1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pre-incarnate Christ

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hobie, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea.

I am comfortable saying that we can only know God the Father through Jesus the Son. And of course Jesus is fully God and fully man. But Jesus is not the Father and the Spirit.

The doctrine of the Trinity ventures beyond human comprehension because it speaks to the nature of God and the hypostatic union.

There is a lot of room for debate. What is not debatable, however, is that Jesus is fully God and fully man. This is addressed concretely in the creeds of the church as well as in Scripture.

2. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Obviously, the Apostles’ Creed is a summary of the ideas we can see in the NT but it does not directly quote from any NT book. The Nicene Creed on the other hand - the original Greek version, at least - quotes from or alludes to different NT books:

And in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the son of God, the Only-Begotten; …] born, not made, consubstantial with the Father; “through whom all things came to be (John 1:3);” who, for us men and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and “became flesh” (John 1:14) by the Holy Spirit and Mary the virgin, and became man, and crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and buried; and rose again “on the third day according to the Scriptures (1 Corinthians 15:4),” and ascended to heaven, and sits “at the right hand of” the Father (Mark 16:19); and will again come in glory “to judge the living and the dead” (1 Peter 4:5); “of whose kingdom there will be no end (Luke 1:33);” and in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Life-giver, “who comes from the Father” (John 15:26) …] I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins (cf. Acts 2:38)

3. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe in God the Father almighty;
    and in Christ Jesus His only Son, our Lord,
    who was born from the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary,
    who under Pontius Pilate was crucified and buried,
    on the third day rose again from the dead,
    ascended to heaven,
    sits at the right hand of the Father,
    whence He will come to judge the living and the dead;
    and in the Holy Spirit,
    the holy Church,
    the remission of sins,
    the resurrection of the flesh
    (the life everlasting).

This Creed itself is based on the ancient custom of asking candidates three questions when they are to be baptized (“Do you believe in God the Father almighty?” “Do you believe in Jesus Christ, (etc.)?” “Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, (etc.)?”) Perhaps the creed was originally devised for use by catechists - to teach the candidates what they are to believe in - or by the candidates - so that they know what to recite back. Early Christians ever since the beginning (cf. 1 Corinthians 3:15-17) already had the habit of summarizing the basic tenets of their faith in a declaratory form, professing belief in one or more of the persons of the Trinity.

Early Christians had two things: the so-called ‘Rule of Faith’ and the Creed. Both share much of the same contents, but they differ in function: the ‘Rule of Faith’ is a summary of the preaching and teaching, while the latter is a declaratory affirmation of faith. While the ‘Rule of Faith’ can be worded differently, creeds usually had a fixed wording probably because they had a liturgical function.

4. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to lean towards Nestorianism. I refuse to accommodate that position and stick to the Symbol of Chalcedon. So make out of it what you want but Nestorianism is found to be heresy when saying Jesus Christ is fully man instead of saying he has a fully human nature. Paul defines man as having a body, soul, and spirit which would give Jesus two persons instead of the person God only.

5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a teacher is proven true in what he says. You can trust his summary of what the scriptures say. And be found a heretic if you disagree.

6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can they be over the scriptures? Without the scriptures, they would not exist.

7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not true. God is one Spirit indivisible.
    “For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.” Colossians 2:9 (NCPB)

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:” Matthew 28:19 (NCPB)

“Then Peter said unto them, ‘Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” Acts 2:38 (NCPB)

Notice God's name is Jesus Christ in Trinity.

8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are preaching the Oneness Heresy.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) None of those creeds are the word of God.
    Where do I disagree with them? Quote me and the portion of one of those creeds where I differ.
    The New Testament documents are the sole written Apostolic authority, not any of the the creeds.
    There are some places in some of the creeds I know I disagree with.

For the record, I hold according to the New Testament there are three distinct Persons who are each in some way referred to, to be God. Philosophically God cannot not be and cannot not be three distinct persons.

#109 37818, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One person of the persons. God's name is His Hebrew name, Exodus 20:2, "I am the LORD thy God, . . ." And Jesus said, as it is recorded in John 5:43, "I am come in my Father's name, . . ." Isaiah 45:5, " I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: . . ."

#110 37818, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Christ = God our salvation anointed. God is the trinity.
    “For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.” Colossians 2:9 (NCPB)

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are a heretic if you deny the three distinct persons of the Godhead. And call yourself Baptist to boot?

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you claim Jesus Christ to be three distinct persons? That is the Trinity.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I accept the orthodox position as presented in the Chalcedon and Athanaisan Creeds. Not because they are Catholic doctrine but because I believe they rightly represent and summarize the Trinity as presented in Scripture.

Jesus is fully man and fully God. He not only has a human nature but a human body (the Word was made flesh).

Your view leans towards what is known as "Docetism"- that Jesus is God but only appeared to be human.

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you "Oneness"?

16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your claim = the symbol of Chalcedon leans towards Docetism. Because I do not stray from their statement.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I claim that you say you confirm creeds you actually deny. What you could not affirm earlier was not my words but a quote from the Athanaisan creed.

Both orthodox Christianity and Scripture teaches that Christ is fully man and fully God, one person, two "natures", not more man in His humanity nor less God in His divinity.

Your position tends towards one side of error these creeds tried to address. You are a Docetist not for what you believe (Jesus is God) but in what you reject (Jesus is man).

You can say "fully God" but have to pull back and reject actually human (that the Word really became flesh, that Christ was really made like us).

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would seem you cannot understand what I write. I explicitly stated in other words, that God is one and there aera three distinct persons who are that one God.

19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Holy, Holy, Holy. God in three persons, blessed trinity"

20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sayanora John C. I might check back on some of your posts in the future.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.