1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Darrell C, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In order not to derail another thread, I thought it best to start a thread on the topic of the Mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

To make this as simple as possible, I will give only one passage that shows that the Gospel of Christ was not revealed to men in the Old Testament, though it was spoken of often enough (Isaiah 53, for example).

To be clear, we are not looking at whether the Gospel can be found in the Old Testament, it can be. What we are looking at is whether men had understanding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

First passage:

Romans 16:24-26
    King James Version (KJV)

24 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

God bless.

2. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is in response to my assertion that the Gospel of Jesus Christ was not revealed to men in Past Ages:

Not sure why you can't see that there is no mention of Gentiles in this passage, except that the Gospel Mystery is now made known to all Nations:

King James Version (KJV)

25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

You cannot deny that the Gospel was kept secret since the world began.

God bless.

3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "gospel" Abraham believed was not the Gospel of Jesus Christ revealed to him, it was the promise of God.

As I go through your response and point out what you impose on the text, hopefully, you will see why you err greatly by attributing to Abraham a knowledge of the GOspel Mystery.

Abraham believed God for specific promise, such as God giving him an heir. So I challenge you to go into Genesis and show me Abraham understanding that Christ would die in the stead of the sinner, rise again, return to Heaven, and send the Spirit of GOd that men might be brought back into union with GOd on an eternal basis.

That's all you have to do.

Actually, its your argument, which arises from the doctrines of men. I do not say this to offend you Gup, just pointing out something that will be shown to be true.

Let's look at the text you give as support that it is "Paul's argument that Abraham believed the Gospel of Jesus Christ:"

What we see is that "Abraham believed God," and was therefore justified according to the flesh, as Paul writes in Romans 4.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is seen preached to Abraham, but what you are not considering is that while we can see the Gospel in what is said (all families of the earth would be blessed through Abraham's Seed), Abraham had no such understanding, and understood it, as all Israel would, as a reference to a physical descendant.

Think about that Gup.

Look at it again:

Galatians 3:16
    King James Version (KJV)

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Why do you think Paul is clarifying that the Seed is singular? Because he is giving a New Testament understanding of the Gospel preached to Abraham.

And we know what Abraham believed, that his physical descendant, Isaac, was the fulfillment of that promise:

Genesis 15
    King James Version (KJV)

1 After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

2 And Abram said, Lord God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?

3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.

4 And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.

5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.

6 And he believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Show me where the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ is found in that?

That is the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and Abraham was not privy to that understanding, because it was not revealed to any man prior to Pentecost (when the Comforter came and opened the understanding of men in regards to the Gospel).

Look at it again:

King James Version (KJV)

Note in v.25 that men are stablished according to the Gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ...according to the revelation of the Mystery which was kept secret since the world began.

That stands alone.

Continued...

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's something I've been working with this week.

Matthew 13:10–17 (CSB)

Then the disciples came up and asked him, “Why are you speaking to them in parables?”

He answered, “Because the secrets of the kingdom of heaven have been given for you to know, but it has not been given to them. 12 For whoever has, more will be given to him, and he will have more than enough; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 That is why I speak to them in parables, because looking they do not see, and hearing they do not listen or understand. 14 Isaiah’s prophecy is fulfilled in them, which says:

You will listen and listen,
    but never understand;
    you will look and look,
    but never perceive.
    15 For this people’s heart has grown callous;
    their ears are hard of hearing,
    and they have shut their eyes;
    otherwise they might see with their eyes,
    and hear with their ears, and
    understand with their hearts,
    and turn back—
    and I would heal them.​

“Blessed are your eyes because they do see, and your ears because they do hear. 17 For truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see the things you see but didn’t see them, to hear the things you hear but didn’t hear them.

++++++

“That word mystery or secret refers to something that was hidden in the Old Testament and now made known in the New Testament. It was no secret that God was going to send the Messiah to usher in a kingdom; what was a secret was what kind of Messiah God would send, and how that Messiah would conquer—not through political struggle or physical force, but through selfless love and a sacrificial death on a cross. So for those who were trusting that Jesus was indeed the promised King, the parables were helping them understand what kind of King He was and what kind of kingdom He was ushering in.
    David Platt, Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary: Exalting Jesus in Matthew, B&H Publishing Group, 2013. p174.

Rob

#4 Deacon, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Gup, you are imposing that into the text.

This is Paul's commentary to New Covenant believers, not a qualifying of what Abraham believed.

He simply states the promises were spoken to Abraham, and his seed, and that the Seed in view was the promise of Christ.

