" to this confusion by the Holy Spirit.
    Christ's Church is ONE (John 17:20-23) - not tens of thousands of splinters . . .

6. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based on what?
    OK.
    So, I went through the Scriptures that you posted.

None of them declares that Mary was sinless.
    To me, you are making a case based on word association and nothing more.
    In some circles, it's called, "hyperbole".
    Here is the passage in the Douai-Rheims:
    " And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth,
    27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

28 And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women."

The Greek word used is "χαριτόω" which, literally translated means, "indue with special honor, make accepted, be highly favored."
    It is the exact same word as that found in Ephesians 1:6:

" Unto the praise of the glory of his grace, in which he hath graced us in his beloved son."

Therefore, like Mary, each and every believer is also "graced" or "highly favored" by God in the same way as she was.

It is not a name.
    It is a declaration of being in favor with God.

Just as Ephesians 1:6 states that all believers are..."graced" ( made accepted ) in His beloved Son.

The Angel said, "... Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women."
    That is what the Douai-Rheims says.

"Highly favored" is how some other translations put it.
    That is what the Greek word means.

#66 Dave G, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is definitely not found at the Vatican.
    it is a spiritual entity, not a physical one.

Every single believer in the world is "the church".

Not the Vatican, and not the Roman Catholic Church.
    Not the Greek Orthodox Church, and not the Russian Orthodox Church.

Not the United Methodist Church, and not the Reformed Church in America.
    Not the Anglican Church, and not the Lutheran Church.

Every single Holy Spirit -indwelt believer is the church.

#67 Dave G, May 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've answered your quotes by adding my own in green within the body of your text.
    As I see it, you're stretching this further than it can be sustained.

Mary and the Ark of the Covenant are not the same, and do not represent the same thing.
    The Ark is a symbol of the Covenant between God and men.
    The Ark represents Jesus Christ.

In fact, there are many types of Christ in the Old Testament.
    There are no types of Mary, a sinner that declared God as her Saviour.

Sadly, it seems that your focus is more on Mary...
    Mine is on Jesus, my Saviour.

He is the only one worthy of veneration and worship.

#68 Dave G, May 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now you're proving that you don't know what you're talking about.

The Douay-Rheims was translated from the Latin Vulgate and NOT the original Greek.
    Therefore - your ENTIRE argument against Mary's title of "Kecharitomene" goes right down the drain . . .

The Greek of Luke 1:28 is κεχαριτωμένη (Kecharitomene). Whereas the ROOT word is χηαριτοο (Charitoo) - the word itself is "Kecharitomene".

As I stated before - this word is used only ONCE in ALL of Scripture - and it indicates a
    completed action with a permanent result. It translates, “completely, perfectly, enduringly endowed with grace.”

Jerome translated this title as “Gratia plena” (full of grace). He could HARDLY write, “Hail, completely, perfectly, enduringly endowed with grace, which is a perfect passive participle, indicating a completed action with a PERMANENT result.”

“Full of grace” was simply the most concise way of explaining the above definition. He probably didn’t think that it would be an issue. Apparently - he didn't envision the rebellion and splintering that was to come 1100 years later . . .

10. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No - Jesus is what the ARK carried.
    Just as the original Ark carried the symbols of God's power - the New Ark carried GOD Himself.

The Ark is the vessel. Jesus is NOT the vessel.
    He is the fulfillment of the Covenant promises - the New Covenant.

11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're done, sir.

You can believe what you wish.
    I refuse to submit to an institution created by men, and instead submit to the Lord of all and His words alone.
    I am part of the church that the Lord has created here:

" but ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
    23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
    24 and to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than [that] of Abel."
    ( Hebrews 12:22-24 ).

I will not worship Mary, I will not venerate her, and I will never believe that she was anything but a sinner, exactly as I am.
    She was found in the grace and mercy of God, exactly as I am.
    She is my sister in the Lord, and nothing more.

I wish you well, and may He be pleased to reveal Himself to you through His word.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's NOT what the Bible says.

The Bible - as I already showed you, tells us that Christ's Church is a VISIBLE united entity (Matt. 5:14). It is NOT an invisible gaggle of disjointed splinter groups.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  13. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is why I said that YOU don't know what the Church is.
    It is NOT created by men. It was instituted by Christ Himself (Matt. 16:18).

Your refusal to submit to His Church is refusal to submit to HIM and the ONE who sent Him (Luke 10:16).
    Good luck with that . . .

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  14. Drifter

Drifter New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is going to seem a bit off topic but...take the idea of personal sin as it applies to a man with a profound intellectual disability. Maybe we would agree in saying that such a man has need of the saviour. But, has he personally committed grave sins? It seems that at least some people are preserved from commiting grave sins, no? So what if the saviour preserves, by grace, one person from committing grave sins for some (Christological) reason. What's the big deal? The Pauline sky isn't about to fall.

