1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Monergist View of the Human Will

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Freely to the Fathers will. It is our example

Conversely, Did Satan have a free will to sin?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know that since you have opposed calvie doctrine you now must be destroyed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the prevalent rule on this board

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I have to amend my earlier answer to your post. The reason is your use of the word "intervene". See post #58 for my thoughts on the word "intervene".

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know a famous Monergist who believed that.

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said the synergists believe the Gospel call is made and the sinner has the opportunity to accept or reject it. Does the monergists not believe this?

As for God's intervention, I spoke with someone on this board some years ago who was adamant that the "elect" need not exercise faith to be saved. He stated that if the elect person never heard the gospel and never had faith, they would still go to heaven.

From what you have stated, I suspect you have more common belief with most synergists than you do with that person.

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @tyndale1946 believes that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.
    Faith is a gift from God (Eph. 2:8-9). While the unregenerate sinner does not have faith, regeneration produces it. The individual then exercises that faith by believing.

I would not put a wager on that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to be sure I understand you. You are saying that monergists do not believe the Gospel is presented and the sinner has the opportunity to accept or reject?

Also, are you saying that the "elect" do not have to have faith in Jesus to be saved?

10. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct.

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, could you explain Paul's assertion in 1 Cor. that God was well pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe?

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. First, understand that the Monergist believes in something called the effectual call. The 1689 Second London Baptist of Faith explains it this way:

10.1 Those whom God hath predestinated unto life, he is pleased in his appointed, and accepted time, effectually to call, by his Word and Spirit, out of that state of sin and death in which they are by nature, to grace and salvation by Jesus Christ; enlightening their minds spiritually and savingly to understand the things of God; taking away their heart of stone, and giving unto them a heart of flesh; renewing their wills, and by his almighty power determining them to that which is good, and effectually drawing them to Jesus Christ; yet so as they come most freely, being made willing by his grace.

Passages to consider are Rom. 8:30; Eph. 1:10; 2 Thes. 2:13-14; Eph. 2:1-6 et. al.

The verse you did not fully reference is 1 Cor. 1:21:

1 Corinthians 1:21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

The Gospel is the means of salvation. God has ordained the preaching of the Gospel as the means (or method) of calling His elect. If you look closely at verses 18-19; 24; 27-28 you will see God's calling clearly revealed. Those that believe the foolishness of the message preached are those whom God has effectually called to eternal life.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, that is clear. The gospel is preached and the person accepts or rejects, right?

Or, do you believe the Gospel is only for the elect?

14. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this poster misses the whole point of Rom 1: 18-20 for the the whole conclusion of the text is why men are without excuse. Men see all of creation and that alone God says should be the thing that sparks at least a seeking of God. Instead of seeking God these particular groups would suppress the truth which they were NOT FORCED to do. If they were they'd HAVE EXCUSE.

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Later in the 1 Cor passage, Paul tells us of a two-fold purpose of the gospel preached. To some, it brings life. To others, it brings death.

The gospel is preached and sinners accept or reject.

16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Slow your roll, hombre. The Gospel is preached to all, although there are some people on the Monergist side who fall into the error of Hyper-Calvinism. Hyper-Calvinism has no textbook definition, but it is commonly accused of teaching that the Gospel is only to be preached to the Elect. One problem with that view is none of us possess perfect knowledge. Only God knows who is part of the Elect. Ergo, the Gospel is to be proclaimed to all. The real question to ask is whether all can believe the Gospel. The answer to that is a resounding "No!". Only the Elect will believe. But once again, since we do not know who the elect are, we plead with all men to be reconciled to God (2 Cor. 5:20).

17. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problem is you don't prove the will of a person is in bondage yes even quoting very true verses that the unsaved are slaves to sin. People in bondage by their free will may want deliverance and want change.

18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess we will just have to disagree. Have a pleasant evening.

19. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. Acts 2:40

20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whenever the topic starts to turn towards predestination, election, and the free offer of the gospel, I like to point people to C.H. Spurgeon's work, "A Defense of Calvinism". While I am able to string together a few sentences on occasion, I am a poor wordsmith when compared to the "Prince of Preachers". I highly recommend you read Spurgeon's work for a better treatment on this topic than I am able to offer.

• Winner Winner x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.