1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The NT does not teach Christ to return soon.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 37818, Oct 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NT teaches Christ's return will be sudden and unexpected to the lost.

Matthew 24:48, ". . . But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; . . ."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it does.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, you believe so. Most NT translators believe so.
    One Scripture?

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    40 When therefore the lord of the vineyard shall come, what will he do unto those husbandmen?
    41 They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those miserable men, and will let out the vineyard unto other husbandmen, who shall render him the fruits in their seasons.
    42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, The same was made the head of the corner; This was from the Lord, And it is marvelous in our eyes?
    43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken away from you, and shall be given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
    44 And he that falleth on this stone shall be broken to pieces: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will scatter him as dust.
    45 And when the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them. Mt 21

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. So how does that mean Christ lied about coming soon?

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ???

Do you still beat your wife?

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either Christ taught He would soon return or suddenly return. Which? BTW, when He does return it will then have been soon. Matthew 24:48, ". . . evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; . . ."

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 And Jesus went out from the temple, and was going on his way; and his disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple.
    2 But he answered and said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
    3 And as he sat on the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
    34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished. Mt 24

The generation that witnessed the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple was "this generation".

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished. Mt 24

As in:

...synonymous with:

28 Verily I say unto you, there are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Mt 16

As in 'this generation':

40 When therefore the lord of the vineyard shall come, what will he do unto those husbandmen?
    41 They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those miserable men, and will let out the vineyard unto other husbandmen, who shall render him the fruits in their seasons.
    42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, The same was made the head of the corner; This was from the Lord, And it is marvelous in our eyes?
    43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken away from you, and shall be given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
    44 And he that falleth on this stone shall be broken to pieces: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will scatter him as dust.
    45 And when the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them. Mt 21

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You error. Conflating the second apprearing with His transfiguration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So 'at His transfiguration' He 'miserably destroyed those miserable men, and let out the vineyard unto other husbandmen'?

No. You're just going to keep parroting the same old lame attempts to explain away what's obvious in the scriptures. The "coming of the Son of man" came upon 'that wicked generation' that judicially murdered Him.

Not in the mode to keep going in circles with you.

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Per chance are you per-millennial?
    The transfiguration is distinct for Christ's second appearing in Matthew 24.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know how stupid you make Christ look when you force the passage to mean "there are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death within the next six days"?

• Like Like x 2
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #13 37818, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Define "soon."

Meanwhile, there are no "lost" in the scriptures except metaphorically. Israel, are the lost sheep because this nation has been portrayed as sheep since they became a people. Jesus said these words.

Matt 15:22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.
    23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.
    24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

He said the above to a gentile woman.

Jer 50:17 Israel is a scattered sheep; the lions have driven him away: first the king of Assyria hath devoured him; and last this Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon hath broken his bones.

It is this people Israel collectively that has this following said about them in Psa 51.

Psa 51:6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
    7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

David did not have broken bones and neither did our Lord Jesus, whom David typifies. This person in Psa 51 did have broken bones, according to verse 8. A flockl of sheep is a collective one with plural members. Watch this;

2 Chronicles 18:16
    Then he said, I did see all Israel scattered upon the mountains, as sheep that have no shepherd: and the Lord said, These have no master; let them return therefore every man to his house in peace.

And this;

Psalm 44:11
    Thou hast given us like sheep appointed for meat; and hast scattered us among the heathen.

And watch this;

Ezekiel 34:6
    My sheep wandered through all the mountains, and upon every high hill: yea, my flock was scattered upon all the face of the earth, and none did search or seek after them.

Following is a two-fold prophecy from circa 600 BC with one part fulfilled when Jesus came into the world as shepherd, according to John 10, and the second part awaiting the coming of the day of the LORD when it too will finally be fulfilled literally. Look what is said.

Ezekiel 34:12
    As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.

Lk 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

Paul the apostle to the gentiles wrote 13 epistles to us and never one time said in them anywhere that we are lost. One must be known or at least possessed to be lost. But here is what he said about gentiles in time past before the door of faith was opened to us in AD 40 as recorded in Acts 10. Watch it;

Eph 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
    12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
    13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

Paul described gentiles in all kinds of ways above but he did not say gentiles were lost.

In his earthly ministry, Jesus defined it in this manner, but no one believes him, especially Christians.

Matt 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

There are very few professors of Christ as savior who are living today that will dare to believe what those words I have quoted actually says. But I am telling the truth.

It is a shame that Christians believe their denominational leaders over the Lord Jesus, even when he speaks plainly like he has above.

Jesus said, "Behold I come quickly." Re 22:12

Thanks for reading this. It is a long response but it points out the importance of words and their meaning in context. They must be believed.

#14 JD731, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That day Jesus said what He said to the day of the transfiguration were eight days.

#15 37818, Oct 3, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know how stupid you make Christ look when you force the passage to mean "there are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death within the next eight days"?

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your ignorace. Luke 9:27-29, ". . . But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God. And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray. And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, . . ."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Along with Matthew 24:27, "For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.