1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Monergist View of the Human Will

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

37“All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.

Let me put the Calvinist glasses on:

37“ONLY All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.

Or maybe that "ALL" means "SOME"?
    ====

44“No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

Let me put the Calvinist glasses on:

44“No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; ALL WHO THE FATHER DRAWS COME TO JESUS; and I will raise him up on the last day.
    ====

John 12
    32“And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself.”

Let me put my Calvinist glasses on:

32“And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw SOME men to Myself.”

====

Calvinist view is that the holy spirit has to enter the elect fellah

" Some come willingly, and some are dragged unwillingly, but all eventually come, although we have no part in the drawing."

The bible shows Father drawing, Son drawing, not the holy spirit.

And it definitely shows that there is a shift in who does the drawing after the cross.

40“For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”

Lets put Calvinist glasses on:

40“For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who has eternal life will behold the Son and believes in Him, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”

John 6

60Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this said, “This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?” 61But Jesus, conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, “Does this cause you to stumble? 62What then if you see the Son of Man ascending to where He was before?

Why would Jesus need to offer the ASCENSION to heaven as proof of offering himself to deniers if it were not offered to them, nor intended offer and if no manner of miracle or reason were necessary other then the internal regeneration of the unbeliever?

It makes absolutely no sense.

Neither would the entire Gospel of John which is aimed at non-believers:

John 20

30Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

Let me put the Calvinist Glasses on:

But this stuff got written down so in case you have life in his name, you may believe that Jesus is the Christ....

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even Synergists agree that this portion of scripture is about God's purpose of election. They disagree with Monergists on the role of the human will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should have kept reading, brother.

John 6
    43 Jesus therefore answered and said to them, “Do not murmur among yourselves. 44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father.

Our Lord Jesus was directing His words to a people who would have been transitioning from a blurry revelation of who God was into a Greater Revelation of God in Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but the M hold that God Himself must enable the sinner to be able to respond, while the S hold that they can freely respond to the Gospel still!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not destroyed, just corrected!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps the greatest Baptist who ever lived!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is the free will that the sin nature still allows us to now have, but that is far from enough of it remaining to save ourselves!

8. utilyan

Site Supporter

Calvinist don't believe in "Monergism".

Do you preach the gospel with a gun to a person's head? Do you tie people up in chairs and then read out the gospel?

OR do people COOPERATE make the FREE CHOICE to hear the gospel?

Guys all you got to do is FOCUS on when REGENERATION OCCURS to send Calvinist folks packin' with tail between their legs.

Calvinist believe a person EARNS their salvation by COOPERATING to hear the gospel.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless God enables you to have ears to hear with, and ebales your heart/,ind to be able to respond, its preaching in a morgue!

10. utilyan

Site Supporter

See how he has to reach for the "you ain't got the spirit" cop out?

This is the line of questioning they FEAR:

Calvinist don't believe in "Monergism".

Do you preach the gospel with a gun to a person's head? Do you tie people up in chairs and then read out the gospel?

Guys all you got to do is FOCUS on when REGENERATION OCCURS to send Calvinist folks packin' with tail between their legs.

Calvinist believe a person EARNS their salvation by COOPERATING to hear the gospel.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we believe that as lost sinners, we can do NOTHING to aid or assest God in saving us, as salvation is from start to finish of the Lord!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. utilyan

Site Supporter

Answer.

What happens if the totally depraved unregenerate decides not to hear the gospel?

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Elect of God will wnat to hera the good news, those still loist in their sins will want to get away, as darkness hates the light!

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That has not been my experience

15. utilyan

Site Supporter

They can't Yeshua. Cause you say they must be regenerated FIRST, AFTER hearing the gospel.

Answer.

16. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you misunderstand. People make the decision to listen to the gospel at church or revival or with door to door evangelism for all kinds of reasons.

The main issue here is how does the person respond to the gospel with faith in Jesus that results in salvation.

In order to have the desire to respond with faith, a person must be regenerated by Holy Spirit which frees the person's mind, spirit and will from the influence of sin, convicts the person of sin, and illuminates the truth of who Jesus is and what He has done.

Once freed from sin, Jesus, and His salvation, is seen as the most desirable thing in the world, because it always has been.

17. utilyan

Site Supporter

Romans 10

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

If I am a Atheist or a Muslim or whatever. Suppose I NEVER HEARD the Gospel.

So what happens when I REFUSE to hear the gospel?

Is it a sin?

Am I going to get faith?

18. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are condemned already and remain that way until we receive Jesus

19. utilyan

Site Supporter

Sure thing, back to my question.

Romans 10

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

If I am a Atheist or a Muslim or whatever. Suppose I NEVER HEARD the Gospel.

So what happens when I REFUSE to hear the gospel?

Is it a sin?

Am I going to get faith?

Is it a sin if I refuse to hear the gospel any of it? YES OR NO?

20. utilyan

Site Supporter

My understanding of Calvinism is. YOU get ZERO FAITH and ZERO REGENERATION, until AFTER you hear the gospel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.