1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Missing Balance in Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Ken Hamrick, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "hidden goal" of "Calvinism" is to develop the details as to why salvation is entirely of God, and gives man nothing to rest in except His mercy and grace.

I remember sitting in Independent Baptist churches growing up, and hearing about how "God loves everyone"...and then finding out later, through my reading, that He doesn't.
    With a realization like that, I remember thinking, "what god is this they are talking about?"
    The God I saw in Scripture began to take on more and more detail, than the one I was being presented from the pulpits.
    Fast forward to now, and He resembles nothing like Who I was taught about those many years ago.:(
    I agree.
    As believers, we go right along with Him, because we now love Him and want to obey Him...
    Out of free choice.:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you've been talking to the wrong people.
    Those that claim that everything is predestined by God, are called, "Hyper-Calvinists", because from my perspective, they take some things far too literally in their understanding of God's word.
    I've never met one of those.
    Apparently I twisted it for myself when I read God's word, because I certainly didn't learn it from a pulpit or a theological book.;)
    God doesn't interpret Scripture...He opens a person's mind in order to properly understand it ( Luke 24:45 ).
    Otherwise, we cannot make sense of it all.

After we've become believers, what He says then begins to make sense.
    The problem is, many people chalk things up to "interpretation", when to me, it's a simple matter of either believing the words on the page in their proper contexts, or not.

The Bible is not a "carnal" book...it is a spiritual book intended for the minds of God's children.
    That's why it's probably the only book in all of history that most people cannot seem to make sense of, without a "college degree".:Unsure
    I'll take your word for it..
    But I still disagree.:)

#22 Dave G, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it strange that you would state this, considering my background.

I came out of a group that claims to preach and teach the entire council of God's will and all of His word... yet in practice, there are whole sections of Scripture that they never even made a dent in, in their sermons and teachings.
    Passages that get skipped permanently, I imagine, for fear that they will generate too much controversy.

For example, I've seen more discussed about the Bible , in one year on this forum than I ever saw in 25 years of being in Independent Baptist churches, and being involved in their Bible studies.:Sick
    With respect,
    I think you've misunderstood the threads and many of the posts from the "Calvinists" on this board, and possibly much of what I and others have stated.

Even Paul told people to seek God ( Acts of the Apostles 17:22-31 ).

But He also told those who had believed on Christ, later on, Who was behind the miraculous change in their hearts and minds.
    He then gets into why it was necessary to change the hearts and minds of those who are to have an everlasting, heart-to-heart relationship with God and His Son...

Because deep down, we're "busted", and unable ( and most of all, unwilling ) to fix the problem.:(

It's not simply a matter of God "handing us the right tool" to help us fix it...
    It's a matter of God looking down, seeing that we couldn't care less, and fixing it all for us.

Am I telling you not to seek the Lord?
    No.
    I'm telling you, that if you have success, there is a reason for it....and it wasn't because our wills had anything to do with why we suddenly felt motivated to seek Him;
    Especially after a life that was, up until we believed, full of nothing but thoughts and cares for ourselves and this world's ways.

May God bless you.:)

#23 Dave G, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to clarify this statement:
    I don't believe a college degree or Bible college education is needed for a born again believer to properly understand their Saviour's words.

But I do believe that many people seem to think that in order to understand it, a college degree is necessary...it isn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your "balance" gives some of God's glory in salvation to wicked unbelievers who think they believe in the true Christ through the power of the flesh. But the truth is, God saves unbelievers giving them a new believing and repentant nature. Notice what John says; “No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.” 1 John 3:9–10 (NASB95)

• Like Like x 1
  6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because they haven't figured out how to twist it yet.

No I didn't misunderstand anything. There are three Dave's on this board and a;ll of them are Calvinist. I have read things that make God out to be just like the devil. God is not a dictator forcing particular people to conform to His worship.
    You tell me I did not understand. The meaning of this is that I'm still carnal. Of course those who do not understand are lost. While the condition of your selves is misdirected in Calvinism. IOW's it keeps you from seeing the truth of scripture. You are so absolutely sure that you are right and everyone else is wrong. It has become a matter of pride I presume

This miraculous change of heart happened in me a long time ago and I was willing for it.
    God's word says;
    2Co 8:12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.

However I was not broken or unable to understand or accept Christ. I surrendered my will to His will. I came to Him because I was drawn to Him because of His suffering for me. I had to know why He would do such a thing for sinners who are in fact His enemies. He died for me that I might have life.. I praise God that I had no inability stopping me from seeking Him. A willing heart is accepted.

#26 MB, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot think you believe in Christ with out actually believing. I know, you should just spit out the truth of what you believe and that is a man isn't saved unless he believes in Calvinism. When the sad thing about your ideas are that they are wrong and you don't even know it. Maybe you are just broken. Ever think of that
    MB

8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The kind of faith you buy used cars with cannot save. This is Catholic type faith. True Faith is a gift of the Holy Spirit given only to those for whom Christ died.

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, the meaning of it is either you are not saved, or you are not studying His word as you should...that is what Scripture teaches, and that has also been my experience.

