1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Wall enough?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You must learn English to become an American citizen and if then cannot speak a lick of English only a liberal fool would argue around that.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You already have your wish. To be eligible for naturalization, you must be "able to read, write, and speak basic English."

So now, what do you want?

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With my father in law, he spoke enough English to pass the citizenship test and interview. But, on a day to day basis, he spoke Russian. IOW, the English need for citizenship is not enough to carry on an extended conversation.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wenn du es sagst. *Lachen*

5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must use the language frequently enough to gain proficiency.

My grandfather spoke six languages (Bosnian, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Russian, and English) with a proficiency level high enough to conduct business transactions and negotiate contracts. He could get by in Italian and Greek, but didn't feel confident. My grandmother was competent in four languages (Italian, Bosnian, German, English).

My grandparents had heavy accents and occasionally unusual sentence construction and word choices, but they got along in the world just fine until people (who often spoke very poor English) got offended at their accent ("foreigners!") and their inability to quickly understand poor English grammar. I'm sure some of those people complained that my grandparents - when talking between themselves - were "yammering" in foreign languages.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Du bist nicht nett. :Laugh

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. It is like a muscle. It needs to be used to be strong.

8. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must say I am from Houston and everytime I hear the media lie about how many illegals are here I die a bit inside. It's probably 10x what they claim. We don't have city parks built anymore, we get soccer fields everywhere.

People not on the boarders have no idea what we deal with. We have the most private Er's in the world because ours are so overwhelmed with Hispanics. In five years my street went from 75% white to only us. It's like locust sweeping across crops in the fields. We are eroding our middle class at an alarming rate.

Any and every job that deals with the public requires you to be bilingual. That's great for all the second generation immigrants.

To all the fools who compare it to any other emigration that has occurred into the US have no idea what it's like to watch entire trades fall in mere years to the unrelenting waves of cheap labor. Plumbers to electricians and all the other construction trades that once employed hundreds of thousands of American workers are gone and so has the quality. To met the needs of all these millions of Hispanics just in the Houston area has given rise to the educated Hispanic that's displacing educated whites and they are now feeling the squeeze.

This is a major reason trump won.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where are you getting your information?

Soccer has been an up-and-coming sport for more than 30 years. That has little to do with "illegals."

Houston is not on the border, unless you count the Gulf of Mexico as a border. I'm quite familiar with Houston. I grew up about an hour from there and I'm in Houston at least four times a year.

"Hispanics" <> "illegals"

Since there are more Latino people in Texas than "white" people, that should be expected. The reason? Many Latino families are observant Roman Catholics and reproduce at much higher rates than "white" families. There's also the whole issue that Texas used to be part of Mexico and that many of the Latinos ancestors are more "native Texan" than the white people who complain about them.

(1) Neighborhoods change. That's life.
    (2) Why is it a problem?

My neighborhood in Fort Worth is quite culturally diverse and everyone gets along just fine.

Comparing Latinos/Hispanics to locusts concerns me. Locusts are destructive, Latinos/Hispanics are not inherently destructive. Moreover, they face the same issues that everyone else faces in terms of jobs. The erosion of the middle class has nothing to do with Hispanics.

Nope, not true.

A fair number of Latino/Hispanic people I know have to take Spanish classes to become competent.

So American workers can't compete against industrious, hard-working people? Sounds like you have union concerns

I work for a company that does construction. Quality is not dependent upon the ethnicity of the workers.

So they're smarter too?

Yes, fear of non-white people drove many to vote for Trump.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I bet with an attitude like that, your neighbors think of you as a weed.

11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can say that my bit of Northern Wisconsin has seen this trend. I think that it is generational, not because of illegal immigrants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was in Germany, my civilian secretary had a friend stop by for lunch in our office one day. Their entire conversation was in English. Later, I asked Mrs. Muller why they had not spoke in their native tongue of German.
    I love her answer - " Sgt, we did not want you to think we were talking about you."
    How I miss my very considerant German friends.

One other thing - the Germans think highly of Americians who at least attempt to learn German.
    This is the crux of the problem in the United States - these immigrants - legal or otherwise - many are NOT even attempting to learn English.

Likewise - IMHO - Americians should be learning at least one foreign language.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I lived in Houston all my life and agree 100%.....obviously the Disagrees don't.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I try to speak some Spanish words when they are only speaking Spanish like Bank of America and Subway and one woman was being snarky and said to me "are you trying to speak Spanish?". They can be rude and exclude for a reason.......racist LaRaza "the race".

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I move to a country or area I will learn one. That said while I was pastoring on the rez I spent two years learning Navajo.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I am only half white by the way. Its not a racial issue. Its a group of people with no ties to an area moving here and just taking taking, taking till nothing is left. You can act like what I am saying is not true, soccer is not a popular sport with Americans. You are full of crap, try going to any soccer field in Houston and seeing who is there playing. All of your points are absurd, how many are truly native to Texas? I'm sure all the illegals are taking classes to learn English psst. As a half white half black man I can tell you it was a lot of issues that drove people to vote for Trump, race was not one of them! Houston is not on the boarder, yet it is in a boarder region and attracts large amounts of Hispanics. Its like watching the problems the French, German and Dutch have with Muslims and yet they keep letting them in and act like nothing is wrong. If you don't live here or in a state with these problems you can sit back and lie and say everything is fine! There not taking my job, my city funds, my school did not cut my students music program to hire more ESL teachers (hours did btw).

So American workers can't compete against industrious, hard-working people? Sounds like you have union concerns

How dare you say this. We are getting our pay cut our benefits cut and loosing our insurance because there is a never ending flow of cheep labor. You don't have to compete with them do you? We do and we are in a licensed skilled trade. Our state enforcement agency is stretched beyond maximum because they have zero respect for our trade laws.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I need a list of cities and states with less catering to illegals.......Houston is a gone already.

18. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does say so, but it is impolite to laugh at him. :D:D:D:D:D

19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    See my response above. :D:D:D:D:D