1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Nature of Man

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JSM17, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In post #206, you say (and I quote):
    "You looked up the Hebrew (a fruitless exercise)... "

#261 Gup20, May 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Quote the whole statement in the context.
    For you it was a fruitless exercise. You had pre-determined in your mind what the word was going to mean before you looked it up because of your own bias. You were not objective and still are not objective.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A personal attack is a comment against personal character which has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue being discussed. ie; "I thought you were a woman because you are emotional".

Now if a lie is committed and I say you lied that is not a personal character attack, but rather pointing out a known truth. ie; "Your appology is a lie and only piles one sin on top of another". How do I know this is a lie?

Saying "I apogolize" the way you have here does not qualify as an "apology". This quote speaks only of a "defense" for yourself as to what you have said. There is no regret, no remorse, no conviction in your heart that you have hurt another's feelings. And then you close your "apology" by dismissing the comments perceived by DHK as personal attacks by blaming DHK for "choosing" to find an offense in them. This "apology" is no apology at all.

"apology"-1.a written or spoken expression of one's regret, remorse, or sorrow for having insulted, failed, injured, or wronged another:

I have read both of you guys comments and the main one that I took to heart as personal without cause was the "emotional" comments because I for one get very emotional and passionate myself when it comes to certain topics and this has nothing whatsoever to do with womanhood. Do you never get emotional Gup? If you do, does it mean you might be a woman? You can tell someone you think they are getting too emotional and that may be fine, but to make it a female thing, come now, you were intentionally trying to belittle the man.

:jesus:

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Many times, and I am guilty of this in the past as well, we will say "IF I have offended anyone" when we know full well we have offended someone. This in itself begins the apology with a personal denial. We should strive not to offend and when someone tells us that our comments have offended them we should feel remorse that we have done so and say "My words have offended you and I am very sorry".

I have had people on this board tell me that I have personally attacked them and then I would apologize for offending them and then they would post back to me that they were not offended! This tells me that they were lying about seeing my post as a personal attack.

I'm just saying we all need to be honest and true. If we get outa line with a comment ( and we are all imperfect, it happens) then truly apologize. If we are not really offended then don't cry "personal attack" just to make the poster look bad, this too is sin.

:jesus:

5. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I see that you have modified the contents of my post in post #261. So, now you are acting dishonestly by abusing the authority of the moderator, and for what purpose?

Sabotaging posts to support your own position is gross abuse of authority.

You have lost all credibility and respect. This conversation is over.

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

What I fail to understand is why some can ‘name call’ at will, associating others with Mormonism, Gnosticism, liars, Catholicism etc, while others are chastised by setting forth the affinity between their views and Calvinism. Why the double standard? Why the hypocrisy?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Post #261 says "edited by DHK" It was a mistake. In reality it isn't edited. If it is, please show me where and I will restore it.

In a moderator's forum there are two buttons: one says "edit", the other "quote." Before I answered you, I had hit the edit button without realizing it. In other words my answer to you was in the form of editing your post. So I had to go in and re-edit your post to put it back to the original, and then quote you in order to provide an answer. That is why a "edited by DHK" shows up. It is not because anything of your post is altered. It is because I made a mistake.