1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Function of the Law in the New Covenant

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul says let each be persuaded.
    “One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.” (Romans 14:5–6) (KJV 1900)

If it bothers your conscience it is sin even if it isn't sin not to set aside a day. So I need to encourage you to follow your conscience in this matter. But Paul also says:

“Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” (Romans 14:22–23) (KJV 1900)

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 3
    17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Notice, Paul does not say Law here, although some on this thread think it says that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dave
    Both are mentioned in the passage

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 4:15 PM Pacific.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does NOT mean any specific day, this is the Sabbath rest of God for the people of God, the kingdom of God, the promised land, the land of milk and honey, as in:

11 As I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.
    19And we see that they were not able to enter in because of unbelief. Heb 3
    1 Let us fear therefore, lest haply, a promise being left of entering into his rest, any one of you should seem to have come short of it.
    2 For indeed we have had good tidings preached unto us, even as also they: but the word of hearing did not profit them, because it was not united by faith with them that heard.
    3For we who have believed do enter into that rest; even as he hath said, As I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
    4 For he hath said somewhere of the seventh day on this wise, And God rested on the seventh day from all his works;
    5 and in this place again, They shall not enter into my rest.
    6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some should enter thereinto, and they to whom the good tidings were before preached failed to enter in because of disobedience,
    7 he again defineth a certain day, To-day, saying in David so long a time afterward (even as hath been said before), To-day if ye shall hear his voice, Harden not your hearts.
    8 For if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoken afterward of another day.
    9 There remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.
    10 For he that is entered into his rest hath himself also rested from his works, as God did from his.
    11 Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, that no man fall after the same example of disobedience. Heb 4

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Oh how I love Your law!' So is that righteousness or legalism? :p

Sorry to be sending hit-and-run posts, but things are very busy at present.
    I haven't forgotten that I promised to post on 1 Timothy 1:8-11 and I will do so when I have time.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Moral standard is absolute, as that derives from the very character of the God, which is expressed to us in His 10 Commandments.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We still have to have an objective moral standard to aim for though!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God commanded to us to now assemble together on a Day, which Day up to ones convictions/preferences...

10. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does that even mean? A standard to aim towards?

Your aim is to avoid breaking the 10 commandments?

That is shallow worship.

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together speaks of meetings, not Sabbath keeping.

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    “If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:” (James 2:8) (KJV 1900)

13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, Hebrews speaks only of the Sabbath rest we have when we cease from Sabbath keeping and the rest of the Law.

14. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?
    Psalm 119:2-6. 'Blessed are they who keep His statutes and seek Him with their whole heart.
    They do nothing wrong; they walk in His ways.
    You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed.
    Oh! That my ways were steadfast in obeying Your decrees!'

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! You will do that if you obey the Commandments, specifically 4-10; not in order to be saved, but because you are saved and it is your delight to obey your Lord's commands (Psalm 40:8; Romans 6:15-18).

16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, if you love God and neighbor, you will harmonize with the Law even if you never heard it. Works of the flesh (legalism) cannot do this.

“Love does no wrong to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.” (Romans 13:10) (NET)

17. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice, you keep quoting OT

We have a fuller revelation of God's Righteousness in the Face of Jesus Christ, namely Love.

The Pharisees condemned Christ for Healing and working on the Sabbath. They didn't understand the purpose and intent of the Law, they thought it was to have something to "Aim towards" for righteousness--just Like @Yeshua1 seems to think.

Love is not restricted!

Galatians 5
    For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. 4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control;
    against such things there is no law.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And your problem with that is exactly what?
    But you can have Romans 6:15-18 for the same price. :)

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey-- whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness.............'

19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last post--I can only pray for those who want to be "law keepers"--many are not ready for true freedom in Christ.

God said be perfect, be holy...And that is not accomplished by "Not breaking the 10 commandments." It is accomplished through the Life of Christ being lived out of us (Phil. 2) by us living by faith through Love. There is nothing more to be said to those who do not understand the intent and purpose of the Law (especially concerning God's covenant towards the OT inhabitants of Israel under a Theocracy).

• Like Like x 1
  20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    “For all who rely on doing the works of the law are under a curse, because it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not keep on doing everything written in the book of the law.”Now it is clear no one is justified before God by the law, because the righteous one will live by faith.But the law is not based on faith, but the one who does the works of the law will live by them.Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us (because it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”)in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham would come to the Gentiles, so that we could receive the promise of the Spirit by faith.” (Galatians 3:10–14) (NET)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.