#74 Drifter, May 22, 2020
  15. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True, as it is written:

Psa 40:7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, (see also John 5:39; Hebrews 10:7)
    Psa 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.​

Thus, since the Law of the Father was in the heart of the Son, the Son is the Ark, born forth amongst men, which shows the Glory of God the Father, upon which rests the Holy Spirit.

Scriptural Mary (not Roman Catholicisms 'Mary') is simply the rickety cart (type), which bare the Ark (Jesus, as a child) for a brief time (2 Samuel 6:3). More than this, all who choose may bare this Ark (Jesus, by the Holy Ghost, through the word written) in their heart, even today (1 Kings 8), as Kings/priests of God; for with Jesus, comes the Law (Ten Commandments, the New Covenant in Jesus' blood written upon our heart).

You can see more of this here:

Sea of Glass - http://sdamaranathachurch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Sea-of-Glass.pptx

Deadicated to God - http://sdamaranathachurch.org/wp-co...eadicated-To-God-1-Kings-8-The-7th-Month.pptx

#75 Alofa Atu, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
  16. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think you need to be honest, history shows what the "Mystery Babylon" is and it doesn't take a book here or memo there to show it. There is a incredibly vast body of work that shows who fulfilled the description of this entity and it is clear who it is. Here is a good study by Bible Scholar and SDA Theologian Samuele Bacchiocchi of the central issue which is at the core of the struggle between God and the adversary...."Worship is the Central Theme of Revelation

The second significant conclusion that emerged from my preliminary study is that worship is the central theme of Revelation. It is the key to understand much of the book. No other book of the Bible contains so many worship scenes. Time and again John is shown heavenly and earthly beings praising God (4:9; 7:12; 11:17) and serving Him in His temple (7:15; 22:3).

The worshippers sing the song of Moses and the Lamb (5:9; 14:3; 15:3). They give praise to God (19:5) and glorify His name (15:4). Elders, angels and living creatures fall down before Him and worship Him (4:10; 5:8,14; 7:11; 11:16; 19:4). The word Amen and the exclamation Hallelujah are found regularly in settings of worship (1:6,7; 5:14; 7:12; 19:4; 19:1,3,4,6).

The verb "to worship-proskuneo"-a fundamental liturgical term-occurs 24 times in Revelation. This represents almost half of the New Testament occurrences. The worship of God and the Lamb radiates from the epicenter of the throne room of God, into even widening concentric circles which includes the four living creatures (19:4), the twenty-four elders (4:10; 5:14; 11:16; 19:4), all the angels (7:11), and all the nations (15:4). The final summon to mankind, is a call to "Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters" (Rev 14:7; emphasis supplied).

Simply stated, I discovered that worship is the key that unlocks Revelation. By understanding the reason for the centrality of worship in Revelation, we can interpret the prophecy of the mark and number of the beast in its proper historical setting.

Worship is the Root Cause of the Great Controversy

The third conclusion is closely related to the second. I found that the reason worship is so central in Revelation is because John was shown in vision that worship is the root cause of the titanic controversy between Christ and Satan. In Revelation 12, John describes how that the conflict over worship began in heaven when Michael and his angels fought and defeated the dragon (Satan) and his angels, both of whom were thrown down to the earth.

After his expulsion from heaven, Satan made this earth his theater of his operations, using all his resources to suppress the worship and worshippers of the true God, promoting instead the false worship of himself, through the unholy trinity, represented by the dragon, the sea-beast, and the land-beast, known also as the "false prophet."

The conflict comes to a climax in Revelation 13, where Satan, represented by the Dragon, empowers the sea-beast and the land-beast to enforce its false worship by placing a mark, a name, and the number 666 on the foreheads and hands of their followers. Thus, as we shall see, the mark, name, and number of the beast, represent the nature of the false worship promoted by the unholy trinity.

Why is Worship a Critical Issue in Revelation?

Why is worship such a critical issue in Revelation? Why worship is not the central theme of other New Testament books? Why only in Revelation Christians are warned against the dire consequences of participating in false worship?

For example, we read in Revelation 14:9-11: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured out full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the lamb. And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who received the mark of his name" (Rev 14:9-11).

Why is such a stern warning against false worship found only in Revelation? In the Pauline Epistle the central issue is faith versus works, but in Revelation the central issue is true worship versus false worship........

17. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ......Influence of Pagan Worship Upon Christian Churches

The second reason for the centrality of worship in Revelation is John's concern over the influence of pagan worship upon the Christian congregations of Asia Minor. We detect this concern in the messages of rebuke to six of the seven churches. The messages reveal that some congregations were conditioned by the pagan worship around them. When compared with the rest of the New Testament books, Revelation contains unusual sharp rebukes. The reason is that John addresses some divisive teaching promoted by some influential members.

In Revelation 2, John describes these false teachers by three different names: the Nicolaitans, Balaam, and Jezebel. "Nevertheless, I have a few things against you: You have people there who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin by eating food sacrificed to idols and committing sexual immorality" (Rev 2:14; NIV). The same issue of "eating of food sacrificed to idols" (Rev 2:20) is mentioned with reference to Jezebel.

Apparently, these false teachers saw nothing wrong in participating in the pagan worship of the Emperor and gods, by eating food which had been consecrated at their altars. This compromise with pagan worship threatened the spiritual life of some congregations. For example, the Church of Sardis is told: "I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die" (Rev 3:1-2).....

Warning Against False Worship Relevant Today

John's warning against false worship reaches beyond his time to the very end of time. This is indicated by the fact that the final attempts of the beast to enforce false worship, are followed immediately by the announcement of the fall of Babylon and the judgment upon the beast and her followers at the coming of the Son of Man in the cloud (Rev 14:14).....

False Worship is Promoted by the Papacy

The Papacy has played a major prophetic role in leading people into the false worship of God through icons, statues, crucifixes, relics, Mary, and above all, the exaltation of the pope. Any attempt to objectify Christ or the other members of the Trinity, by identifying them with objects, shrines, icons, crucifixes, or statues, is condemned by the Scripture as idolatry. This is the fundamental problem of Catholic worship. It is an idolatrous worship largely depended on objects as worship aids. Believers are deceived into believing that through the Eucharistic elements, holy relics, images, sacred shrines, they can experience the divine.

Worshipping God through objects ends up upstaging preaching, which is God's chosen means for communicating the faith and nurturing the spiritual life of His people. The Apostle Paul explains that "So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes by thepreaching of Christ (Rom 10:17). This means that saving faith comes through the reading, preaching and hearing of the Word of God, and not through the partaking of the physical body of Christ or the veneration of "holy" objects.

The pope promotes false worship today, especially by reviving Marian Worship. During this past year, Pope Benedict XVI has made constant appeals to pray to Mary for guidance and protection. The website "The Marian Thoughts of Pope Benedict VI, "lists over 90 appeals to pray to Mary that Benedict made between April 19 and November 6 (http://www.udayton.edu/mary/popessaying.html).

For example, on the day of the Feast of the Assumption, Benedict XVI said: "Mary was taken up body and soul into Heaven: there is even room in God for the body. Heaven is no longer a very remote sphere unknown to us. We have a mother in Heaven. And the Mother of God, the Mother of the Son of God, is our Mother. He himself has said so. He made her our Mother when he said to the disciple and to all of us: 'Behold, your Mother!' We have a Mother in Heaven. Heaven is open, Heaven has a heart." Does this mean that without Mary God does not have a heart?

It is hard to believe how the Catholic Church has succeeded in twisting Christ's words to John: "Behold, your mother" (John 19:27). By these words Jesus entrusted Mary to the care of John, and not mankind to the care of Mary. This is clearly indicated by Christ's statement to Mary: "Woman, behold your son" (John 19:26). By these two statements Jesus first entrusted John to Mary and then Mary to John. In these verses there is no exaltation of Mary as the mother of God and of mankind. The latter is a pure Catholic idolatrous fabrication.

Worship through Mary, saints, objects, shrines, icons, crucifixes, or statues, is condemned by the Scripture as idolatry. This is the fundamental problem of Catholic worship. It is an idolatrous worship largely depended upon human creatures and objects used as worship aids. Believers are deceived into believing that through Mary, the saints, the Eucharist, holy relics, images, sacred shrines, they are worshipping God, when in reality they are worshipping man-made idols."THE SETTING OF REVELATION AND THE MARK OF THE BEAST" Samuele Bacchiocchi

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good question. Wonder what the answer will be.

19. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I HAVE - likely a LOT more than YOU have. I have several encyclopediae & other unbiased works of history in fronta me, and I READ them, along with eleven English Bible versions, old & new. I have read the history of the "queena hevvin" myth.

Now, please show us a Scriptural reference to any 'queen of heaven' besides the idolatrous one besides in Jeremiah 7 & 44.

And also show us some Scripture saying Mary was anything but a young adult Jewish maiden of ordinary circumstances before she was visited by Gabriel, or any Scripture depicting her conception/birth being anything but ordinary.

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HIS Church is NOT the man-made RCC !

And still, the only Immaculate Conception we see in Scripture is that of Jesus Himself !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.