1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Holy Trinity in 1 John 5:7

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I know that you are not. But your unnamed source is!

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On a point of fact, you should be aware that the Comma has had some eminent defenders long before the KJV Only era,
    Matthew Henry and Robert Lewis Dabney for example. Dabney brought up the grammatical argument that @SavedByGrace has been using. https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.tbsbibles...508415DA/Why-1_John_5_7-8_is-in-the-Bible.pdf

3. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I know. He is quoted by KJVOnly. He also believed slavery was legal and right.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume you are only referring to Dabney, though I have no idea what Matthew Henry believed about slavery. If his believing slavery was legal and right negates his ability to speak on another theological topic, then we in the Southern U.S. (and other places at other times) come up quite barren, without many theological forefathers who can speak to any issue. However, it is likely that being wrong about one thing is not in itself proof that we are wrong on a completely different topic. If so, who among us can speak to any subject?

5. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    and WHO told you this? I have never even seen this article before, nor any others online! Yet you and Conan assume things that are totally false! ALL of the OP is from my own personal studies in the Greek text, which I did originally in the 1980's, as I said earlier, because of A T Roberston saying that this verse was not genuine. Please get your facts right before posting silly replies!

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that you are one of those rather idiotic people who say things for the sake of it!

7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    what a DUMB remark! The USA was built using slaves, and the killing of thousands of Americans, known as Red Indians!

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you should stop shooting from the hip and actually read my post properly. :Rolleyes
    I wrote it in your support, and did not say that your work was not your own, but only that Dabney supported your position.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, you are correct, my apologies! I did not see the full stop . after "has been using.", and assumed wrongly that you were suggesting that I took my OP from the link that you posted!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes only Dabney. Ones stand on slavery or freedom could be considered important. He wrote in defense of it. Or you could be right and it could be irrelevant. One can certainly be wrong about some things are right about others. But I will point out there are no scholar's today whatsoever that would agree with him about the extra words in first John.

11. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The USA was built on freedom that happened to have slavery to stain it. Slavery did not build everything. Now that was a misleading mark. The vast overwhelming majority of people no matter what country they came from did not own slaves but did their own work. Freedom built most of America, slavery only a tiny portion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew Henry was very good regarding devotional commentary, bit was he a noted textual critic? And thought Dabney was a bigot and more in systematic theology?

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many of us are noted textual critics? Yet we often drone on about here as it we were.
    And John Calvin approved the arrest and execution of Michael Servetus for heresy.

Why not drop the ad hominem arguments? They do not add anything to the equation.

#73 rlvaughn, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think there is a big difference between the views of Calvin and Dabney here though!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, Calvin supported and condoned MURDER!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heresy was treated differently at that time, have to judge him based upon the times and culture!

17. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 9:54-56

"And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?” But He turned and rebuked them, and said, “You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.” And they went to another village."

NO excuses for Calvin, he could have said I do not support murder, but he did not, because he DID support murder!

18. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So can we not also say of Dabney:
    Why not be consistent? Is it just that you like what Calvin says and do not like what Dabney says?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, just that Calvin did not burn the heretic himself alive!

20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    he might as well have!