You have to impose an understanding of the Gospel of Christ into the text, and...

...deny clear New Testament teachings which make it clear that men had not had the Mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ revealed to them in prior Ages.

Here is another passage, where we do see Gentile Inclusion, but, the statement of the Mystery stands alone...

Ephesians 3
    King James Version (KJV)

3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

First, we see that the subject is the revelation of the Mystery of Christ. Paul defines it for us.

Next...

5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

...is the clear statement...it was not made known to the sons of men in other Ages.

We also see it is now revealed unto His holy Apostles and Prophets...

...by the Spirit. That will be a useful fact to remember when we go to our next passage (1 Corinthians 2).

And we see...

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

...Gentile Inclusion, but, as I said, the previous statements stand by themselves and it cannot be denied that the Mystery of Christ was not revealed to the sons of men (which includes all men) in other Ages, but it is now revealed to His holy Apostles and Prophets (those preaching Christ in Paul's day) by the Spirit of God.

I will suggest to you at this time that the Spirit in view is the Comforter, Whom Christ taught would teach the disciples when He came, which would take place after Christ returned to Heaven.

So I ask you, how can we deny that the Mystery of Christ was not revealed in other Ages when Paul makes that clear here?

Continued...

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true, but, the fact remains that no man was privy to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Some think it strange to consider that there is more than one Gospel mentioned in Scripture, but I can assure you there is.

And to clarify, there is only One Gospel of Jesus Christ, but, that does not change the fact that the disciples went out to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom when Christ sent them out. That was not the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

We also see that the Children of Israel heard the Gospel "like as we," but, neither did they hear a revealed Gospel of Christ. What they heard was that God was going to deliver them and bring them into their own land where they would have rest.

In the first quote the good news is that Abraham would have an heir, and more than that, many descendants.

In the second quote we see God's promise that what He promises, that He will do.

Galatians 3:8 does not say "God preached the gospel of Jesus Christ to Abraham and when Abraham believed it, he was made righteous," it says...

Galatians 3:8
    King James Version (KJV)

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

...it says He preached the gospel, and it is the same Gospel Paul speaks of that we read of in Genesis...in thee shall all nations be blessed."

You don't take that and equate it to the Gospel of Jesus Christ as it is revealed to men by the Spirit:

1 Corinthians 15
    King James Version (KJV)

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Yes the Gospel of Christ is in view for you and I, but that is not what Abraham received. We know what he was promised, and in retrospect can we understand that this was in fact the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Abraham could not, because the Gospel of Jesus Christ was kept secret since the world began.

Continued...

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, there is no mention of Abraham having an understanding of the Mystery of the Gospel of Christ here.

Secondly, we know what it is that Abraham believed, it is recorded for us in Genesis, and it is not the revelation of the Mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Third, the "justification of Abraham" is not justification through the redemption which is in Jesus Christ, because Abraham is justified based on what he did (believed), not based on what Christ did (which was not possible until Christ actually died in his (Abraham's) stead.

Paul makes that clear before he even comments on Abraham being credited as righteous:

Romans 3:23-26
    King James Version (KJV)

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

There is a difference between the two righteousness being imputed. The first is temporal and refers to that which is according to the flesh (Romans 4:1), which is also apparent in James' statement of Abraham being declared just due to his works (and there is no conflict between James and Paul, because both are speaking of men in the temporal); the second is an eternal context, salvific. It is the imputation of Christ's righteousness upon all and in all who believe on Christ:

Romans 3:20-22
    King James Version (KJV)

20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Continued...

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, the point would be Gentile Inclusion, but in no way does this detract from the clear teachings of the Mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The point being that Abraham was uncircumcised when declared righteous through his belief in the promises of God.

As I said, not going to happen, because it is simply a basic principle Paul teaches. And as often as he teaches it we would think there would be more people that understood that understanding of the Gospel was just as much revealed in this Age as the Rapture was.

Just as no man had ever had revealed to them that the Church would be resurrected, both those dead and those alive, in glorified bodies...

...even so no man understood that when Christ came He would die in the stead of the sinner, arise from the dead glorified, and save men through the eternal indwelling of God, which is what we call Reconciliation.

Man's basic problem is that he is conceived and born separated from God, and that is what Christ remedies by immersing men into eternal union with Himself. This is the Baptism with the Holy Ghost. Christ is the Baptizer.

Continued...

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please do not drag the doctrines of men into this.

I am not a Calvinist, nor an Arminian, and their teachings have no bearing on this topic.

