1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Invitation To Heaven

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Mar 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 22: And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables and said: 2 “The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son, 3 and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come. 4 Again, he sent out other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the wedding.” ’ 5 But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business. 6 And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them. 7 But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. 9 Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding.’ 10 So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Luke 14: 15 When one of those who reclined at table with him heard these things, he said to him, “Blessed is everyone who will eat bread in the kingdom of God!” 16 But he said to him, “A man once gave a great banquet and invited many. 17 And at the time for the banquet he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.’ 18 But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.’ 19 And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.’ 20 And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ 21 So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house became angry and said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame.’ 22 And the servant said, ‘Sir, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.’ 23 And the master said to the servant, ‘Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled. 24 For I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste my banquet.’”

These two accounts are a clear presentation of the Gospel to the entire human race, without exception. It is also clear from this, that the Reformed/Calvinistic teaching of “election to salvation”, is unbiblical.

Firstly, we see that that sinners are INVITED to ACCEPT the Gospel OFFER, which clearly is UNIVERSAL.

Secondly, those who are INVITED are able to ACCEPT or REJECT this OFFER, showing that ALL sinners must possess the God-given ABILITY to CHOOSE.

Thirdly, those who are originally INVITED and made EXCUSES not to ACCEPT the OFFER, were REJECTED by the Lord, which shows that the Reformed/Calvinistic teaching of “Irresistible Grace”, cannot be correct.

Fourthly, we can see from Matthew’s account, that the Gospel OFFER is NOT for only the ELECT, as it very clearly says, that both the GOOD and BAD are to be INVITED to Heaven. This cannot mean only the ELECT, and must also include what is known as the NON ELECT, that is, the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE.

Fifthly, in Luke’s account, we read that ALL sinners are COMPELLED, the Greek is ἀναγκάζω, which means, “to necessitate, compel, by persuasion, entreaties”. Again, against the Reformed/Calvinistic teaching of “Irresistible Grace” and of “election to salvation”. As no “elect” person would ever have to be “persuaded or entreated” to ACCEPT the Gospel for their salvation!

Sixthly, Jesus Christ is The ONLY Way to get to Heaven, as seen from the UNINVITED person, who thought there was another “way”.

Seventh, much of the so called Five Points of Calvinism, are destroyed by these two passages, and they are clerarly shown to be UNBIBLICAL.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Universal call...rejected.
    Dragging the meek and lowly into the kingdom accomplished.

This parable touches on the pride of Israel, established as a covenant people and called to enter the Kingdom. Israel rejects their King and the King sends out his Apostles to the gentiles and brings them in for the feast.

If you understood even a slight bit of the covenants, you might have the light dawn upon you. Instead, another "my cooperation is a must if I am going to get into the kingdom" thread has been created by you.[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Total Spiritual Inability is refuted by these two passages and several others. Unless a sinner has a hardened heart (either caused by God or the practice of sin) the lost have the limited ability to hear and learn from the gospel, the spiritual milk the Father uses to draw people to Christ.

One small insignificant nitpick, Luke 14:23 should read "persuade people to come in." Here is the NET footnote:
    "Traditionally “force” or “compel,” but according to BDAG 60 s.v. ἀναγκάζω 2 this is a weakened nuance: “strongly urge/invite.” The meaning in this context is more like “persuade.”"

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Parable of the Great Feast is a very good example of the wideness of the Mercy of God. Not only is salvation for the Jews, but also the Gentiles. Not only for any "elite" few as some teach, but for the entirety of the human race. Such is the force of these two passages, that God "compels" through the preaching of the Good News, that ALL should take up His Wonderful offer to have sinners sins forgiven, and a new life in Jesus for eternity. Paul uses such language in 2 Corinthians 5:20, "Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God". Where sinners are IMPLORED, that is "to plead with urgency", to get reconciled to God through Jesus Christ. This is hardly for the "elect", who will come to the Lord, without any "pleading"!

5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    The incapacity of the OP to grasp covenants is noted.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The incapacity of Calvinists to address the topic rather than find fictional fault with the poster is noted.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Another sci fi thread..dead on arrival. Man centered theology does not make it to heaven.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have quoted from the Holy Bible, if you think that I understand these passages wrong, then you should try to disprove it by showing what they do teach. Can you do this, or are you just some silly kid who always finds Biblical theology "funny"? :rolleyes: When you guys can't respond, you either laugh, or attack, or both! :eek:

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    .[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism is a man-centered theology, putting the blame on inability rather than able to choose God but choosing sin instead.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Criticism from the reformed camp, but no real answer to the passages from the Bible in the OP, and what they actually Teach! Typical.

