1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Future of Small Rural Churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dh1948, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jonthebaptist

jonthebaptist New Member

I would not worry about any judgements made. As someone once said, if you find a perfect church, dont join it because it wont be perfect anymore.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no doubt this is exactly the attitude of most today who claim to be Christian. They actually seek churches that are so off track that they love the sin of the church because it agrees with their lifestyle. They seek to have their ears tickled. They do not want to hear about sin and especially theirs. They do not want to be held accountable for their sin, and worst of all they do not want Jesus as Lord because if they did they would be seeking a church that obeys His word. Finding a church that is obedient to the Lord of the church is not perfect, but it is His church.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You cerainly must have not read my posts. I am saying that in this area there is not a single church that meets the Lord's callings and it includes where I attend. :tear:

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, I did not. I read the post to which I responded which is generally what is done on these things.

I am glad to hear you are not one of these who pounds his chest about how FEW people he has as if that is a sign of how holy his people are and how much in the will of God they are.

I am still curious about your definition of holiness since you sweepingly declared that 99.9% percent of churches on earth do not meet these your stringent standards of holiness.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have no standards except that which the Lord has given. Holiness is complete surrender to His standards.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's keep to the point of the thread.

Start a new one on "standards" or "holiness" (falsely so-called, keeping to the traditions of modern pharisees) and I will join in!! ;)

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The thread subject is the future of small rural churches----to which many who have posted can't see ANY future

to which I will add

The small rural church has just about as much of a future as some rather large surburban and urban churches of the past I am familiar with

I can name you a dozen large suburban churches that WERE rather healthy in the PAST---but whos doors are now locked up tighter than Fort Knox----in the Baton Rouge area

A good majority of the small rural churches will still "click'" along long after many large(and even mega) churches surrender their property to their association or state conventions and hand the door keys over to the convention presidents!!!

#27 blackbird, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I believe the small church and the small rural church is here to stay, it is safe.

Some of the greatest works of God that I've seen came out of small churches. God put me in, a places similar to your town that you described above.

One in a town of about 1200 people, when I went to the church is was averaging about 20 folks, when I left in three years the average was about 125 folks and we had started another church out in the country about 6 miles away and their average was about 75. That isn't the story, out of that church has come three men call to preach His Word and two missionaries. When one sees God's hand at work like that, you thank God for putting you in places like that.

So if one is counting numbers, how big is that small church in a small town? The pastors God called to that church over the years must have followed the Holy Spirit lead, because the families did a great job with their children. A lot like John and Charles Wesley mother a shame that the only people she had been used to plant the seeds of Salvation was here children, her children was used to plant a lot of seeds. We could even talk about D.L. Moody's Sunday school teacher. Much to the glory of God comes out of so called small workers.

#28 Bob Alkire, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  9. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Are you asking me to "proof text" the work of a local church?

How about this:

Act 2:38-47 (KJV) Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call. 40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. 41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added [unto them] about three thousand souls. 42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. 44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common; 45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all [men], as every man had need. 46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Act 4:1-4 (KJV) And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them, 2 Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead. 3 And they laid hands on them, and put [them] in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide. 4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

Act 4:19-21 (KJV) But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. 20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard. 21 So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all [men] glorified God for that which was done.

11. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

What can I say except, "thank you! thank you! thank you!" I have received some excellent response, and my insight into the mentality of the small rural church.

I am not sure in what direction the Lord will lead me. I am open to the possibility of a bi-vocational pastorate in a small church. It will take a lot of changing on my part, but if the Lord wills, I am available. In the meantime I will continue to welcome opportunities to preach anywhere, anytime.

Thanks again to all of you who responded with such wisdom! Blessings!

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Thanks for your concern, but you REALLY do not know much about our church. In fact, you have just about totally missed what it is that we do concerning the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Others have asked you to define holiness -- I see that term as meaning "set apart for God's use" in short form, and that could be filled in some with a longer, more theological explanation of each of the words used in that description, but that will suffice for now.

