1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Meaning of "parousia" in Greek

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's review. There are 24 verses in the NT that have the word parousia. Of those, the following are obviously physical presence or coming, since they refer to people other than Christ being physically in a location: 1 Cor. 16:17, 2 Cor. 17:6&7, 2 Cor. 10:10, Phil 1:26, Phil 2:12.

There is one verse that refers to the Antichrist, 2 Thess. 2:9--"Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders." Your presuppositions will decide for you whether this is a literal, physical presence.

There are 16 usages of parousia referring to the coming of Christ. Your presupposition about the second coming will decide your interpretation of most of these. However, linguistically that should be driven by the clear usage of the word when referring to those other than Christ, which are in every case literal and physical. Furthermore, there are the following verses referring to Christ which seem to indicate a literal, physical coming:

First of all, lightning is physical and observable in Matt. 24:27: "For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be."

In two verses in Matthew 24 we have the parousia of Christ compared to the physical event of Noah's flood: "But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be" (v. 37). And, "And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be" (v. 39).

In 2 Peter 1:16 we have a verse referring to the parousia of the literal, physical first coming of Christ: "For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty."

In 1 John 2:28 we have a verse which says we will be there at the coming--parousia-- of Christ, so it is a physical coming: "And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming."

Therefore, there are no clear cases where parousia in the New Testament means the presence of a disembodied spirit or a spiritual coming. The parousia of Christ must be a physical, observable coming or presence.

#21 John of Japan, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you say, but you haven't convinced me.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, show me where I'm wrong. :type:

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In all honesty, no disrespect intended, in fact I have much respect for your skills, BUT, IMO, you've made a mountain out of a molehill over one Greek word in an attempt to...what? Stamp out preterism? You strain out the proverbial gnat and swallow the proverbial camel with your tunnel vision focus on the one Greek word 'parousia' while totally disregarding the timeline that's given within all three accounts of the Olivet Discourse:

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished. Mt 24:34

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, until all these things be accomplished. Mk 13:30

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all things be accomplished. Lk 21:32

You accuse me of 'mixing King with Kingdom' when it's exactly what the writers of the gospels do:

28 Verily I say unto you, there are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Mt 16

64 Jesus said unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Henceforth ye shall see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven. Mt 26

20 And being asked by the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God cometh, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
    21 neither shall they say, Lo, here! or, There! for lo, the kingdom of God is within you.
    22 And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it.
    23 And they shall say to you, Lo, there! Lo, here! go not away, nor follow after them:
    24 for as the lightning, when it lighteneth out of the one part under the heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall the Son of man be in his day.
    25 But first must he suffer many things and be rejected of this generation. Lu 17

The very first words of preaching from the King and His herald were:

2 Repent ye; for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Mt 3

15....The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe in the gospel. Mk 1

(incidently, notice one says kingdom of heaven, the other says kingdom of God? You have some gnats to strain out there also?)

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the kind words.

I've concentrated on one Greek word because so often these threads on preterism become wild discussions (like the last one I was in) with no focus and plenty of irrelevant statements.

Concerning "generation" (Gr. genea), all the lexicons agree that it may be translated "age" or "era" as well as "generation." So I have no problems there with my position.

These are not strictly Gospel parallels. I see no problem for my position here. The subject of Christ and His kingdom is a very complicated one. I took a grad course on it, and the text (Alva McClain's The Greatness of the Kingdom) is 515 pages, not including appendix and index. So to discuss it here would be a red herring.

So once again, do you have anything from the meaning of the word to prove the preterist position that the coming of Christ, the parousia, is spiritual rather than actual, physical?
    No problem here. Matthew typically has "kingdom of heaven" in many passages when the other Gospels have "kingdom of God" because of his audience, having written his Gospel primarily for the Jews. I consider this to be irrelevant to my current argument, and not detrimental at all for my futurist position.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That particular generation of Christ's day was a peculiar generation in that it had been foretold of through prophecy such as the Song of Moses [Dt 31:16 - Dt 32], which also is quoted from several times in the NT. Only minutes earlier in the temple had Christ prophesied again concerning that particular generation:

33 Ye serpents, ye offspring of vipers, how shall ye escape the judgment of hell?
    34 Therefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: some of them shall ye kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city:
    35 that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of Abel the righteous unto the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom ye slew between the sanctuary and the altar.
    36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
    37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that killeth the prophets, and stoneth them that are sent unto her! how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
    38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. Mt 23

Christ is still referring to that particular generation in the Olivet Discourse.