12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    So...the first Adam gave you a sin nature without your permission, but the second Adam must get your permission in order to save you...

Syncretism teaches that the 1st Adam is greater than the 2nd Adam.

13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First off..when you try and derive doctrine from parables by twisting and wresting the passage into an eisegetical wonderland...you will only wind up with Van as your companion....did you ever get to see the Lone Ranger and Tonto?...it is like that:Sick

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, birds of a feather....

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem with your rant is, that you or your reformed buddies, cannot show from these two passages, where what I have said is wrong! There is NO other way to understand these passages, apart from the usual reformed theological twisting

16. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which none of us should be doing.

But to answer your OP, SBG...
    All of this has been addressed at one time or another.

The Gospel message is to be preached to all men.
    Seems straightforward enough, does it not?

But upon closer Inspection, we see this:

" For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call." ( Acts of the Apostles 2:39 ).

#16 Dave G, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your response like the others who follow your thinking do not really answer what I have said in the OP. there is no other way to understand these 2 passages. If there is then feel free to present your case here

18. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've done that many times, sir.
    But I will do so again, if only to address your post above.
    I disagree.
    There is no "offer"...it only looks like that from a few verses.

But there is a promise made.
    A straightforward promise that is not "sleight-of-hand", but involves us as sinful and rebellious men who are incapable of honoring any covenant that God makes with us.
    I disagree again.
    This may seem "intuitive", but when Scripture is looked at in its entirety ( especially in the Epistles ), this is not the case.

According to Romans 1:18-32, Romans 3:10-18, John 3:19-20 and many places in the Psalms, we as men are not only not willing to come to God, we will not do so because of our love of sin and hatred of God and His Son.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with my grandfather before he died that makes me realize how true that this is;
    I sat with him on his couch some years ago and asked him to consider what my mother had told him about the Lord Jesus...
    He got angry with me, told me that he could not, and then told me not to ever ask him about it again.

That "inability" stemmed from his not wanting to deal with God and his sin, plain and simple.
    His unwillingness to come to God on His terms was still in the way when he died a few years later.

#18 Dave G, Mar 14, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is correct if you approach everyone who believes on Christ as the Scriptures detail it...
    As being dead in sins and the darkness and vanity of their minds, and totally unwilling to believe or even approach the Lord, and that the new birth is necessary to break us out of that pit we are in.

That said, the Jews as a nation were rejected by the Lord for not only being responsible for keeping His commandments as a people ( and failing ), but for rejecting their Messiah who was standing right in front of them.

Why?
    Because they were not born again, neither did they believe.
    They were still in their rebellion, but had agreed to keep His covenant anyway.

See Deuteronomy 29 and Deuteronomy 30, and the entire book of Exodus for much of this.
    We can see from other places in Matthew's account, these very clear statements as to who, out of all of spiritually dead humanity, will have Christ revealed to them ( and in them ):

" He that hath ears to hear, let him hear." ( Matthew 11:15 ).

" At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
    26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.
    27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and [he] to whomsoever the Son will reveal [him].
    28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    30 For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light.
    " ( Matthew 11:25-30 ).

Who is it that labors against and are heavy laden with sins, but those to whom the Lord has graciously given the gift of the new birth to, who then hear His words, believe them and then identify with their Creator that they have offended Him by their willful acts of disobedience?

No one that I know of, outside the grace and mercy of God.

#19 Dave G, Mar 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not all sinners are compelled...

In Luke 14:16-24, the Lord Jesus reveals that not only were those who were bidden not willing to come, but that the Lord had to send out and have people compelled ( see John 6:44, "drawn" )...
    But in the parallel passage in Matthew 22:1-14, there was a man who somehow made it into the feast who was bound and cast out into outer darkness for not having a "wedding garment" ( the covering of Christ's imputed righteousness, see Revelation 19:8 among others ).

Many are called ( The nation of Israel ), but few are chosen ( the Jewish remnant, see Romans 11:1-8 ).
    I agree.

He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.
    No man comes to the Father but by Him.

In the same respect, no man comes to Christ except it were given to them by the Father ( John 6:64-65 ).
    One must be invited and compelled ( "called" ) by the Spirit and the word of God ( James 1:18 and may others ).

Look again, my friend.
    There's more to the truth of why people come to Christ than it simply being a matter of all men being naturally willing...
    Because we're not.

None of us really are, not even God's elect before their calling.

#20 Dave G, Mar 14, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.