The reason I posted what I did is because we are indeed following the Scriptures very closely -- about as closely as a church in the 21st century can, including church discipline for members who, under covenant, fail to live up to the requirements that they agreed upon for membership. The other reason I posted what I did is because this church is now just nearing its 10th anniversary. It started with a mere handful of people in an upper room in an artsy part of town, surrounded by perhaps the most pagan expression of culture in the entire city of Louisville. Virtually NO ONE expected that God could raise up a church in that atmosphere, where weirdness is THE most prized commodity. Yet, by following the dictates of Scripture theologically, while not worrying so much about local "flavor" or "culture" we have indeed grown a gospel-centered church from out of nothing. We are at work transforming the community in which we live.

You mentioned "spiritual." I'm still looking for the place in the Word where God called us to be "spiritual" people or to have "spiritual" churches. We are to be faithful, obedient, God-honoring and worshiping, relationship building--love one another and love God--sort of churches, but where does "spiritual" come into the mix? Especially if that means that the church simply becomes an enclave akin to a stone room in a monastery? THAT is IMHO one of the biggest issues with small churches and why they remain small. God told us to GO OUT and we STAY IN to remain something akin to "holy" which is often ill-defined to mean something that God never meant it to be.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not sure exactly what translation you use but the scripture is clear on the term spiritual. I suggest that you look into a concordance for the word since it does call us to it and we will be IF we are saved. There is no question that small churches will remain as well as large ones. However large or small does not constitute spiritual evidence. The problem is not that the church on earth is going by the wayside but that the church of God is declining at a great pace do to a lack of spirituality. (True seeking of God) not the God I want but the One of the bible.

14. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread has gone a lot of directions, but as to the OP and the first few replies...
    My ministry has been spent, for the most part, in small rural churches. The first thoughts that come to mind are these:
    - Small, rural churches are here to stay. Just the way it is.
    - Small, rural pastoring requires great patience (as has been described
    dealing with the old decorations, paintings, etc.)
    - Earning the "right" to make changes comes by love. I think a mistake is often made in focusing on changing the people. If God has called a pastor to a particular work, it is his responsibilty to love them. This breaks down huge barriers and engenders trust. THis might mean milking cows, cutting hay, gutting deer, pulling weeds, listening to old stories multiple times, etc. Key #2 is Preach the Word. If they are saved, God will change them.
    - I think it's also important to learn and appreciate the history of the church that they are hanging on to. It's not the hideous picture that they love, but Aunt Hazel who painted it. Learn about Aunt Hazel and express appreciation for her and the others in the church's history.
    - No young people? REACH THEM. Maybe the most effective way to have influence is to win and disciple people who are new to the church - you are their pastor and gradually they will outnumber any that are truly stiff-necked and not just defensive of their history.

A pastor who comes into a small, rural work that has a history and stubborn people stuck in their traditions has no hope of success if he announces or demonstrates that he is there to change everything. They view it as THEIR church. Their grandparents were a part of it, and you are an outsider. A little respect for their traditions and history goes a long way.

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is good stuff.

I've been in a small community church that in the last few years been overtaken by a larger city. But for the 1st 6 years (going on 13 now), I concentrated on loving the families of the people who established the church 100 years previous. Then in the last 6 years, we have changed some things that needed changing but I've always approached it from the view that the church was founded by people who wanted to reach this community with the story of Jesus and provide funds so that the Gospel could be sent throughout the world. This resonated with the founders chidren and grandchildren. But if they hadn't been loved on for years, they never would have heard the message.

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post!:applause:I would only add one thing, which you and Tom Bryant didn't exactly say but implied, and that is LONGEVITY. The longer you stay, the more they will learn to trust. Also, the longer you stay, the better chances you will outlive the stiff necked older ones who control everything.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Amen! :thumbs:

18. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Again, I want to say thanks! You men and ladies have so much wisdom about this matter. I am glad I sought input from you.

I have learned much by reading your comments. You see, you can each an old dog new tricks!!

19. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Good advise

20. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Not what I was asking. What i was looking for is where does the Bible instruct us to set a specific task for members as you describe. Where do i get the authority to tell our church members how much they will give? Where does scripture have me set each member in a ministry? Isn't that the job of the Holy Spirit. For the Pastor/deacons/elders to set such guidelines falls under the doctrine of the nicolaitians. Read Rev 2