1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The forgotten power of open air preaching

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watching a DVD in defense of open air preaching called "Go Stand and Speak" ()

One of the open air preachers they are talking about is named Edward Bounds, anyone ever heard of him? The DVD also claims that its a Methodist tradition to preach the gospel in the open air, is this true? I know that these days open air is heavily misunderstood and frowned upon. 99% of people that are against open air have failed to do the research or watch a DVD like this one. Plenty of scripture support for open air is found in the Bible including Philip the evangelist and also the apostle Peter in Acts 8.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you remember, Mac warned about E. M. Bounds at the Strange Fire Conference:

26:40
    PHIL JOHNSON: I’d say deplorably bad theology, and you’re right. That is the entry level for a lot of young people. Jesus Culture was the music group this year at Louie Giglio’s Passion. John Piper was a speaker there. So this is not some far-off extreme out on the fringe. This stuff is bleeding into the mainstream of our churches.

MAC: You know, this is classic marketing, make people discontent, make them feel like they’re out of touch, out of date, out of style, out of mode. So you take a typical kid, put him in that environment, he is clueless about this kind of experience. "What is she talking about?" When I was in junior high, and, you know, there was never a time when I didn’t believe in the Lord, and I read Thomas à Kempis. I didn’t even know what he was talking about. But I thought, you’re missing something, you don’t have it. I’ve never had these 'mystical feelings' of the presence of God. So I got a book on prayer by E.M. Bounds, remember that, Phil? And it got worse. What is this? Then I got, Tom will identify with this, Witness Lee, and I’m a junior-high kid, I’m a high-school kid. I’m basically your average football player, baseball player guy who just loves the Lord and is wondering if I’m missing everything. I mean, they’re literally, they’re literally dupes for this kind of thing. You take a kid who knows his life isn’t right, who sees this kind of esoteric, almost transcendental kind of religious experience being portrayed before him, he has no idea what’s out there, he’s not theologically informed

#2 Jerome, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is entirely off topic for this thread. If mods are going to delete my post every time I mention the word "Gremlin" for being "off topic" then they need to hold other posters to the same accountability.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Besides the part of Bounds I am speaking well of is his open air preaching habits not his books on prayer!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You asked if anyone had heard of him and there was a response to your direct question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't want people to answer your questions, don't ask them. You asked. He answered. That is hardly off topic. :rolleyes:

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poppycock. YOU brought up Bounds as support for your position; someone brought up that Bounds' theology is suspect, as evidenced by the author you most readily ascribe to.

Consider the analogy: a certain man I've become aware of has a lot of money. I want a lot of money, too; but in the process of learning how this man made his money, I find out he cheated on his taxes.

I want the same result that he has; should I follow the same method, or consider other alternatives?

You're dangerously close to eisegesis -- finding reasons to support what you do, rather than letting scripture drive you to do something.

If scripture is telling you to open air preach, then do it, and stop worrying about defending it, because you don't need to. And if people are actually driving you to question, and find reasons to defend, what you're doing -- then maybe you *should* be questioning whether you should be doing it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ignorant people question it.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgotten power? How many converts and disciples have you made in all the 'open air preaching". If you haven't seen any how can you claim "forgotten power"?

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go buy and watch the DVD. Its not about being a pragmatist (which you are) but about obeying the great commission and Jesus's commands.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Evan - Why must everyone go out and spend money buying books and DVDs in order to understand your stance? Can't you defend it yourself? Why must others - who are responsible with their money and don't buy things that they don't want or need so that they are not in massive debt (which is a master according to the Bible) just to be able to argue with you?

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I am working allot of hours and do not have the time to defend a 2-hour DVD. The DVD does a great job defending open air preaching written from a Reformed POV.

13. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prudent people tend to question things.

14. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have time to post on the internet, right?

• Like Like x 1
  15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you apparently have time to watch a 2 hour DVD. Maybe others don't because they are working and paying their bills so they aren't in debt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of what Jesus commanded was that we make disciples. If you want to look at scripture as an example look at Acts 2 and 4. The gospel was preached and people were saved on the spot and of course added to the church. If looking to the command of Jesus and looking to scripture as an example is being a pragmatist then I stand guilty, but what it really is, is discovering what God has said and how God has worked in scripture. Failure to make disciples is failure to obey God's word. period.

#16 Revmitchell, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have time on my phone yes not necessarily time on a computer.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give us the Readers Digest version

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both Wesley and Whitefield were known for open air preaching.

One thing that we have to keep in mind is the audience. When these people preached outside this "open air preaching" is not exactly what you are speaking of here. They were preaching to an audience through a culturally accepted forum. This was not restricted to preaching, either (think of the expression "get off my soapbox"). Paul, for example, did not "street preach". He went to where the audience expected to listen to a discourse (the Areopagus).

What has occurred is technology has both rendered what was once called "open air preaching" a thing of the past. I say this not only because of available media but also because our lifestyles have changed. We no longer go to the street corner to get out news, listen to political speeches or hear sermons.

I am not saying that street preaching is wrong, please understand that. I am saying that we cannot look to past examples of open air preaching as support for street preaching because it simply is not the same.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you can't defend it yourself, are you sure it's correct?

A "B" student knows the material; an "A" student can actually regurgitate it.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.