1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by AndyMartin, May 27, 2017.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Drawn up by the 1646 Westminster Assembly as part of the Westminster Standards to be a confession of the Church of England, it became and remains the "subordinate standard" of doctrine in the Church of Scotland and has been influential within Presbyterian churches worldwide."

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You had said it was written up by a bunch of Confessional Anglicans. But that was not the case, as I explained.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "a confession of the Church of England,"

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are ignoring the reality that mainly Presbyterians wrote it up. The actual authorship is my point --not what body approved it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NONE whoa re unsaved will be able to understand the spiritual truth of the bible unaided, as it is "Greek" to them!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The elect will be the ones who respond to the message of the Cross and get saved! that shows that God had chosen them to be saved...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good news is that we are bound by the bible only as our standard for doctrines!

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y1 makes these sort of absurd and false statements non-stop. Never cites scripture. Paul spoke to new Christians as to "men of flesh," therefore men of flesh can understand and respond to the milk of the gospel. See 1 Corinthians 3:1-3. Total Spiritual Inability is false theology as has been shown by three independent lines of evidence. It is true no one seeks after God "all the time" because we are not seeking God when sinning. OTOH, Matthew 23:13 teaches unsaved men were entering the kingdom of heaven, therefore they had some spiritual ability. Jesus taught in parables to preclude folks from understanding and being healed.
    God harden hearts (Romans 11) which means they had some spiritual ability before being hardened. On and on the evidence is overwhelming, yet all evidence is ignored with the "taint so" mantra.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul stated that they were SAVED< but acting as if they were not, as flesh, and to paul, there are babes in Christ, mature, and carnal, those not saved and ignorant to spiritual truths!

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture says Paul spoke to them as men of flesh. Therefore men of flesh can understand spiritual milk. See 1 Corinthians 3:1-3.
    The "T" of the Tulip is false theology as demonstrated by many passages in scripture. Why is it harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God, than for others, if both have no spiritual ability. Folks, no answer will be forthcoming, just another "taint so" post.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Sorry but you are one ignorant guy, WHY DON'T YOU STUDY REFORMED THEOLOGY BEFORE MAKING A FOOL OUT OF YOURSELF? SERIOUS?

You don't know what you are talking about, Calvinism does NOT SAY NO, EVERYONE IS CALLED, but only the Chosen WILL COME, get the difference? We are to preach TO ALL, and ANYONE who believes on the Lord Jesus Christ will be saved, BUT, ONLY the elect will come. Listen to Jesus Christ version of how this works, He gives us a perfect example;

John 6 et al. "You are UNABLE to come to me UNLESS the Father who has sent me DRAWS HIM, ALL that the Father DRAWS WILL COME, and I will raise him up on the last day". Now if you know language this is very simple, and you'll never get over or under John 6, the Jews were grumbling, wondering how Jesus could be the Messiah, he cuts them off and explains "How it works", He says first we are unable to come to Him, UNLESS something happens, what is that something? "Unless the Father DRAW HIM", and how many of those drawn will come? ALL, so we are all dead in sin, unable to come to Christ, doesn't mean invitation isn't given, just as the ten commandments were given to a people who couldn't do them, if the Father draws us (Greek "Dragged"), then we won't come.

Sorry this is why I don't debate, this guy's never studied a day in his life, puts up this stupid post and thinks he's made a point.

12. Christine Baker

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi.
    I'm not really sure of what ur question is. I'm not a Calvinist (nor of any other denomination. Just a stay at home, semi-disabled, worshipper of my God, Jesus.) but concerning who gets saved, I read in 1 Tim 4:10 that Jesus is the Saviour of all men, especially of believers. Also, aren't we all spiritually dead until He makes us alive together with Him, anyway? Eph 2:1.

Surely, anyone who says, "We must do this or that to be truly saved!", is mistaken? I thought Jesus does the saving and we enter into His rest? It's all very confusing to me to hear ppl ranting on about a side issue, when it's obviously just another attempt to distract anyone from the main issue - that being Jesus Himself. Surely, if we are focused on our blessed Lord, we walk in the light as He is in the light? Then we don't stumble about in the dark but have the light of life? Don't get distracted off onto a side road but stick to the long and narrow way.

The fact of the matter is that we all only know in part. If we fully knew now, we'd only have to suffer a greater punishment at the last day for our continuation in sin whilst having knowledge. We are flesh and subject to it (Rom 7:25) and sin is condemned in the flesh (ch8). Too many ppl get this idea in their heads that they must DO stuff to prove their sincerity to God. It's actually a display of unbelief.

Of all ppl, we so called 'Christians' are supposed to be loving one another. We are supposed to reveal this love of Christ to the world. To me it appears we are more inclined to demonstrate our own indignant and impatient irritation with one another, and that before the world too. One says I am of Apollos! Another, I am of Cephas!

Let us love one another therefore, accepting one another for Christ's sake. Let us not keep challenging one another, hating one another. To Him be the glory.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, the illustration of Lazarus being dead does not properly illustrate just exactly what it means to be spiritually dead. It is in fact contrary to much of scripture. Romans 10:9 says the lost are to believe and confess you will be saved. No physically dead man can do that.

Further, we are commanded in Romans 6:11 to count ourselves dead to sin but alive to God. If being dead in sin means one cannot respond to the gospel then it would also have to mean that being dead to sin means we cannot respond to sin. Since Christians do in fact respond to sin (that we are to count ourselves dead to) then the physically dead illustration falls apart.

Romans 10:14 asks "How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed?" The answer from the cal/reformed/ particular position is that they must first be regenerated before they can believe.

Calvinists cannot honestly claim to believe in faith alone. They need to add they hold to regeneration and faith for salvation in order to keep their integrity.

In Romans 10:9-17 it creates an immediate need to hear the gospel to be saved but the calvinist see a need for their to be regeneration and to hear the gospel. Of course that is no where found in the gospel message.

No they do not squirm they attack. They engage in ad hominem logical fallacies. They will directly or by implication call you stupid and categorize your posts as such or ignorant at best. This is when you know they have no further argument.

14. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All those verses you quote, support election, and God's adoption resulting in redemption. It's disappointing that you cannot grasp why.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Wow! No Exegesis, this is called EIEGESIS.

Yes, they are DEAD. And yes they will HEAR HIS VOICE, but what else does John say about the topic?

John 6; The Jews were grumbling among themselves, "How can this be the Christ", "Don't we know Him", Jesus said "Why do you grumble among yourself, do you not know you are UNABLE to come to me unless the Father who sent me DRAW HIM". So here we have a condition, they are trying to figure out how He can be Christ, Jesus gives the reason why they can't figure it out "Do you not know you are UNABLE", then Jesus says a certain CONDITION MUST OCCUR BEFORE THEY CAN BELIEVE.

"All that the Father draw WILL COME TO ME", not some, not part, not all are drawn but some will come, ALL THAT ARE DRAWN WILL COME, it's 100%. Then Jesus follows up with "And the one coming to me I will in no way cast out".

Here we have total depravity, which never means we are as evil as can be, we are not devils, God is good to all, even those He hates, "You are unable", we have irresistible grace "Unless the Father DRAW HIM", and perseverance of the saints "I will in no way cast away".

No Arminian in history has been able to jump John 6:40 et al, they don't even try in commentaries, and in debates are speechless, I'm sure that won't stop the ignorant on this site, but I'm talking about the experts.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "How to Debate" by A. Calvinist.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.