1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Gospel is not

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Barry Johnson, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A person is saved after he believes the Gospel . He is sealed by the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one can be a Christian unsaved .

3. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why would you then say "...most Christians do not know what the Gospel is"?

4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are new here and don’t seem to know what most people here know. But before you bother answering my question above, just know that not only do most people here know the Gospel, it is against board rules to question another’s salvation.

5. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of the isms
    Good grief!! what are you on about..? As you say I do not know folks on here , so how could I be isolating someone ? its a general statement about christianity.

6. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I've never really met someone who claims to be a believer that does not believe and understand the contents of 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, I would go so far as to say that most professing Christians that I run into in various places, have never grown much in their belief and understanding of God's word.

They will believe one thing that Scripture teaches, but not another.

To put it another way, they never seem to progress beyond the typical sermons that are preached every Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night...
    Ever.
    Whatever their pastor teaches them is as far as they ever go, for their entire lives.
    It saddens me that so few seem to deeply care about Jesus Christ, much less to "continue" in His word.

" Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed;" ( John 8:31 ).

Neither do they appear to develop a genuine and abiding distaste for the sins they commit, or for this world and its ways.:(

#26 Dave G, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember D. A. Carson making the same comment.

8. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone can be saved by hearing the Gospel .But its after that they mess up the Gospel to teach to others.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like your "gospel" has been truncated. The gospel is more than intellectually agreeing with the claims of Christ, but also includes love and devotion such that we faithfully strive to keep His commandments, and not just the ones concerning personal behavior, i.e. becoming Christ-like, but also our ministry as ambassadors of Christ begging the lost to be reconciled to God.

When we turn to God and trust in Christ, we go "all in" and if we do not, the outcome might be like soil #2 or #3 of Matthew 13.

When we "examine ourselves" to see if we are "of the faith" it gives us confidence and assurance when we find our lifelong commitment to Christ as one of his "faithful" servants.

I think it is important to present the whole gospel, and not just a sales brochure.

10. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you be mixing The Gospel with what comes after salvation?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough, I say you exclude part of the gospel (commitment and service) and you say I have added to the gospel of Christ.

But in all fairness, why does not your "gospel" simply produce folks in soil #2 and soil #3 categories? Never saved because God chose not to credit their superficial "faith" as righteousness.

12. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    if you mean 'believe in vain 'I would agree . but believing is met with a 'change of mind ' . however its not a 'commitment 'or a 'promise to serve ' 'repent of sinning 'It s believing from the heart .

13. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit = you must be saved by grace and have the Holy Spirit before you can believe.

14. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    22¶But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    24And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
    in this context do unbelievers have the same love , joy , peace , long-suffering, gentleness ect ? have you thought this through properly? Unbelievers do not have the Holy Spirit. How could they benefit from the ' Fruit ' ? When you were unsaved you did not benefit from the Fruit .

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you? If saving faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit, you say flesh faith saves instead.

16. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    where does it say ' saving faith ' ?

17. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    “For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:” Ephesians 2:8 (NCPB)

18. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    ok different context now , subtle .
    Ephesians 2 is talking about salvation ..But faith is clearly not the gift ( Even Calvin agreed on this ) salvation is the Gift and its THROUGH faith .

19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, real faith is a fruit of the Spirit. Human faith cannot recognize the true Christ and only fabricates idols.

20. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    No the Faith mentioned in Galations , just like love , Joy , peace ect are not the same, ' Faith in the galations context is something that comes only to a believer after he is saved . The same gift of faith mentioned in corinthians . Its a extra measure of faith for the saints .