The Pre-Tribulational Rapture

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Darrell C, May 6, 2022.

1. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, how this relates to your question in the temporal sense:

Let's look at the highlighted aspect of your question and examine the question itself: you are concluding that "...if He were on earth He cannot be a Priest, hence He cannot be a Priest in the Millennial Kingdom."

The problem with that is that the text has a specific context of contrast between our Heavenly High Priest and those that were earthly (primarily the Levitical Priesthood, the "order" that was in force when Christ changed the Priesthood to His Own.

Thie following text might seem to be a lot, but it takes mere seconds to read it, and I will keep my comments as brief as I can:

Hebrews 7:19-28 King James Version

19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

20 And inasmuch as not without an oath he was made priest:

21 (For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:)

22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

23 And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death:

24 But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.

25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

28 For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.

Here are the points I see to be made from this passage:

1. The Law was incomplete in regard to remission of sins, The Writer makes this statement many times in Hebrews, to the point where we cannot ignore it (v.19);

2. The "better hope (than found in the Covenant of Law) was "brought in" at a point in time (v.19). Again we see the "change" that takes place when Christ comes.

3. The Levitical Priesthood was sworn in without an oath, but Christ's Priesthood was prophesied and sworn in with the oath of God. No reference to Melchisedec (vv.20-21);

4. Jesus is the guarantee of the New Covenant (v.22);

5. Jesus is the guarantee of a better Covenant (v.22);

6. Christ's Priesthood is better than that of men (including Melchisedec) because they had to continually change from priest to priest because they died, whereas Christ's Priesthood will go on forever (vv.22-25)

7. Christ is "separate from sinners." That cannot be said of any other Priest (v.26).

8. Christ did not and does not need to continually offer up sacrifice to make men perfect/complete in regards to remission of sins (Hebrews 10:10-14) because He had only to offer Himself up once (v.27)

9. The Law instituted priests who would die, but Christ's High Priesthood is based on the declaration (oath) of God Himself (v.28).

10. Christ's Priesthood is everlasting, which cannot be said of Melchisedec's, he died.

So the first point in regards to your question in the temporal sense of the question is this: the text is not implying that Christ's Priesthood would cease if He returns to earth.

Will Christ's Priesthood cease when He returns to gather His wheat? We know it can't, because it is established forever according to God's oath.

So you will have to conclude Christ is not going to return in order for the argument to be consistent:

The "...if He were on earth" is a reference to the priests from among men, not a direct reference to where Christ is:

We will see that when we get into Chapter Eight, in the next post.

Continued...

2. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, my statement about not addressing the question in a meaningful way referred to Hebrews 7-8. I recognize all that you have posted so far on various passage are meaning, heartfelt attempt to explain scripture.

I agree with pretty much everything you said about Hebrews and Melchizedek.

(edit: you posted just before I did)

The question concerns Hebrews 7-8 which tells us Jesus is currently at the right hand of the Father (made a High Priest forever at His resurrection and ascension).

His role as High Priest is said to be eternal and “unchangeable”. In Hebrews 8:4 it says “if He were on the earth He would not be a priest.”

Edit: you addressed the issue of Jesus continuing to be a priest on earth even though Hebrews 8:4 says if He were in the earth He wouldn’t be a priest, by saying His priesthood on earth would not be a Levitical priesthood, as best I could understand your argument.

What you didn’t address is the statement that Christ’s High Priesthood is “unchangeable”. Surely you recognize that if His High Priesthood moves from the “right hand of the Father in Heaven” to the earth for 1000 years, that is a major “change”

peace to you

3. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 8 King James Version

1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.

3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

4 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:

5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

Let me ask a question to put the point into context: was Christ not ministering unto us as our Great High Priest when He offered up Himself (v.3)?

Yes, because that is the point, the earthly High Priest offered up sacrifice for sin. Christ's Priesthood includes His offering up of Himself, and that took place on earth.

See how being on earth does not negate His Priesthood?

So again the primary answer to the question is this: "...If He were on earth" is not meaning He cannot be Priest on earth, it is a reference to the distinction between Christ and those who were of the earth.

In other words, Christ is not a High Priest taken from among men.

Secondly, those who were "on the earth" served under the example and shadow of Heavenly things. Christ served under the reality, the true, that those examples and shadows represented (i.e., an animal's death in the stead of the sinner versus Christ's death in the stead of the sinner).

So again some questions which I hope will make the point clear: was Christ our Great High Priest and serving as such when He offered up Himself? The answer is yes, because His role as Great High Priest is contrasted to the High Priest of the Levitical Priesthood and the offering the two made.

Was Christ's Priesthood negated because He was on earth when He made that offering? The answer is no, His Priesthood is everlasting.