I am not saying that you are not saved...That is not my call to make.
    It's not a matter of pride.
    It's a matter of looking at the words on the page and believing them.

For example:
    " And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed." ( Acts 13:48 )

Do you believe this at face value?
    I did, the very first time I was exposed to it.
    I didn't even feel the need to wrestle with it...I just knew it was true without having a second thought about it.

The simple fact is, Christ's sheep "hear" His voice ( John 10:27 )...every word, even if they don't immediately understand it.
    He that is "of God" "hears" God's word ( John 8:47 ).

MB,
    I believe your testimony.
    What I'm finding hard to believe, is not that you are sincere, or that you disagree with "Calvinism", but that you disagree with what is written.

In truth, that is what I find to be odd... is that a person can claim to be Christ's, yet reject the words on the page...
    Not simply wrestle with it, but outright reject those words.

With that said,
    I have no intention to offend you, even though it seems that I have, nor to seek your hurt in any way.
    If you don't agree, you don't agree.

From here on out, I will not seek to interact with you... because to me, you simply reject my "interpretation" of the passages.
    Apparently to you, I am someone who worships a monstrous dictator that unrighteously condemns people to Hell out of some sort of capriciousness...not because they are sinners that actually deserve it, but because "He just treats men cruelly and callously on a whim".

I'm not and I don't....and He doesn't.
    I'm someone who sees a God in the pages of His word that is not popular, and not taught in the vast majority of churches that name the name of Christ.
    A God that is quite a bit more sobering, powerful, and selective about who He saves and who He doesn't, who He loves and who He doesn't, than what is presented from the vast majority of pulpits out there in "Christendom".

At the end of the day, if you don't believe the same way, that is fine...
    But two cannot walk together unless they agree ( Amos 3:3 ).
    So no matter what happens, and no matter what our personal testimonies, the matter of doctrine will always separate us, until something changes.

This is my final reply to you, sir.
    I'll put you on "ignore" so I'm not tempted to reply to your posts anymore, for the sake of both of us.

I wish God's blessing upon you in your walk with Him, and in your continued studies in His word.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No scripture to prove this because this is your twisted belief.
    MB

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Flesh faith "used car faith" is blind to spiritual truth and can only hear a false gospel and choose a false Christ.
    “But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.” 1 Corinthians 2:14 (NASB95)

• Like Like x 1
  12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously you haven't accepted the things from the Spirit of God.
    MB

13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Find faith anywhere in the flesh.

“Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” Galatians 5:19–21 (NASB95)

The flesh will only worship a false Christ.

Find Faith in the New Birth.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness [faith], gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” Galatians 5:22–23 (NASB95)

• Like Like x 1
  14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder do you think you are about to convince me of Calvinism? If so, I can assure you, you are sorely mistaken. If all Christians were like Calvinist I never would have. believed. Even your natural man would know better. You make Salvation complicated and not attainable. Calvinism is simply not true. nor scriptural. Just like a Jehovah's witness you are on the wrong path. Sadly you will find this out on resurrection day. If you don't change.
    MB

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only God can reveal the truth. It works like this. If Calvin was right about God, most hate God and worship idols.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NONE can cease to be at war against God by ourselves, as its built into our sin natures!

• Like Like x 1
  17. BroOldTimer

BroOldTimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see a fundamental flaw in your argument. Salvation is the GREATEST love story that has ever been told. Do you deny John 3:16?

"For GOD so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

I am not an educated Bible scholar nor do I possess a degree from a seminary, but I can tell you that God loves this world so much that he gave his only son to save it. That's a plain fact from scripture. Does God love the darkness that man has born into this world? Absolutely not. God forbid that His Christ or his children be love the ways of this world. But to say that God doesn't love sinners is to say that a mother detests her child. It's morally apprehensible and NOT Biblical.

Just because God serves justice doesn't mean He doesn't love.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many people do, and there are a few that agree with me.
    But I still appreciate your reply, even if you do not.;)
    Neither am I and neither do I, sir.
    I wouldn't have it any other way.:)
    I agree...more than can probably be seen in many of my posts.:Unsure

To me, God's gift of eternal life ( Romans 6:23 ) is more than I could have ever hoped for.:Notworthy

#38 Dave G, Jul 22, 2019
  19. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I do not.
    In fact, I do not deny a single word of His precious book ( Matthew 4:4, Luke 4:4 ).

I also think that it is not the only passage that tells me who He loves, either.
    For that, one of my favorite passages is Romans 5:8-11.
    Another is Ephesians 2:4-10.

So, even though I do not deny John 3:16, I do my best to take it in context with the many other things that He has to say about who He loves ( Psalms 37:28, Psalms 116:15, Psalms 145:20, Romans 5:8, 1 John 4:19 ), who He hates ( Psalms 5:5, Psalms 11:5 ), whose hearts He hardens ( Romans 9:18, Exodus 4:21 ), whose He softens ( Ezekiel 11:19, Ezekiel 36:26, Jeremiah 32:40, Acts of the Apostles 2:37, Acts of the Apostles 16:14 ), who He allows Satan to blind to the truth of the Gospel ( John 12:37-41, Romans 11:7-8, 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 ) and many other subjects.