Apparently you are not very familiar with Calvinist doctrine. Calvinists believe men are regenerated prior to faith, which is the opposite of what you charge them with.

No, a fundamental basis for the depravity of men is seen here:

Romans 3:10-18
    King James Version (KJV)

10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:

16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:

17 And the way of peace have they not known:

18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

You feel the depravity of man is irrelevant?

Hardly. Understanding man is incapable of saving himself is an important Biblical Truth that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is meant to remedy.

I would agree, but again, please don't drag your pet peeves into the discussion. The intent is to discuss the Mystery of the Gospel of Christ, which is what you jumped in on.

Continued...

10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never been adopted by a human being.

I agree, no regeneration is needed for human beings to adopt.

And this is relevant to...?

Then we commit the error the Writer of Hebrews warns his brethren not to commit:

Hebrews 6
    King James Version (KJV)

1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

We would be, having the faith of Abraham, simply believing the foundational principles established in his day.

Abraham was not privy to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, he believed God for what was revealed to Him. A son. Land. All families of the earth blessed through him/his offspring.

Sorry, no. The righteousness we have is that of Christ...

...not that of Abraham.

Read why Abraham was declared righteous again, and see if it is not based on what he did.

Continued...

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a son of God, not a son of Abraham.

Think about what you are saying, lol: you are saying that we have Abraham's righteousness.

You are also equating the righteousness of a man declared just based on what he did...

...with the Righteousness of Christ.

You may not realize that, but that is precisely what you do.

We distinguish between righteousness and salvation. We are declared righteous from an eternal perspective in regards to the penalty of sin.

But, we are not of ourselves righteous.

So salvation is not an equable term that is synonymous with righteousness. Men can have salvation through Christ, and can be declared righteous through Christ, but he can never display the Righteousness of Christ in his own life through his own efforts.

That is why Christ came to die for us.

Continued...

12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is correct.

However, Abraham was not eternally redeemed through being declared righteous through his faith or works:

Hebrews 9:12-15
    King James Version (KJV)

12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

He died still owing a sin debt which would not be paid until Christ died in his stead.

I don't see that in the Calvinist's view.

At the very least, they try to teach the Sovereignty of God in Salvation. At least most of them do.

Whereas we see most Arminians embracing loss of salvation, which is not surprising, since they basically teach men save themselves to begin with, thus have to maintain their salvation.

As he states, we are sons of God, not sons of Abraham. That we are descendants simply means we are the fulfillment of the promise. We are blessed through the Singular Seed, Christ Jesus.

God bless.

13. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think you’ve missed my primary argument. My argument is that UNDERSTANDING THE GOSPEL IS NOT NECESSARY FOR SALVATION, only believing the gospel is a necessary prerequisite for righteousness.

I agree, Abraham had little to no understanding of the mystery, yet for his faith alone (without understanding) God made him righteous.

Ephesians 1:13-14 (NASB) 13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.

The word “listening” (in Greek “akouo”) in verse 13 of Eph 1 is the basic faculty of hearing, and does not denote understanding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our opinions are not really relevant.

...has no bearing on this discussion.

Bring your Bible, but leave your doctrines of men at home.

That is a false argument.

Men have always been saved by grace through faith.

What is different, though, is the revelation given to men in differing Ages.

And that is false doctrine.

From the Garden until the Cross Atonement was accomplished by vicarious animal death.

And only the Cross brought about Eternal Redemption, for the blood of bulls and goats could not take away sins.

It is true all who are eternally redeemed are redeemed through Christ Death, burial, and Resurrection.

However, that does not take place prior to Christ coming and dying, and rising from the dead.

And if you think that this...

Genesis 3:15
    King James Version (KJV)

15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

And this...

Romans 5:6-8
    King James Version (KJV)

6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

...are the "same message," you're wrong.

Both speak of Christ, but, the Old Testament Saint could not put the Gospel of Christ in Genesis 3:15 in a proper context and understand that it dealt with Christ's victory over sin through His death on the Cross.

Continued...

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was the mystery that the Gentiles would be under the Same Messiah as the Jews would be, the mystery of the church age, and also the gospel itself, for the Messiah had not yet arrived to fulfill all of that in the OT.

16. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John 8:56 (NASB) "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad."

Jesus himself confirmed Abraham’s faith in Him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham would have know of a coming Messiah, but he would not have known that he would be Jesus of Nazareth!

18. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. That didn’t stop God from making Abraham righteous for his faith, though.

19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all, I have addressed your arguments.

