1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Gospel is not

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Barry Johnson, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry, but I am not going to continue to discuss this. In my opinion you are denying the gospel.

2. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Cor 15 ,1-4 IS the Gospel , no ' follow me' or a promise to serve there . God bless.

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture does not say we must do anything else but believe. As far as living godly lives. Where does scripture say that we have to?, to remain saved. We are not slaves but friends of Jesus Christ. As far as fruits I believe this pertains to the souls we have won for Christ. The other works are an opportunity to tell them about the saving power of Christ while you have there attention.
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pay no attention to false teachers who deny when Jesus said "keep my Commandments" he meant it. The true gospel teaches when we turn to God and put our trust in Christ, we fully (wholeheartedly) commit to Christ with our full devotion and love. This results in faithful service to Christ. Those that deny this cannot handle the truth. :)

5. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    whats the list of commands we need to keep to be saved ?

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nonsense sounds like Lordship Salvation to me!
    Christ did not free us from the Law just to place us under a different Law. We are free from the Law and according to the Bible those born of God do not sin.
    1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
    1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
    1Jn 3:11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

I was taught to love everyone. It is not by my righteousness that I'm saved but by that of Christ righteousness. I wear it like clothing. Faith is the only thing counted as righteousness. Rom 4:5
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trust and believe in Christ.
    MB

#87 MB, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Utterly false and deliberate misrepresentation of my view, God credits "live faith" not "dead faith."

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Complete nonsense. Galatians 6:2
    Did any say works saves or sustains salvation? Nope So more nonsense.

Do any of the "Easy Believism" advocates explain soil #2 and soil #3? Nope

10. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would never agree that salvation is by works in any way. The same epistle that has MB's quote says in chapter 1 that if any of the little children says they they have not sinned is a liar and makes him a liar.

I am an advocate of easy believism if the only other alternative is hard believism. Defining the soils in the parable in Matt 13 is easy. Soil #1 = Jerusalem. Soil #2 = Judea. Soil #3 = Samaria. Soil # 4 = all the world (Jn 4:43)

I always say when speaking of locations and geography, one just needs to look at what the historical records say about it to determine where it is.

For instance the scriptures say that Jesus came to his own and I looked and he only ministered in Jerusalem (Jn 3:1-21), Juda (Jn 3:22-36), Samaria (Jn 4:42), and Galilee, called Galilee of the nations. That was the order. It was not at the same time.This is the same order the apostles took in Acts.

The scriptures say Paul was sent by God to the gentiles and I wondered how to define gentiles and so I looked to see where he went. He went west into Europe on all of his missionary trips. What am I to make of that since there is an east, north, and south?

#90 JD731, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We differ both in our understanding of scripture and in our method of study of scripture.

1) No one is advocating "works salvation."
    2) No one is saying born anew believers are not aware that they sin, and should strive to not do the things they see as sinful.
    3) I am saying, if a person is indeed born anew, from God's perspective they do not sin, because God remembers no more their sins forever.
    4) "Hard believism" seems to be a strawman construct of the Easy Believism advocates.
    5) I believe all four soils refers to types of people, and not to areas.
    6) Jesus said to spread the gospel everywhere, to the ends of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
    7) Gentiles are simply "non-Jews" or everyone else.

#91 Van, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  12. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Commenting on #4)

Biblical believing is like a nickel. It has two sides, heads and tails. Repentance toward God is heads, and faith in Jesus Christ is the other side. Saving faith assumes repentance. A man has a soul. God cannot repent and believe for him.

Commenting on #5)

Then you would be wrong if you believe in context. We are told in Mat 13 that the field is the world. The seed is the word. It is planting season in Mat 13. Read on and you will get to the harvest before you leave the chapter. So, we have an over view of the whole crop season in this chapter.

Commenting on #7

Generally speaking, yes. Technically, no. The table of nations is given in Gen 10. I would start my research there.

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where doe Jesus Christ say keep my commandments?
    MB

14. mailmandan

mailmandan Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gospel is not a set of rituals to perform, a code of laws to be obeyed or a check list of good works to accomplish as a prerequisite for salvation.

The gospel Is the “good news“ of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16)

To “believe” the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think God knows when we believe the Gospel .

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Agree with the nickel illustration.
    2) Saving faith is faith God credits as righteousness, and because of my view of soil #2 &3, God does not credit "dead faith." lacking commitment, love and devotion.
    My understanding of the "context" differs from yours. Matthew 13:19 when "anyone hears..." thus types of people rather than locations is the context. Verse 20 "this is the man..." again pointing to kinds of people.
    My view that anyone and everyone who is not a Jew is a Gentile is the accepted view. as indicated at Romans 3:29.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 14:15
    “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

John 15:10
    “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and this is His commandment;
    Joh 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
    This is the fulfillment of the Law as I said before. If we love one another we will not steel from or lie to them or hurt them in any way. It's easy but very few do love one another.
    MB

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you are spot on, if we love one another we will not use ad hominems, misrepresent opponents or scripture, and seek to edify. If you study Matthew, more than 70 commands or instructions can be discerned. We are to live by the Word.