Some questions for you, sir...
    Do you deny Acts of the Apostles 13:48?

John 10:26?
    John 6:44?
    John 6:64-65?
    John 17:2?
    Romans 8:28-30?
    Ephesians 1:4-5?
    2 Thessalonians 2:13-14?
    Psalms 65:4?
    Romans 9:13?

I sincerely hope not.
    To me, Scripture is a book of letters ( not verses ) that are designed to do one thing...

To inform His children of what He did for them.:)

The greatest love story ever told.
    Jesus, Emmanuel ( God with us ) the Son of the living God, who was born of a woman and died on a cross for me...
    So that I could have an eternal relationship with Him and His Father...my Father.

Who loved me so much, that He gave up His Son for my worthless hide and redeemed me from His own terrifying wrath.
    I don't have to go to Hell because of His many gifts...the greatest of these being His unspeakable gift of eternal life ( Romans 6:23 ).

One I couldn't have earned with all the gold in the world ( Ephesians 2:9 ).
    Simply believing was something that I thought I did, in and of myself...until He showed me the rest of how and why He did it.
    He showed me that even my belief was given to me ( Philippians 1:29 ).

"Amazing Grace", wrote John Newton...a "Calvinist".
    "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" and "Alas! and Did my Saviour Bleed", wrote Isaac Watts, a "Calvinist".
    "Rock of Ages", wrote Augustus Toplady, a "Calvinist".

No sir, I don't deny one precious word of His marvelous book... and my sincere hope is, that neither do you.
    May you be blessed greatly in your walk with Him.:)

#39 Dave G, Jul 22, 2019
  20. BroOldTimer

BroOldTimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our perspectives and interpretations differ greatly, but I do not deny the Holy Word of God. I consider it as necessary to life as breath and bread.

Acts 13:48; Romans 8:28-30; Ephesians 1:4-5; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14; Psalm 65:4

My understanding of the doctrine of election is election by foreknowledge. I realize that the Calvinist will deny this interpretation. (1st Peter 1:2; Romans 8:29) I also acknowledge that other passages referring to election could refer to a “general election” of people set aside for the holy purposes of God. This is also supported by the Old Testament election of Israel as God’s chosen people. Especially, when I consider Rahab and Ruth who became part of the elect when they weren’t part of the Hebrew people.

John 10:26

Jesus is talking to unbelieving, and lost Jews in this passage. Go on and read John 10:37-38. I understand that the condition of “not being a sheep” is changeable. Jesus told them that he was doing the works of the father, and encouraged them to believe that that may know that Christ and the Father are together.

John 6:44

God MUST call and convict for a sinner to be saved. ]God is calling ALL men to repent. (Acts 17:30, John 12:32; 1st John 2:2)

John 6:64-65; John 17:2

I don’t deny that Jesus knew who would deny him. Thankfully, by God’s call to all men to repent of his sins he can be given to the son for salvation. See Acts 17:30 and 1st John 2:2 again.

Romans 9:13

This reference is toward their respective descendents. Several verses show that God also blessed and protected Esau (Deuteronomy 23:7: Genesis 33:8-16). I don’t deny that God chose Jacob to father the nation of Israel to bring his plan of salvation into the world.

Ultimately, I know that both of us will continue to defend our position. These verses, and ideas are also taught in the Bible.

1. Romans 1:20 plainly states that “they are without excuse”. The verse details that God has revealed himself in creation. How can “they be without excuse” IF they never had a choice to begin with?

2. 2nd Peter 3:9 states that God is “not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” Sounds like there will be room enough for whoever believes the gospel.

3. 1st Timothy 2:4 states that (in reference to God) “Who will have all men to be saved and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.” All means all and that’s all it means.
    4. Genesis 3:6 ultimately tells the story of how free will brought sin into the lives of mankind. If man cannot make those types of decisions then God would be the author of sin. Did our sin catch God by surprise? Absolutely not. He already had the master plan figured out.
    5. Matthew 19:24. If grace is irresistible then why would it be harder for Jesus to save a rich man than a poor man?
    6. Matthew 23:37. Jesus wanted to gather their children together as a hen gathers her chicks, but they were not willing. This implies that the children of Jerusalem had the choice to serve God or to serve the flesh.
    7. Again, John 3:16. Please consider the phrase “For God so loved the world”. He loved a poor, lost and wretched world. He loved it so well that He gave the best that heaven had to save “whosoever believeth in him”. Sounds like free will to me.
    Finally, wouldn’t both of our efforts be better concentrated on this forum to build each other up to serve the Lord? Wouldn’t prayer for each other do more good? I think that division and debate weaken us, and distract us from the fact that Jesus is coming soon. I firmly believe there will be Calvinists, Traditionalists, and Arminians in heaven. In that day, we will lay aside the differences and be united by the precious blood that bought and paid for our souls. Then, ultimately, it won’t matter if I repented by free will or was elected to salvation before the world began.