1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Great Flood

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Oct 18, 2017.

1. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The bigger question is how did the kangaroos get to australia after the flood, and why isn't there any fossils of them anywhere else?

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    After the flood, the sudden drop of atmospheric pressure, due to the collapse of the vapor canopy, caused a mini-ice age entrapping 10s of billions of gallons of water in ice sheets exposing land bridges between the continents. As the Earth warmed and the ice melted, the land bridges were flooded and the present continental shapes remained.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thats a very good explanation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Noah noticed heat and cold, And God said to him:
    • Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
    It could be said that day and night was from the first day, but all the others may have been new to Noah. It may have been a temperate climate over the globe as some believe.

How did animals get to any island? How does the monarch butterfly migrate from Canada and various parts of US to a certain part of Mexico and the same tree each year where their ancestors wintered, although none of them have ever done the journey before, when the same butterflies in other parts of the world don't have such migratory patterns? Why do birds migrate south in winter, leaving at a time when the food is abundant?

Here is a possible answer. In Genesis we read
    • Genesis 6:19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
    • Genesis 6:20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.
    Just as God caused the animals to come to Noah from wherever they were, he could have caused them to return. Before the days of Peleg.
    • 1 Chronicles 1:19 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg; because in his days the earth was divided: and his brother's name was Joktan.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gen 6:13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Gen 6:17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

There's no question that Genesis is describing a global judgement. "All flesh" that is on "the earth" and "under the heaven"

Quibble all you want over land masses, if it was under the heaven, it was judged.

The question isn't about what the Bible says, the question is whether or not one believes it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best answer, as the Bible certainly states was worldwide, and to reject that view is to accept something else as being more "inspired".

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone done any research to show the percentage of those that limit the flood to less than the whole world also discredit other Scripture authority, too?

I was just wondering if there was a consistency when one discounts the account in one area to what extent that thinking then migrates throughout the whole.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There does seem to a common thread to when one sees it as just local flood, as they at times do seem to move into seeing genesis as not really literal also!

9. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did read a book on ancient Chinese history which said that the earliest Chines dynasty that had writing had a flood tradition, which said the god who rebuilt the earth after the flood was called Nu Wah. If I remember correctly it was the Shang Dyasty.

10. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know little about hydrology. Water flows downhill most of the time.

There are three references to sources of water for The Great Flood: Gen 7:11-12

1. ....fountains of the deep broken up
    2. ....windows of heaven opened
    3. ....rain for forty days and forty nights

Was it enough H2O? How many firkins per fortnight is really not important.

The Bible says it was enough water:

Gen. 7:19, ...all the high hills that were under the whole heaven were covered.

Vs. 20 ...fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail and the mountains were covered.

The earth before The Flood was completely different after The Flood.

This is the wrath of God. He destroyed the human race except for eight souls who found Grace from God. This is a stern warning even today.

God is going to destroy the earth again: see II Peter 3:10.

Are we ready?

Where is our treasure?

Even so, come Lord Jesus

Bro. James

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satan asked Eve if God really meant what He said. When we come accross a verse or passage that apparently says our previous understanding may be flawed, do we take the pride road or the logical road? Does God really mean everybody (save 8) died? As for me, I firmly believe we should take God at His word, rather than add, delete or alter to change the message to one of our liking.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed it is. I was going to say they jumped there.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is in accord with the forum dealing with the error of New Evangelicalism.

HankD

14. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great sources for this topic are authors like Ken Ham, Henry Morris, and Kent Hovind. Theses are all Young Earth Creationists and believe the earth is not older then 10,000 years; the Flood was GLOBAL; and the continents that we have today are a result of the Flood. I would suggest for everyone to look into their works.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good man.

Good man.

Stay away from this guy.

The best book on the subject that I have found is "The Genesis Flood" by Dr. John C. Whitcomb and Dr. Henry Morris.

Dr. Whitcomb is a graduate of Princeton, where he studied historical geology and paleontology. He received his doctorate from Grace Theological Seminary in Winona Lake, Indiana,

"The Genesis Flood" largely grew out of his doctoral dissertation. Dr. Whitcomb asked Dr. Henry Morris to check the science contained in the book. Dr. Morris held a B.Sc. in civil engineering from Rice, and a master's degree in hydraulics and a Ph.D. in hydraulic engineering from the University of Minnesota.

I recommend the book with the highest possible praise.

(In the interest of full disclosure, Dr. Whitcomb was a visiting professor when I was at Central Seminary so I may be a bit biased.) :)

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The relatively tiny amount of water behind manmade dams has caused earthquakes. The immense and sudden weight of water plus the effect of release from the fountains of the deep must have caused monster quakes, possibly while the floodwaters were still extant and thus unnoticed by the ark's occupants. That things like climate change (ice age, etc), continental movement (or revealing), and mountain building occurred following such a calamitous event should be no surprise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why stay away from Kent Hovind?

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is a convicted felon. Twice married. Who spouts wrong "science."

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Short answer: he spouts off lies intended to bolster the Creation argument, but makes us look stupid to atheists because of his junk science.

Ken Ham is good. I may not agree with him on everything, but I believe he is a good and intelligent man.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What vapor canopy?