1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Music Debate Today

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Eric B, Aug 28, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. I am choosing not to allow you direct the conversation to points of lesser importance. You have many wrong views about more foundational matters that must be answered biblically.

Exodus 32 refutes your notion that it is only the content of the lyrics that matter to God.

Your attempt to continually paint my views as based on what I personally like or dislike is flawed and faulty. As I said before, I have never heard any distinctively occult music played on Tibetan skull drums. My rejection of that music is not based at all on whether I like how it sounds or do not like how it sounds.

God forbids His people from having anything to do with the wicked practices of occultists. You beg the question that God's categorical prohibition does not apply to their distinctively occult kinds of music. You have no Bible to support your position.

Mere assertion that all music of occultists that is distinctively occult music is still always and only pleasing to God, acceptable to Him, and fit for use in worship does not make it so.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh. Sorry I misunderstood.

Yes, the key difference is the music itself (not the instruments).

Western music is based on harmony and a "Western scale". Western music includes singing in unison and multi-part harmonies.

I do not understand what you mean by the similarities between the music you find appealing and ANE music.

That said, if God only accepts music in tune (pardon the pun :Biggrin ) with Hebrew music then He does not accept traditional Western worship music.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are forgetting that ancient Hebrew worship music (the music itself) is identical to the worship music of the surrounding pagans.

The Hurrian Hymn #6 (1400 BC) sounds a lot like Psalm 104 (written about 800 years later). The reason is culture.

In other words, it would have been impossible for Moses to have identified "How Great Thou Art" as worship music. Does that mean it isn't?

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On that note, this thread is closed.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.