1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The reason Baptist preachers teach tithing

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by alexander284, Jan 7, 2020.

1. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yes I heard PM preach once. But I wasn't aware he taught tithing. But I don't suppose he wants to see the member's paychecks, or insisted upon them. but taught that they should, which is different. Our current pastor was an assistant to PM at the Tab until he was called to a nearby London church, then to our church.

2. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not a bit surprised!

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Pastor, when I was a member of Faith Baptist Church of Canoga Park in the 70's taught that Abraham gave a tithe to Melchisedec before the Law showing that a tithe was a good place to start for Christian giving.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When someone tells me that, I respond that next time I plunder an area, kill the people, and take the spoils, I will look up a local priest and give him a tenth. It's all under grace-- not law-- as the point is made.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a few names to call you too.

6. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    The tenth is a good place to start if one is monitoring their giving to God.
    But according to the New Testament in Christ's blood, we as believers are not under the Law, we are under grace and Christ's finished work on the cross for us.

As I see it, true giving is prescribed in 2 Corinthians 9...

" But this [I say], He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
    7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
    8 And God [is] able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all [things], may abound to every good work:
    9 (as it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
    10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for [your] food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;
    11 being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
    12 For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;"
    ( 2 Corinthians 9:6-12 ).

The tenth was for the support of the temple and its priests under the Law of Moses.
    Not to extort the New Testament believer to pay the salaries of a "pyramid" business model styled more as a corporation, and not the family of spiritual brothers and sisters ( who love each other and their Savior ) that it is.

Giving is to meet the needs of fellow believers and to show the grace of God to the world's poor...
    Not to make ( what ought to be ) humble and God-trusting-for-every-need pastors and teachers, rich and comfortable;
    Or to build up a huge "work for God" like so many in this day and age try to do.;)

There's a reason it's called "filthy lucre", and that believers are not to be greedy of it...
    Because the love of money is the root of all kinds of God-honoring and selfless behavior , isn't it? :Redface

#106 Dave G, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The tithe under the Law, Malachi 3:8-10, ". . . Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. . . ." I have also heard this at a Baptist church preached too.

I never agreed with that preaching. We are not under the Law to do storehouse tithing. Galatians 3:10-13, ". . . For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. . . .
    . . . .Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: . . . "

#107 37818, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  8. JamesW

JamesW New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

• Like Like x 1
  9. JamesW

JamesW New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tithe, circumcision, and Sabbath are among things that existed in pagan cultures that God took, tweaked/changed, and repurposed its new application for the Jews to use under Mosaic law. Tithe, for example, was given to magistrates, especially one crossing or using their land (tribute money). Abram did such when he squatted on the kings dale. Pointing to this societal custom and saying, "And this was before the Torah," to justify borrowing cherry-picked principles from Moses to apply to the Body of Christ reveals a level of not understanding the situation they are using to justify themselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's hear them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In one word, barbarian.

12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many ways to give and the rewards are the same We cannot out give God. Everything I've given has come back to me 10 times over. I try to look at it lie this. Tithing is a Jewish thing like Saturday worship. Besides Christians are not under the Law. They are under GRACE
    MB

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham was a barbarian?

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham was a Hebrew, Genesis 14:13. Do you consider to be Hebrew to be a barbarian?

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. And if that is true, and I do what Abraham did-- attack towns, kill the people and take the spoils and give a local priest a tenth-- then I would not be a barbarian...unless Abraham also was. Yet you put that name to me.

Yes or No: was Abraham a barbarian?
    Yes or No: am I a barbarian?

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.
    Yes.

Given how you think >

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is some of the craziest thinking I have ever seen. Abraham kills the people and takes the spoils, and he is NOT a barbarian; and I have never done any such thing and you say I AM.

I think you're too ignorant to discuss anything rationally.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek who is a type of Christ (Hebrews 7:3), and for which Christ is made our High Priest. Hebrews 6:20.

[

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, are you going give the local priest a tenth next time you kill and plunder?

• Funny Funny x 1