1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Seven Days of Creation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure if this is exactly what you quoted before from Cambridge but I can tell you that the idea of deep time came from the Hindus, was picked up by the Greeks and Romans, was picked up again from the Greek during the European Enlightenment by atheists and other anti-Chrisitans and non-Christians, and then became a corollary of Evolution because Darwinism needed lots of time to occur. However, the Enlightenment based their deep time on a misunderstanding of the sedimentary layers worldwide which their incipient geology attributed to long periods of erosion instead of recognizing them as the worldwide graveyard of the plant, marine, animal, and human life destroyed in the catastrophic Genesis Flood with wild tectonic plate upheaval creating the seven continents of the world today. The Great Unconformity suggests that the surface of the earth was ground down to its granite core. A new picture of this geology was found in the late 1950s when the bottoms of the oceans were first mapped. As far as I know, none of the Enlightenment geologists is considered correct today.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a transcript of a presentation by Mark Dever and his mentor Roy Clements (Dever was over there getting a PhD in Ecclesiastical History, he's since become an influential Southern Baptist minister)

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, is this the exact same quotation that you cited once before or is this another quotation?

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I added a brief summary and bolded the things relevant to this thread:

5. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precisely. For someone predisposed to it, developing it only for himself, or who isn’t logically savvy, your point works just fine. For those wary of such artificiality, and aware of past interpretive failures related to the earth’s status in the solar system, it works not at all. In other words, it is not the sort of thing to bring up as part of a debate, except perhaps for table banging.

However, much worse is rejecting the premise that there should be something to compare with. Not having even searched for such, sounds more than suspicious. And what if it turns out that the Hebrew grammatical forms in Genesis 1 do not really match those of the other occurrences supposedly supporting your point? Are you aware of that argument?

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know, Jerome, if you saw the movie Is Genesis History, but here is a clip showing the Great Unconformity in the Grand Canyon in Arizona.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. RLVaughn, you're right that Dever and Clements can't make much of a biblical defense of their position.
    I'd encourage everyone to listen to their whole presentation. There are other troubling things said. I found it in the audio teachings at monergism.com

Dever and Clements on Christians and Science (audio file)

#147 Jerome, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the clarification, Jerome. Appreciate it.

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as suspicions go, I suppose you either have not searched for it, or haven't found it, since you have failed to point out where it exists.
    Feel free to post up any arguments you have in favor of whatever is your view, which I don't think you have disclosed; maybe I have missed it.

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that it is safe to say that the SBC has a lot of old earthers, if not the majority. For example, one of the most influential theologians of our times, Norman Geisler, is old earth. People like Matt Walsh Matt Walsh is a writer, speaker, author, and one of the religious Right’s most influential young voices. who is called religious right but is RCC and considers all Protestantism as heresy is old earth and cannot even recapitulate the beliefs of YECs (Young Earth Creationists). Another Old Earther is Wayne Grudem. However, John MacArthur (Grace To You) may be a YEC--at least he went to Kentucky and seems to be a friend to Ken Ham.

11. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as I know, they do not exist, which is precisely why the point fails in reality
    My view is that the Bible does not focus on the age issue, and that we would do better to focus on those issues that have real traction when dealing with unbelievers. I had decided against it, but I think I will try to make that point a bit clearer or at least expand on it.

12. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keeping Deacon’s caveat (post #72) in mind, here are some points related to the text and to its interpretation:

Point 1: Neither the OT nor the NT makes an issue of the age of the earth or the universe.

Point 2: The ECF did not hold to a uniform doctrine of the age of the earth or the universe.

Point 3: Neither the Orthodox nor the Catholic Churches formulated an ‘age of earth’ doctrine.

Point 4: ‘Yom’ is versatile with more than one definition, even in the first chapter of Genesis.

Point 5: The seventh ‘yom’ was never closed in Genesis or anywhere in the Bible.

Point 6: The word ‘yom’ can mean a long, indefinite period of time.

Point 7: Events during at least some of the six ‘yom’ strongly imply more than 24 hours.

Point 8: “With the Lord, a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.”

Point 9: The six days can be understood to apply only to the later development of earth.

Point 10: Church leaders sided against Galileo with an interpretation now abandoned.

13. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    The lack of emphasis on the earth’s age in Scripture, and resultant lack of a doctrine among early Christians, coupled with the possibilities for ‘yom’ and an open seventh day set the stage. However, the failure of the church to do science right, due to worldly influence and faulty Bible interpretation, along with further philosophic confusion and resultant attacks on the Bible, created caution and some setbacks, but also served as valuable lessons.

Now, opportunity is greater than ever. With the advent of new scientific discoveries which clash with their cherished philosophical paradigm, the atheistic community has been on the defensive against an ever more obvious, all too recent creation event. Those who continue to resist are being forced into ever more bizarre metaphysical imaginings. Even if they cannot fully agree on it, if Christians would follow Scripture and cease emphasizing age, and instead focus on the much bigger picture of origins and the implications of a finite expanding universe, they might just make monumental headway in the debate, perhaps even reverse the cultural tendency toward relativism, humanism, and scientism.

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that you can show that the age issue is not addressed in Scripture. As far as I know the RCC is old earth although the church fathers were not. And I do have a close catholic friend who is YEC.

As for the science issue, the church did not change until the Enlightenment. And the recovery began after WW II when technology allowed for scientific mapping of the ocean floor. Blame poor American education for the fact that Americans are so far behind in science. Old earthers have lost the scientific debate. They have adopted Hindu doctrines so it is a spiritual problem in that they have been blinded by naturalism, perhaps the defining viewpoint of the baby boomers.

15. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This would need to be teased out a lot, but I find some agreement with you as you begin your first point -- if by "issue" you mean a cardinal doctrine and/or a point where believers begin to break fellowship. If someone simply believes the earth is older than I do, I have no issue with that. Several of my mentors in the ministry held the gap theory (and therefore an "old" earth), and, while I don't agree with that idea, I hold them in no less esteem because of that belief. If someone believes the world is here by evolution, even so-called theistic evolution, I do have a problem with that. If by "issue" you mean the Bible absolutely does not address it, I would not agree with that. If a simple historical reading of Genesis 1-11 is correct, then it is built in to what the Bible addresses about it.

16. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will comment on a couple more of these briefly.
    Yes, and it is telling that we are able to understand that it has more than one definition there.
    Yes, and it is interesting here that in this reference of how time relates to God (Psalm 90:4, 2 Peter 3:8) we have to understand it in terms of normal years and normal days for the statement to make sense. Day in these verses means an ordinary day, which allows the contrast in them. He is not saying “a 1000 years is as a long period of time and a long period of time is as a 1000 years,” but that 1000 X 360 days and 24 hours is of no real consequence to God, since he is outside of time.

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.