1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Missing Balance in Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Ken Hamrick, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I may point out...

2 Peter 3:9's context is with respect to the "beloved" in verse 8.
    The "us-ward" is the beloved, not all of mankind.

As for room enough for whoever believes the Gospel, I agree.
    Anyone who truly believes on Christ, from the heart, is saved.
    A question if I may:

Do you trust implication when it comes to God's word?
    I know many people who do...but I never could.

I need clear-cut declaration in order to arrive at a final belief about any subject in God's word.

#41 Dave G, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Building each other up is also served by teaching each other sound doctrine.

With respect,
    It seems that my idea of this and yours are in opposition to each other.
    I thank God that He is coming soon...but I think that division over the truth is warranted.

Even if I'm wrong, and I don't see that I am, two cannot walk together unless they are agreed ( Amos 3:3 ).
    For example, I was once a "Traditionalist", and am no longer, because I believe that their "Gospel" is in error.
    I cannot walk with them any more.:(

As for debate, I'm not "debating" as much as I am "presenting", and seeing where the chips fall.

Admittedly, doctrine divides... and the word of God is sharper than any two-edged sword.
    It divides households, families, and churches.

I've suffered for what I believe, and I will no doubt continue to suffer for it.

#42 Dave G, Jul 29, 2019
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Division caused by the clear gospel is necessary, division cause by how it is delivered is not. Paul was very careful how the gospel was delivered by him.

That said, if there is division on this board by the gospel then someone is not born again or someone is having serious trouble understanding what is considered the gospel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't.
    I think that the Holy Spirit leads all of Christ's sheep into the truth, just as He did for the apostles ( John 16:13 ).

I firmly believe that there will be God's children in Heaven and on the new earth, and they will know all things that pertain to life and salvation ( 1 John 2:20-27 ).
    I also am firmly convinced that the so-called "doctrines of grace" are part and parcel of God's Gospel.
    I think that the truth of how someone is saved was by God's doing, and the reason some do not believe is because they are not elect.

Ultimately, what people believe does not make a difference in where someone spends eternity.
    Whether or not they truly are saved will determine how they see and understand Scripture.
    I like to call it, "destiny determines doctrine".

Sound doctrine does matter, if only because God's children are valiant for the truth.
    This is why there are denominations...because there are so many differing "truths" out there.
    One person's "Gospel" is another person's "heresy".

Even though I can do so amiably, I am resigned to having to disagree with "Traditionalism" and "Arminianism".:(
    That disagreement ( and sometimes it may seem a bit stronger than simply disagreement ) is not out of hatred or anger, but out of a genuine desire and concern for what I see as true and false doctrine.

Thank you for your replies sir, and this is my last in this thread.
    I wish you well, and many blessings to you in this life.:)

#44 Dave G, Jul 29, 2019