1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Historicity of Adam: how important?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Calminian, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God gave to Moses what really happened, was and is inspired text, so why the need to harmonize?

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus and Paul accepted genesis as being historaical account recording of real events, not myths or allogories, and not fitting into what other text in other cultures recorded down!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This redefining genesis to fit into cosmological assumptions, to be the Temple of the Lord, to try to fit modern accepted scientific so called facts seem to be the one to get to a non inspired text!

4. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If God gave the text to Moses via direct revelation, they're in the same boat. But I believe Genesis likely came about the way most biblical historical narratives came about. Per Henry Morris,

“Visions and revelations of the Lord” normally have to do with prophetic revelations of the future (as in Daniel, Ezekiel, Revelation, etc.). The direct dictation method of inspiration was used mainly for promulgation of specific laws and ordinances (as in the Ten Commandments, the Book of Leviticus, etc.). The Book of Genesis, however, is entirely in the form of narrative records of historical events. Biblical parallels to Genesis are found in such books as Kings, Chronicles, Acts, and so forth. In all of these, the writer either collected previous documents and edited them (e.g., I and II Kings, I and II Chronicles), or else recorded the events which he had either seen himself or had ascertained from others who were witnesses (e.g., Luke, Acts).​

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not speak the truth!

"These are seven twenty-four-hour days. This has always been the best reading of the Hebrew text. Those who have tried to alleviate the tension for the age of the earth commonly suggested that the days should be understood as long eras (the day-age view). This has never been convincing" Walton, LWOG1 p. 90

"When we identify Adam and Eve as historical figures, we mean that they are real people involved in real events in a real past. They are not inherently mythological or legendary, though their roles may contribute to them being treated that way in some of the reception history. Likewise they are not fictional" Walton, LWOA&E, p. 101

“If Genesis 1 is not an account of material origins, then it offers no mechanism for material origins, and we may safely look to science to consider what it suggests for such mechanisms. We may find the theories proposed by scientists to be convincing or not, but we cannot on the basis of Genesis 1 object to any mechanism they offer.” Walton, The Lost World of Genesis One. p 162

Rob

6. Calminian

Site Supporter

Walton's Adam is not the biblical Adam—progenitor of the humans race. And his six days are not the creation of the actual universe. He believes it's all literary myth. So long as we're being honest.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm using the word allegory in the way the OP said that the man in question used it.
    Opposite of literal.
    Possibly fictitious.
    Making the truth of God up for debate.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In that case I will agree with you. I was just making the point that all who use the word "allegory" in reference to Genesis are not necessarily wrong. We have to discern what they mean by the word. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that I have anything against writing, but that seems to leave out oral history.

I mean, secular academics don't bat an eye at Greek, Norse, or Frankish bards (or an ἀοιδός) memorizing and accurately transmitting reams of information.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True Walton’s:Adam is not the one in the photo in your bible.
    And his books certainly do not teach you what you have been taught all your life. ... but that’s what learning is all about.

Walton makes a strong biblical case for what the Bible tells us about creation and relates how other biblical authors use Adam’s life to tell us about God’s plan for mankind.

Nuff said, read the books!

Rob

#30 Deacon, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without a real historical Adam and Eve Christianity comes unraveled.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Calminian

Site Supporter

I have to agree.
    I've got both of his books, genesis and the flood. Almost done with genesis. Walton promotes non-concordist nonsense and even a form of gnosticism. He believes you cannot understand Genesis without some hidden knowledge of the ancient world—a world thousands of years after the Genesis events ironically. Del Tackett nails it: The Gnostic World of John Walton.

13. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like the majority view. If space is the second heaven, then God is not "headquartered" here but in the third heaven. So I wonder if the universe is finite? The problem with secular science is that it really falls of its own weight and has no answers at all. Does anyone believe Darwin anymore? Does anyone believe Big Bang anymore?

More importantly, as everyone has said, if there is no first Adam, why do we need a last Adam? Is Jesus a liar, a lunatic, or the Lord?

Finally, I think that Adam wrote a book that came to Noah and then to Moses. Noah has been underestimated and Adam had to have been the smartest man because some of his sons have been wise, such as Solomon and John the Baptist.

#33 church mouse guy, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  14. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As it should be . A real Adam and Eve are necessary .

allegory is harder to challenge as it depends what form this allegory takes place. 1. The story of Adam and Eve is a metaphor ( didn't exist) 2. Adam and Eve existed but were leaders/King and Queen of a tribe( often dismisses other elements of the story. 3. many more

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another place, Christ said if something wasn't so, He would have told us. Yet, you and your author are saying that His prophets may assert things that aren't so, and He sees no need to correct that.

So, where, exactly, can we have assurance that Christ is relating things that are so, and where He is relating things that are not so?

#35 Aaron, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't quite follow that logic. If we give him credit for the smart ones, then we have count all of the morons against him, too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I am speculating that Adam was perfect and so genetically some of his descendants inherited some of his brains. In other words could a descendant be smarter than any ancestor? I don't know. Maroons like me were afflicted by the curse.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, ok, got ya.

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evolution suggests that we are evolving higher and higjer but the truth is that there are more and more errors in the transmission of DNA so that we are doomedby our own genetics in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Calminian

Site Supporter

Don't be so hard on yourself. I see you more as burgundy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1