1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Philosophy of Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Nov 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that Jesus was not speaking of anything as simple and crass as cannibalism. On the other hand, many would not have left if Jesus was using an equally simple symbolic metaphor that held no real significant meaning except "go to church, eat a cracker, drink a sip of grape juice and try to remember me once a month".

I am not changing the subject, put pointing out the parallel. God the Son did not become EVIL, any more than Christians all became cannibals. However God did more than a giant symbolic NOTHING-BURGER when Jesus cried out "My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?" SOMETHING real and significant happened when "he who knew no sin became sin". The details are above my pay grade, but the reality is unmistakable. Our sin is real and it matters and it COST GOD something to redeem us.

Remember the words of David "I will make no offering that costs me nothing." Is God capable of less than a man after His own heart? Just because something is metaphysical, does not make it "not real".

Shalom (peace and well being)

#141 atpollard, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A thing we should all remember is to be like the Bereaians searching the scriptures.
    Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
    In other words don't just take the teachers word but make sure what they teach is in the Word of God.
    MB

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Justify your method of interpretation.

How can you interpret that Jesus was not speaking of anything as simple and crass as cannibalism when He said to "drink my blood; eat my flesh", yet interpret God becoming sin as something as simple and crass as God becoming a disobedient, ungodly, unholy, evil act?

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...a few other accomplishments:

We are also justified by His blood:

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, shall we be saved from the wrath of God through him. Ro 5

His blood also sanctifies us:

12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people through his own blood, suffered without the gate. Heb 13

His blood also cleanses our conscience:

14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish unto God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? Heb 9

His blood also united the two folds:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye that once were far off are made nigh in the blood of Christ. Eph 2

...and no doubt there's several others that could be mentioned...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that there is NO sound theology except for scriptures, so no need ever to consult and use any external sources?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God also gave to us gifted resources to use in addition to the Bible!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is Pauline Justification , that Jesus would suffer in our place, as the sinless Son of God would become sin bearer for our sake, the righteousness death on behalf of the unrighteous!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was experiencing upon His Cross the Hell that lost sinners will have to endure...

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is the Atonement of Christ upon that Cross an unholy act then?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sound advise!

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as resources but not as additions to the Bible. God has given us teachers, preachers, evangelists, people to encourage us, and His Spirit to guide us and convict us.

But if God became evil, unrighteous, unholy....does it really matter?

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen to more Grateful Dead and less gangster rap.

Oh...were you asking? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...where does it say that? Would love to see scripture reference please...

14. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I reject any premise that begins with the assumption that scripture means EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what the words say.

This is "my body and my blood" can mean many things, however it CANNOT mean "this is NOT my body and my blood".
    He "became sin" can mean many things, however it CANNOT mean "He DID NOT become sin"

I cannot explain how the very GOD became a man and was both God (doing things that only God can do) and fully man (experiencing things that only a man can experience) ... yet scripture is clear that it is so. So I "interpret" that Jesus became sin the same way that I interpret that God became a man ... He said so and I have no reason to think the statement is not true. The flip side of the same question is "How can we be His righteousness?" and "How can God's Holy Spirit dwell inside of us?"

All are questions that touch on how the SPIRITUAL realm interacts with the PHYSICAL realm. That is "metaphysics". That is reality beyond even the strange world of relativity (where objects gain mass as they move faster) or quantum mechanics (where something can be "positive", "negative", "simultaneously positive or negative" or "simultaneously positive and negative"). If Newtonian logic doesn't even hold true for all physical truths, how can we expect it to hold true for metaphysical truths.

God became sin, the same way he became fully human and the same way we become His righteousness ... God is God.
    Paradoxes are proof that He is God.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

God literally "becoming sin" CAN mean things (like a "sin offering", a "guilt offering", "bearing our sin", "treated as if He were sin") but it CANNOT mean that God literally made Christ to become sin because this is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Scripture says.

God is God. This is not a paradox. Either God is righteous or God is unrighteous. Either Christ was obedient to the Father to even to dying on a cross or He was disobedient. We cannot have it two ways. God is not a God of chaos.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus "becoming sin" does not literally mean "the Atonement of Christ upon the Cross". Atonement does not mean "becoming an act of unrighteous".

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am just reacting to the belief that we do not need anything else other then the Bible, as there is no use to other books and tools!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My God, My God, why are you forsaking me?
    Far more then just quoting psalms going on there!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus taking the due judgement and punishment we deserved was most Holy thing ever done!

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's the other way around. Psalm 22 is looking forward to the Cross.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.