Will Christ's Priesthood be negated when He returns as He describes in Matthew 24? The answer is no, His Priesthood is everlasting.

Is Christ's Priesthood exclusive to born-again believers in the Church? Yes.

When Christ returns at the end of the Tribulation will His ministry be exclusively that of the Great High Priest of the redeemed? No. He is coming back to judge. He is coming back in another role which is also said to be everlasting, that of reigning King. That is why He is both King and Priest.

Would Christ's Priesthood be negated if He reigned from earth? No, because it is everlasting.

So I think you are taking "...If He were on earth He would not be a Priest" in a separate context from that which it is given us. I think if you answer the above questions it will make sense to you.

I think we see reference to a distinction between His roles here:

Hebrews 9:25-28 King James Version

25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;

26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

The Writer makes a pretty bog deal about the fact our Great High Priest only had to offer one sacrifice for our sin: Himself.

We also note that the beginning of the world is contrasted to when Christ came into the world, "...the end of the world."

Christ came the first time to Himself bear our sins, and when He appears the second time (at the end of the Tribulation, as described by Matthew 24 by Christ Himself) it will be "without sin unto salvation," which is an intriguing statement.

I will present the two most reasonable explanations for the statement:

1. it is a reference to the fact that when He returns it is in judgment (v.27), rather than for the purpose of establishing the means of remission of sins (His offering of Himself);

2. it is a reference to His return to those who are saved, who are "without sin."

I think both are to be found in the statement.

Christ"s Priesthood wouldn't cease because He came back to the earth. He did this when He was glorified and walked the earth for forty days. He became Great High Priest over the redeemed when He offered Himself up. He remained Great High Priest when He arose from the dead. He will remain Great High Priest when He returns as conquering King. He will remain Great High Priest as He rules over the Millennial Kingdom.

But let me say this: when men went to Hades in the Old Testament and were divided between just and unjust, they did not go to Heaven. But what I think as a likely probability is that the Eternal Son of God went to Hades and was among the dead just there. In other words, while men could not go into Heaven until our Great High Priest began serving and opened a way into Heaven for us (Hebrews 10:19-20), there's no reason to think He never went to visit them.

That being said, I think it is equally probable that while Christ's rule over the Millennial Kingdom will have an earthly aspect, I think He is also going to be in Heaven. I think the Millennial Kingdom will be very much like how it is today, though there will be the prophesied "regeneration/reformation" of the earth and a return to Eden-like quality. Such as long life and an end to the enmity between animals, as well as enmity between animals and man.

His Priesthood and Kingship are everlasting, and He will be both in Heaven and earth in that time.

Hope that was meaningful, lol. There is more we could look at in Hebrews 7-8 but it's about time to get ready for the morning service.

Have a blessed Lord's Day.

God bless.

4. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The temporal aspect of your question is addressed directly in the last post, but I felt it necessary to point out a few things about the issue. For example, we cannot understand the beginning of Chapter Seven unless we understand the end of Chapter Six. Hebrews is a book that demands an understanding of the book as a whole. It is unique from all other books, and it is my belief that this highly doctrinal treatise was written by Paul anonymously due to his not being very popular among the Hebrews, lol.

Just look at the questions in the last post, I think they should give the answer that you were looking for. If you can answer the questions and still not see how coming to earth does not invalidate His Priesthood there is nothing more I could add to the issue to change your view.

Regardless of whether they do, I highly recommend intense study of this Book. If I was forced only to have one Book of the Bible, it would be this one. It is, in my view, probably the best way for us to gain a better understanding of the Gospel.

God bless.

5. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the post.

Hebrews says the High Priesthood of Jesus is “unchangeable.

Since Jesus is currently in Heaven, in the heavenly tabernacle not made with human hands, at the right hand of the Father making continuous intercession for the children of God it would be a major “change” to leave heaven and the heavenly tabernacle and the right hand of the Father to come to earth for 1000 years.

peace to you

6. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His Priesthood, is unchangeable, not His location.

Please answer the questions:

1. Was Christ the Great High Priest on earth, when He offered Himself up?

2. Will Christ be Great High Priest when He returns (and this is a bodily return to the earth)?

3. Why would Jesus' being in Heaven change anything? He was "currently in Heaven when the Writer wrote, yet He has to come back to the earth in His Second Coming. Does that nullify Him as our Great High Priest?

God bless.

7. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    (1) Yes
    (2) Yes
    (3) Yes, being in heaven changes things. Jesus’ role as High Priest in heaven was taken up after His ascension. It was in heaven, the true Holy of Holies not the shadow upon the earth, that His sacrifice was accepted by God the Father and He began His unchangeable High priesthood.

Hebrews 10:12-13 tells us He takes His place at the Father’s right hand, as our High Priest, making intercession for us, waiting until all His enemies are made His footstool.

