1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The new Charles Finney?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Feb 21, 2014.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I find it strange that so many in here complain about judging. I think it is a good thing to discern methods of men especially when they demand their church follow their vision or get out of the way. I suggest you all do a little research on Furtick before you side with him. One of the main problems with modern evangelicalism is the pragmatism it promotes. Don't ask any questions or dare judge if the numbers are there it must be right.

I'll gladly worship with a small number of genuine believers over gushing over a multitude who are emotionally drawn to a charismatic preacher. You may call Reformed churches dying out because of judging, but I believe it to be the result of them being God pleasers and not man pleasers. :wavey:

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't know much about Furtick, but Finney, IMO, was a heretic. He didn't believe in the depravity of man. He believed all men were essentially good; that it was possible to have a community of "sinless saints."
    He was theology was known as Oberlin theology, named after the college he was president of.
    It was Finney that popularized the "altar call," but along with it added in some extremes. His philosophy was "the end justifies the means." Use any method you like as long as you reach that desired end. Many of those "means" may have been unethical.

3. SolaSaint

Careful DHK, you'll get demonized in here for saying words like that. :smilewinkgrin:

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who on this board in this thread has been praising Furtick without offering critique? Who in this thread has said we shouldn't hold other churches and pastors accountable for their theology? Who on this board and in this thread has gushed over his ministry? Who is saying that we should legitimate his methods because of numbers?

I respectfully disagree with you on the nature of his ministry, but do call for him to be held accountable. However, given the nature of being baptist that is a limited call on my part.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say Charles Finney popularized theconcept thatthe sinners determine by their free will choices whether to get saved or now, and that we have to appeal to them for an emotional response, that enough of the free will remained to havethem make the decisions, so just had to stir them up, convice them into salvation thru facts/emotions!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was at th extreme/fringe end of those who espoused state of sinless perfection/holiness, that we basically determine pur own salvation and spiritual condition!

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sure you would.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While many of them are, that depends upon the pastor and leadership, for look at Dr james D kennedy/John MacArthurs churches!

Also think MANY large baptists churches, who hold to reformedSotierology, but not all the rest of calvinism are growing and moving!

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really............

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    interesting read on Finney, appears that he was raised up around hyper calvinism, and decided to go to extreme other position of pelagianism!

www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/finney.htm‎

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes well there is an unbiased source isn't it.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can be calvinist, and still have the integrity to actually tell the truth on others teachings though!

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea well sorry the way he gets trashed I have no faith in that.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't ot well known that Charles Finney though taught that we as sinenrs still are 'good enough" to still decide for Jesus by purely our free will?

15. SolaSaint

I rank Finney among the most detrimental to American Christianity, right up there with Robert Schuler and Rick Warren. What they all have in common is a man centered gospel, yes even a semi-pelagainism. Many might say this all has resulted in many professions of faith, but how many are genuine. I know many will say we cannot tell the difference between the sheep and goats so fill our churches with as many as possible and let God work it out. I guess this has some merit but the problem I have always had is that we who are leading churches in this direction are responsible and I cannot sleep at night knowing I may lead someone to a false profession of faith.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    finney would have fit right in with charasmatic preachers, all emotional, appealing to us to get right with God...

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not know that.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, he wasn't Charismatic; more of a social reformer.
    From Beale's "In Pursuit of Purity," chapter six:

19. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

That equation is commutative Yeshua