The 'preunderstanding of the Modern Linguistics school' that you are again demonstrating complicates and disconnects, and in this instance destroys the underlying continuity of the scriptures concerning that very wicked generation. They're called serpents and offspring of vipers by Christ and John the Baptist and specifically singled out by Moses some 1400 years earlier where he plainly states “they are not His children”:

21 And it shall come to pass, when many evils and troubles are come upon them, that this song shall testify before them as a witness; for it shall not be forgotten out of the mouths of their seed: for I know their imagination which they frame this day, before I have brought them into the land which I sware.
    22 So Moses wrote this song the same day, and taught it the children of Israel.
    29 For I know that after my death ye will utterly corrupt yourselves, and turn aside from the way which I have commanded you; and evil will befall you in the latter days; because ye will do that which is evil in the sight of Jehovah, to provoke him to anger through the work of your hands. Dt 31
    5 They have dealt corruptly with him, they are not his children, it is their blemish; They are a perverse and crooked generation.
    20 And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: For they are a very perverse generation, Children in whom is no faithfulness.
    21 They have moved me to jealousy with that which is not God; They have provoked me to anger with their vanities: And I will move them to jealousy with those that are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation. Dt 32

8 Then certain of the scribes and Pharisees answered him, saying, Teacher, we would see a sign from thee.
    39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given it but the sign of Jonah the prophet:
    40 for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
    41 The men of Nineveh shall stand up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, a greater than Jonah is here.
    42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
    43 But the unclean spirit, when he is gone out of the man, passeth through waterless places, seeking rest, and findeth it not.
    44 Then he saith, I will return into my house whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
    45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more evil than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man becometh worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this evil generation. Mt 12

1 And the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and trying him asked him to show them a sign from heaven.
    2 But he answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the heaven is red.
    3 And in the morning, It will be foul weather to-day: for the heaven is red and lowering. Ye know how to discern the face of the heaven; but ye cannot discern the signs of the times.
    4 An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of Jonah. And he left them, and departed. Mt 16

24 for as the lightning, when it lighteneth out of the one part under the heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall the Son of man be in his day.
    25 But first must he suffer many things and be rejected of this generation. Lu 17

22 For these are days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
    23 Woe unto them that are with child and to them that give suck in those days! for there shall be great distress upon the land, and wrath unto this people.
    24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led captive into all the nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
    32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all things be accomplished. Lk 21

16 But whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the marketplaces, who call unto their fellows
    17 and say, We piped unto you, and ye did not dance; we wailed, and ye did not mourn.
    18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a demon.
    19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold, a gluttonous man and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners! And wisdom is justified by her works. Mt 11

40 And with many other words he testified, and exhorted them, saying, Save yourselves from this crooked generation. Acts 2

And Josephus certainly had nothing good to say of 'that generation':

“It is therefore impossible to go distinctly over every instance of these men's iniquity. I shall therefore speak my mind here at once briefly: - That neither did any other city ever suffer such miseries, nor did any age ever breed a generation more fruitful in wickedness than this was, from the beginning of the world.....” Book 5, ch 10, sec. 5

“.. I suppose, that had the Romans made any longer delay in coming against these villains, that the city would either have been swallowed up by the ground opening upon them, or been overflowed by water, or else been destroyed by such thunder as the country of Sodom (20) perished by, for it had brought forth a generation of men much more atheistical than were those that suffered such punishments; for by their madness it was that all the people came to be destroyed....” Book 5, ch. 13, sec. 6

“....and I cannot but think that it was because God had doomed this city to destruction, as a polluted city, and was resolved to purge his sanctuary by fire, that he cut off these their great defenders and well-wishers, while those that a little before had worn the sacred garments, and had presided over the public worship; and had been esteemed venerable by those that dwelt on the whole habitable earth when they came into our city, were cast out naked, and seen to be the food of dogs and wild beasts. And I cannot but imagine that virtue itself groaned at these men's case, and lamented that she was here so terribly conquered by wickedness.....” Book 4, ch. 5, sec. 2[/QUOTE]

#26 kyredneck, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I didn't know you better, I'd say that you were trying to hijack my thread. :eek: None of your post except this connects directly to the OP, and this barely does.