His enemies are made His footstool when He returns, collects the saints in the rapture and proceeds immediately to the great throne judgment. This is the final fulfillment of all end times prophecy.

He cannot be on earth in a 1000 year reign, with Satan raging, because His enemies are not yet His footstool and He must still be in Heaven, at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us, “waiting”, or this passage of scripture is not true.

peace to you

8. LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

9. LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry but I don’t know how to do the partial quotes in the system. Maybe someone can tell me. Thanks.

10. LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi DarrellC,

I’ll input it this way until I learn how to copy the partial posts.

Apoc 11:12 And they heard a great voice from heaven, saying to them: Come up hither. And they went up to heaven in a cloud: and their enemies saw them.

DarrellC: Kind of hard for the first Resurrection of Revelation 20 to the first one in a context of sequence, isn't it?
    Particularly when the Two Witnesses are raptured right smack dab in the middle of the Tribulation (and for those who do not embrace a seven year Seventieth Week, please see Daniel 12 where there are 75 days added to the 3 1/2 year period that begins with the abomination of desolation, which itself begins at the end of the 3 1/2 year ministry of the Two Witnesses).

Darrell’s Argument: sequence of events:
    First Resurrection = resurrection of Jesus Christ
    Pre-Trib Rapture - before Tribulation
    Second Resurrection = resurrection of Post-Trib Martyrs

My Comment: Apoc 11:12 is NOT a Rapture. It doesn’t use that term. It says they “went up” or “ascended” into heaven. All holy souls who give their lives for Christ share in Christ’s Resurrection and Ascension. If Elijah (2 Kings 2:11) and Enoch (Gen 5:24) were Raptured then this disproves the Rapture because it proves you have to die before you can go to heaven. Notice the Two Witnesses (Enoch and Elijah) are killed ( Apoc 11:7). They came back to earth to die because they had to die before they could go to heaven as we know it.

DarrellC:The word "first" found in verses 5 and 6 is translated from the word prōtos. Strong's Concordance states:
    prōtos, pro'-tos; contracted superlative of G4253; foremost (in time, place, order or importance):—before, beginning, best, chief(-est), first (of all), former.
    It is used in contexts involving sequence, and it is used in contexts involving rank. A few examples of a context of rank (all verses KJV):
    Matt 20:27 And whosoever will be chief (G4413) among you, let him be your servant:
    Mark 6:21
    And when a convenient day was come, that Herod on his birthday made a supper to his lords, high captains, and chief (G4413) estates of Galilee;
    Mark 12:30
    And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first (G4413) commandment.
    Luke 15:22
    But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best (G4413) robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:

DarrellC: The Lord made the statement, "But many that are first (G4413) shall be last; and the last shall be first (G4413)." Here we see both sequence and rank. Those that came first (sequentially) will be last (in terms of rank), and those that are last (sequentially) shall be first (in terms of rank). So too, in Revelation 20, there is no need to demand a context of sequence to first, but to see that it is the type of resurrection that is indicated. To put it into easily understandable terms, the "first resurrection" is the resurrection of life, and "the second resurrection" is the resurrection unto damnation.

My Comment: Not necessarily. The First Resurrection is to life, however, specifically it refers to the resurrection of souls (Particular Judgement) as I said above. The Second Resurrection (at the Great White Throne Judgement or General Judgement) is the Resurrection of the Body (John 6:39-40, Rom 8:11, 1 Cor 6:14). This Resurrection is of BOTH the “Living and the Dead”. This means all those alive at the time of the General Judgement and also all those who have died whose souls are already in heaven or hell. This includes ALL men (ALL nations = ALL men - Matt 25:32). The Second Resurrection is not the Resurrection of the Damned only. I know Scofield interpreted John 5:29 (under his note on Apoc 20:5) that way but that is incorrect. St. Augustine interpreted the Two Resurrections the same way I show them here (Augustine, City of God 20.9-10).

DarrellC: The first resurrection is contrasted with the Second Death. Again, the "first resurrection" in terms of sequence is none other than the Resurrection of Jesus Christ:
    Acts 26:22-23 King James Version (KJV)
    22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
    23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

My Comment: If you read Apoc 20:5 literally I don’t see how you get that the First Resurrection is The Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Even Strong’s says this “Resurrection” can mean a “moral recovery” (#386). I do think using the exact term “Resurrection” here is a little confusing.

DarrellC: Daniel 12 taught of a resurrection:
    Daniel 12:1-2 King James Version
    12 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
    2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
    When the rich young ruler asked how he could obtain eternal life, this is likely what was key in his thoughts.
    So, as a first argument, I suggest that denying a Pre-Trib Rapture based on "the first resurrection" of Revelation 20 isn't going to work. The Tribulation Martyrs that are raised in the first resurerction could be glorified, but it's equally possible—since there will be an extended lifespan among men in that Age (Isaiah 65:20)—that they will simply live long lives as they did when God first created the earth.