And you continue to present arguments that are not Scriptural.

Let's look at them:

First, that is a ridiculous notion. God has always meant for man to understand His will, which is why He gave us the Word of God to begin with, that we might understand.

Secondly, that is the entire basis of Paul's teaching of the Mystery of the Gospel of Christ, to make known that which was kept secret.

Third, it is bad etiquette to use caps, it denotes yelling at your antagonist. You can use the emphasis functions and do the same thing without coming across as reacting emotionally.

I tell you this last because it is important how we come across to the public in how we deal with each other, not so much that the caps really bother me, lol.

Kind of hard to believe something you don't understand, isn't it?

Not a good argument, my friend.

He had no understanding of the Mystery, that is Paul's point.

Now, let me introduce you to some other fellows who not only rejected the Gospel of Jesus Christ when the Lord presented it to them...

Matthew 16:20-23
    King James Version (KJV)

20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

...but they did not believe Him when He preached it to them that He would arise from the dead:

Mark 16:9-14
    King James Version (KJV)

9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

10 And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept.

11 And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not.

12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.

13 And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them.

14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

So you tell me, Gup, how is it you can deem these men born again believers when they did not believe in the Resurrection?

It would not be, as Paul teaches, until the Spirit is sent that men will have their understanding opened. And I will close this response with our next passage, where we see that clearly.

Sorry, no. Abraham was declared righteous because he believed God('s promises).

He was not righteous in his own being, it was an imputed righteousness.

We too have an imputed righteousness, and it is because we believe, but, it is Christ's righteousness applied to our account. It is apositional standing before GOd, not a practical one. We will never be sinless while we yet remain in fallen flesh.

Well, our next passage actually mentions hearing, but first I would suggest to you that in the Bible, "Hearing" denotes an embrace of what is said or taught. Remember the charge "Having ears they hear not?"

There is no embrace of the Gospel of Christ apart from understanding, and it is vital that we understand that understanding of spiritual things, from the Garden throughout all eternity...is always given by God.

Here is our next passage where we see the Mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ taught:

1 Corinthians 2
    King James Version (KJV)

1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Paul sets the stage, the subject is Christ crucified. That is "the Testimony of God."

3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.

4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Their faith, specifically the object of their faith...is what he is concerned with. And keep in mind that Paul teaches that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the power of God unto salvation." Notice he is very concerned that they understand what he is teaching here?

6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

He states what they teach them is wisdom. He will now define wisdom:

7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

They speak the hidden wisdom of God in a mystery. Again, what is the subject? Christ crucified.

He will now show that no man had this wisdom:

8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Again, the subject is Christ crucified.

Ha the rulers of this world known the Gospel, they would not have crucified Christ. That is not a compliment, by the way, because as Peter failed to understand in the passage quoted above, Christ came for the specific intent of dying in the stead of the sinner. The Redemptive Plan was decided on before the world began, and kept secret since the world began. Satan would have assigned the most formidable security crew to keep the Lord alive if he had known the Mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and ironically, he brings about his own downfall in effecting events (such as entering Judas) that Christ be put to death.

Now, consider carefully one of the most wrested verses in all of Scripture:

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

This is usually taught as to how great Heaven is going to be, but, if we maintain the context, we understand that what is being said in this quote is that no man has seen, heard, nor imagined that which God has prepared for them, and it is referencing...

...Christ crucified.

This is the hidden wisdom of God in a Mystery, Gup. It was true in the Isaiah's day, and it was true in Christ's day.

It was not until God began revealing the Gospel to men...

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

...that men would understand the Gospel as it is found in the Hebrew Scriptures. This is why we see numerous statements of the Law and Prophets testifying of Jesus Christ.

We could go on, but I am out of time about 30 minutes ago, but, I appreciate your participation in the thread, and hope you understand no offense is meant, but, I am confident in this teaching and have been debating for years, so, don't mistake confidence in the Word of God as intentional offfense. We are always going to get upset when someone challenges our doctrine, but, we need to let Scripture settle these matters.

God bless.

#19 Darrell C, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  20. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Galatians 3:11 (NASB)
    Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

Romans 5:21 (NASB)
    so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 10:10 (NASB)
    for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Romans 10:5-9 (NASB) 5 For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live by that righteousness. 6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: "DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, 'WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?' (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or 'WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?' (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead)." 8 But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

I would argue that, for the most part, righteousness and salvation are synonymous. Salvation encompasses righteousness & the gospel. Since death came by sin (ROM 5:12) it stands to reason life can only come by righteousness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.