Look, the NT was written in Greek, as you very well know. So to properly exegete it we must look at the Greek in this case especially. Where modern linguistics helps in a scientific way, is that it forces us to look at the meaning of parousia as a genuine Greek lexical unit of the first cenury. The science of linguistics forces us to search for the meaning of a word in a logical, clear way, avoiding personal preferences, by examining the contemporary usage of the word in order to determine its meaning. Everything I've posted so far on this thread is towards that end. If you want to join me in that effort--which if done scientifically might even prove me wrong, go to this website, where you can see 91 different ways the word is used in Greek literature: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults?all_words=parousi/a&all_words_expand=yes&la=greek
    I haven't looked through the whole list yet, so you might hit gold. :smilewinkgrin:

The word parousia is actually very important to the preterist argument, so much so that James Stuart Russel's book, beloved of all preterists, is entitled Parousia, and a pdf of it is available on multiple preterist websites. And if you do a google search of "preterism parousia", you get 20,300 results. So let's not think this is a rabbit trail. If parousia cannot mean a non-corporeal presence, then the preterist is up a creek without a paddle.
    Now, I have quoted the parallel passage from Matthew 24:27 which has the word parousia, and asked, if lightning is visible and physical, how can the parousia of Christ be non-physical and invisible?

#27 John of Japan, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, the offer of this link was a serious one: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults?all_words=parousi/a&all_words_expand=yes&la=greek

You can research the word parousia even if you don't know Greek, but it does take solid work and effort. Here's what you do. Go to an author contemporaneous with Christ like Josephus, with 31 usages in three works. Find the reference in Josephus (the paragraphs should be numbered), then find the same document in a translated form somewhere on the Internet. In some cases a link to the English translation is right there on the Perseus website. Then you look at the translation for what translated parousia: coming, presence or arrival. You see how it was used and determine if the word is ambiguous or if the meaning is clear. If the meaning is clear, then you have a linguistic basis with which to compare our NT usages of the word.

As anybody should see, you can thus research the meaning of a Greek word without relying on your preunderstandings, in a scientific way. The key is to determine if a word is ambiguous or if the meaning is clear, ignoring your own preferences.

#28 John of Japan, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm pretty sure this essay is of 'post 19th century' origin, so it ought to be eligible for consideration by the 'Modern Linguistics' camp.

"...The word Matthew uses is parousia, and Matthew alone among the Gospels uses this word. The word means presence or arrival. Here is how it is used in an "everyday" sense:

2 Cor. 10:10 For his letters, say they, are weighty and powerful; but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible.

1 Cor. 16:17 I am glad of the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus: for that which was lacking on your part they have supplied.
    Some observations on this word:

*Prior to the NT and into the second century, the word was used "for the arrival of a ruler, king or emperor." It is used for example of a special visit by Nero to Corinth, when coins were cast in honor of his visit.

*However, the term was also used in Hellenistic contexts to refer to a theophany, or a manifestation of deity. In the Greek form of several Jewish apocryphal works (Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs, Testament of Judah, Testament of Levi) it is "used to refer to the final coming of God." Josephus uses the term to refer to OT theophanies (Ant. 3.80, 202-3; 9:55).

In our examination of the Pauline use of this word, we will be tying together some issues and Paul's own use of parousia to refer to the time of the resurrection. For now, it should be remembered that parousia has several shades of meaning (including an "everyday" meaning whose "everyday" use by Paul suggests that it is not a technical term referring to one event), and is also clearly a word choice of Matthew. I believe that these word choices were made independently and may have caused the confusion referred to by Paul in the Thessalonian church."
    http://www.tektonics.org/esch/olivet01.html

#29 kyredneck, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  10. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was John Gill a preterist?

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt he had ever heard the term. What he was, he was an astute student of the word that was astute and objective enough to realize when prophecy had been realized.