My Comment: Dan 12:1-2 refers to the Great White Throne Judgement or General Judgement. We believe this is the Second Coming.

DarrellC: The Regeneration Christ spoke of here in this passage...
    Matthew 19:28
    And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
    ... will fulfill the Prophecy spoken of in the Old Testament among God's promises of restoration of the Nation of Israel.

My Comment: This is at the General Judgement.
    In the regeneration. Jesus Christ here calls the general resurrection the regeneration, because there will then be a renovation of the human body, and of the whole world. (1953 Catholic Commentary)

11. LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DarrellC,

In case others don’t see my post (#128) inside the quote, here it is:

Apoc 20:5 The rest of the dead lived not, till the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

DarrellC: Is this the first resurrection?
    Not at all. In a context of sequence the First Resurrection (unto life) is the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. The second is the Pre-tribulation Rapture (and hopefully you will understand this before this thread expires).
    The third?

My Comment: The First Resurrection in this verse is not referring to the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is referring to the Resurrection of Souls. In the Catholic Church we refer to this as the Particular Judgement (Heb 9:27, Luke 16:22 - the rich man was judged immediately and then punished. He didn’t have to wait until the end of time to be judged). The First Resurrection is NOT referring to a bodily resurrection and you can see this in verses like: Col 3:1, Rom 6:4, Eph 5:14, Rom 14:4, 1 Cor 10:12. Notice in these verses that they refer to a spiritual resurrection and not a bodily one. The First Resurrection is the resurrection of souls.

12. Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Great post and well explained. Much better than I did previously.

13. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the world is "apoc"?

14. Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Short for Apocalypse. It is the last book of the New Testament, written by St. John. From the Greek apokalypsis, meaning revelation.

15. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six hour warning
    This thread will be closed no sooner than 7 pm EDT / 4 pm PDT

16. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Sure!

If you know how to copy and paste you are halfway there: just scroll over the portion you want to respond to and highlight it. You will see Quote/Reply come up. If you hit quote it will save this portion until you go to the bottom of the page to respond. There you will see insert quotes. Click on that and the quotes will pop up.

I have done this with this:

Click on "Quote these Messages" and it will appear in the response box where you have right-clicked your cursor.

I love this function of this forum, it makes responding and breaking up the quotes very easy.

You can also just hit Reply at the bottom of the post you want to respond to. This will take you into the quote box. Just make sure your response is after all of the text that pops up. If you go into it you will have your comments in with what was quoted.

Hope that helps!

God bless.

17. Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    “Though St. John the Evangelist saw many strange monsters in his vision, he saw no creature so wild as one of his own commentators.” - G.K. Chesterton

18. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the third:

The order is listed in the OP.

This is speaking about protos (first) in a sequential context. It is not the "first" resurrection (Revelation 20:1-6) we see in either Revelation or the New Testament.

I might suggest rereading the OP. Not trying to be a wise guy, lol, just pointing out you are asking a question that the OP answers in detail.

And I'll be honest, I am not sure if I saw and responded to your post or not, and if I didn't I apologize: it's been a little hectic dealing with three threads at once and some of it has gotten a little blurred, lol.

The OP makes it clear that it is not, so again, not sure why you think your statement is relevant to what it does say.

It says what it means, it is physically dead believers being raised back to life.

That's not open for debate, it is simply what is stated in the text.

Whether they are glorified or not isn't really relevant, but there are those who try to teach that this is the Rapture. They likely are glorified due to their long life and the implication none of them die in that period.

But the rich man has not yet been cast into Hell (Gehenna, the Lake of Fire).

I agree those who die outside of God's will go into everlasting torment, but we have to maintain Scripture's teaching that they will be cast into gehenna Hell at the final judgment, the Great White Throne.

And we see that there are two resurrections that are distinctly different in Revelation 20.

No, but he has to wait for the end of this creation to be cast into the Lake of Fire.

Just an incontrovertible Bible Fact.

Sure it is.

I am sorry you don't understand that.

That is why "the rest of the dead" lived not again until the Second Death is imposed. They will be resurrected at that time just as Daniel 12:11-2 taught.

But you can't see it in Revelation 20:1-6.

;)

Sorry, but there is enough in this thread to show that is an erroneous conclusion.

I again invite you to read the thread again.

God bless.

19. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good grief

20. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did answer your questions. I hope you will answer mine concerning Hebrews 10:12-13 where Jesus is said to be sitting at the right hand of the Father, making intercession for us, waiting until “His enemies are made His footstool”

His enemies are made His footstool at His 2nd coming, and the great throne judgement.

Until then, Jesus is in heaven at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us.

peace to you