1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Post Tribulation Rapture position

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 18, 2014.

1. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does scripture state that these 7 churches represent historic periods?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

there were 7 churches that existed in time of John writting and they represent different kinds of assemblies that will be present upon earth until jesus returns!

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. You've said it twice now, but I asked where does scripture state this.

4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Again, the text does not say that. Therefore, the literal interpretation would be to see this as a specific promise to a specific 1st century congregation in Philadelphia. Can these characteristics be applied to assemblies throughout history? Probably. However that is speculative at best.

But lets assume you are right, that it really is a symbol or type of churches throughout history, does that mean that only 1 in 7 congregations will be raptured? This is the only church promised to be spared the period of "testing" spoken of here, so if you are going to be consistent, then the only conclusion is that only about 1 in 7 churches will be raptured.

Also, there is no evidence that this time of "testing" or "temptation" is the so-called Tribulation period. That is being read into the text.

It says "about to come" in the NASB. Other versions simply say "that is coming." The language gives a sense of immediacy at the time it was written. not 2000+ years later.

5. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Can you show any verse that uses wrath and tribulation interchangeably?

Romans 2:9 is the only verse that is even arguably used in such a way that I'm aware off, and even then it is talking about eternal judgement, in the form of affliction from God, not some future "Great Tribulation."

6. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

:laugh: That's hilarious.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure

Here the same day is referred to as both wrath and tribulation (distress and anguish) as the previous word distress means tribulation.

These passage is talking about the activities during the "tribulation" period.

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I don't understand how you get distress to mean tribulation here? Is there something in the Hebrew that indicates that?

Yes, but those are specific events that are the wrath of God poured out on the wicked, not a period of time that can be called the wrath of God.

I think we may have misunderstood each other somewhere. I was saying that the dispensationalist sees the "tribulation" period as the wrath of God. Then, since we are told that we are spared the wrath of God, they insist on a pre-trib rapture. I however, deny that this "tribulation" is a period of God's wrath, since the word tribulation never means wrath in scripture. I wasn't saying that if a period called the "Tribulation" exists that God's wrath isn't released during that time. Make sense?

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: ....keep pounding the parrot on that point....

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So when Jesus warned us of a coming tribulation time in the Future, like NONE other in History, and that unless he intervened to halt it, ALL would perish, he was mistaken?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So when revelation has this time period as when the wrath of goid is being poured out upon those who rejected jesus, and upon the world systems, it is not really Wrath?

12. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

Back to the OP.

Most serious Presbyterians are Post Mill.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would mean the Church here ushers in the time of Jesus reigning here on earth, and once that happens, he returns to usher in Final State, correct?

Like what Charasmatics call "Kingdom Now?"

14. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Jesus did not warn of a coming "tribulation time" he warned of a period OF tribulation. That may seem like hair splitting but it is really a HUGE difference. Jesus was warning of a time of increased persecution and attacks against the church and unrest in the world, not a 7 year period of time 2,000+ years later where God indiscriminately pours out his wrath on the wicked. Utter nonsense.

Did you read what I said? Go back, reread it, then post again.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you see the Antichrist as just a system, or that was already fulfilled?

And the time of jacob's Troubles are part of the great day of the Lord, yet to come, when God prepares national Israel to meet their coming Messiah!

16. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I'm not sure about the "Antichrist." I don't even like the term because scripture never gives that name to a super bad guy at the end of the age. But, I lean toward the beast in Revelation being either the Roman Papacy or a world system. I could be wrong though.

And the time of Jacob's trouble was the Babylonian captivity I believe, not something in the future.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even though the Bible calls him also the man of Sin, Son of perdition, that the world will worship him and his image?

18. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I don't see the necessity in connecting all those terms together. Regardless, if such a eschatological bad guy exists, then why not call him one of those titles, or the beast, instead of a term applied to false and apostate "believers"?

19. KRJ

KRJ New Member

I believe he will be the 12th Imam or Mahdi, not the Pope.

I believe it will be a revived Islamic Caliphate not the RCC, not a revived Roman Empire, and not the EU.

So could I. But I believe the end times system will be Islam.

#39 KRJ, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  20. thisnumbersdisconnected

I've recently come to that conclusion as well, KRJ. I don't believe the antichrist comes out of any Christian denomination.
    Consider how big the old Roman Empire was. It covered most of Europe, the Mideast and North Africa. Coming out of Islam, the antichrist would still fit that description.d
    More or less, yes. Radical Islam