That's all preterism means, 'realized eschatology'.

12. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So would you say that Gill believed and wrote that all of, or perhaps maybe 99% of the prophecies mentioned in the Bible were fufilled in AD 70? Did he write that Jesus returned in the first century and that Titus 2:9-14 (looking for the blessed hope) are not applicable to us today?

Titus 2:9-14 "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read him your own self, make your own decisions.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Percho, I say it's the 'incoming of the Gentiles', or, 'the enlargement of Israel'.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1548960#post1548960

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To determine if he is current on linguistics, I'll pay attention to whether he knows the difference between synchronic (descriptive) linguistics and diachronic (historical) linguistics. But thanks for the post. The essay looks like something I can get my teeth into. :thumbsup:
    I'm puzzled by his use of the term "everyday sense." This is not generally how linguists refer to words. I'll assume he's distinguishing this from the word used as a technical term. At any rate, so far he is on target.
    This actually supports my view that the parousia of Christ is His official visit to earth, observable by all. Nero was certainly in Corinth in a physical, observable way.
    This also bolsters my view that the parousia refers to a physical, observable event. The theophanies of the OT were such. Christ temporarily took physical form in the theophanies prior to His incarnation. Joshua saw the "Captain of the Lord of Hosts" as a real, physical person. Again, Jacob wrestled with the "angel," a theophany as is generally agreed. You can't wrestle with and be injured by a non-corporeal being. I ought to know, since I was a wrestler in my youth and was once knocked out by a rule infraction! (The kid did a takedown and landed me on my head.)
    Again, linguists don't talk about an "everyday meaning" for a word. There is a core meaning which the word carries into various contexts (disputed by some linguists by proven by my son in his dissertation on Greek linguistics), there is polysemous (more than one) meaning indicated by the context, there is sometimes (rarely) a technical meaning, apparently used in this case by the essayist to refer to the coming of a king--exactly my position. Christ will come physically and observably, not "spiritually" and unobserved as per the preterist position about 70 AD.

Later in the essay the writer says, "His parousia, his enthronement as king...." This tells me that the writer is not up on modern linguistics. He makes this jump of logic and adds a meaning, "enthronement as king," that exists nowhere in the literature of 1st century Greek. He gives no contemporary usage or any other hint as to how he suddenly arrived at this meaning. He simply invents the meaning out of whole cloth with no proof.

So, the essayist gets that wrong, but he gets the main meaning correct as presence, arrival or coming (in different places in the essay). He refers to several usages in 1st century documents that bolster my view that the parousia of Christ is a literal, observable coming of our King.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ???????

I'm puzzled.

#36 kyredneck, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A word either has a core meaning or it does not. (Polysemous words may have several meanings, each pretty much equal in usage, like the verb "run.") There is no "everyday" about it. Either it means something or it doesn't, and it doesn't matter how often a word is used. How often do you say "uranium"? Not every day, I'm sure, maybe not even once a year. But it has a definite meaning to you. So the term "everyday meaning" doesn't make sense in linguistics.

I assume the author was distinguishing a core meaning from a technical usage. However, if you are in the profession that uses that technical word, you might use it every day. Then would it not be an "everyday meaning"? Do you see now?

Contemporary usage refers to the normal usage of the word at the time the linguist is studying in the language he is studying, in this case 1st century Palestinian Greek. I determine a new word's meanng in 21st century Japanese by listening for how it is used on TV, radio, in conversation and the Internet. We determine the meaning of a 1st century Greek word by documents from that time period. (This is often necessary for hapax legomena, words that only occur once in the NT.) So we don't take a word from Plato centuries before Christ and say it means the same thing.

#37 John of Japan, Feb 12, 2013
  18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if he had said 'contemporary use' (as you did) instead of 'everyday use' it would be OK and you would accept it instead of criticizing it?

#38 kyredneck, Feb 12, 2013
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't matter to him whether I accept it or not. :smilewinkgrin: But to me it says he is not a linguist, but he does appear to know NT Greek to an extent. (I can't tell how much from the one essay, but he's better than the usual wannabe for sure.)

Have to hit the sack. It's late here in Japan. God bless.

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you should start a thread on the meaning of the word 'contemporary'.