1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The woman caught in adultery

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Jul 22, 2020.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The very title of this article is a sort of half-truth.[1] It is certainly the starting point of the story but the context and outworking point to a larger sin and judgment than that of this one woman. The men who cornered her and dragged her up to the Saviour (and where was the man?) wanted to make the story all about her and about the predicament they thought they would land the Teacher in. If He exonerated the woman He would go against Moses and the Scriptures He himself said could not be broken. If He agreed to her stoning then He placed himself in opposition to the Romans, who alone claimed the right to inflict capital punishment. They saw this as an easy win either way.

But Jesus surprised them with His answer. He wrote on the ground. Silent. This act puzzled them. It has also puzzled countless writers ever since. The translators of the KJV unhelpfully provide the gloss “as though He heard them not”. Other commentaries suggest various other guesses which are pointless to go into.

The point, I believe, is not what He wrote but that He wrote. This is where context comes in. Two passages are important to keep in mind. Just the day before Jesus had spoken of the “living water”. John 7:37-39. This is the first passage:

“On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.”

His hearers, especially those well-versed in the Scriptures – might very well have noted the connection with Jeremiah 17:13. Certainly the scribes and Pharisees should have known this passage:

“O Lord, the hope of Israel,
    all who forsake you shall be put to shame;
    those who turn away from you shall be written in the earth,
    for they have forsaken the Lord, the fountain of living water.”

Note the offense and the judgment. They forsake the Lord, the Living Water. John 7:39 shows that they are forsaking the Holy Spirit.[2]
    What is the judgment? They are “written in the earth“. (See also Jer. 17:1)

Their names are not written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. They are not written in Heaven. They are written in the earth.

I believe this is the point of Jesus stooping on the ground.

Notes

1. For those who think that this passage has a questionable provenance I suggest that they read a number of older commentaries. By far, the majority see this passage as not only inspired and from John, but also in the proper place. This is my view as well.

2. From John Gill’s Commentary:

“See Jer 17:13, “they that depart from me shall be written in the earth”. It could be that Christ was writing their names in the earth, thus fulfulling this prophecy in Jeremiah. They knew the Old Testament and this passage, and were convicted in their hearts. Editor.) … In vindication of which, he cited the passage in Ho 4:14; and this agrees with their own account of the times of the Messiah, and the signs thereof, among which stands this Deut 17:7″

More later.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People far more knowledgeable than me have concluded the passage may not be inspired, but no one I am aware of questions the validity of the teaching.

So if we sidestep the brackets, then does "scripture" tell us what Jesus wrote? No.

So it is an argument from silence to claim Jesus wrote (1) the names of the accusers, or (2) the sins of the accusers, or (3) the writing on the ground was an implicit reference to Jeremiah 17:13. But the possibility is very informative!

• Like Like x 1
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, I'm not going to argue with your biblical interpretation and thank you for bringing to light a scripture I have read many times but just felt Jesus was ignoring her accuser and was just writing on the ground... Knowing now the OT fulfillment of it in Jeremiah was fulfilled by Jesus in the NT... Its a comfort to see the types and shadows in scripture as well as the fulfillment of prophecy... The next time read the story I'll think of Jeremiah... After all the OT is the NT concealed and the NT is the OT revealed, just as Jesus revealed all those prophecies about himself to those on the road to Emmaus... Thanks for the insight Tom I look forward to more... Brother Glen:)

Btw... Are you familiar with the writings of A. W. Pink?

• Like Like x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Names are not written in God's book for the reason God told Mose, Exodus 32:33 per also Psalms 69:27-28. And the only way one's name remains in that book is to be born again, 1 John 5:4 - Revelation 3:5.

5. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. This is all part of the same reason.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...relentless and conniving the serpents were, and still are...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is why we need to be as wise as they are cunning.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretty obvious to me that this was the birth of the democrats!!!!!

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Glen. I used to read quite a bit of Pink before. I have learned much from him.

Somehow I missed this response, not seeing a red thingie in the upper corner. I would have responded sooner. In a day or two I hope to finish this post.

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hesitated but you just went ahead and said it! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The object was not justice. The object was to trap Jesus. Had justice been the object, 2 would have been there being stoned since she was "caught in the very act."

12. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said as much in my first paragraph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom already said that....

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was agreeing with what he said. Is it now illegal to say something twice on here?

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, that's what the lil' green check mark is for...

16. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not agree with the entire post. The little green check mark would have meant I did. If I find myself in need of help with the features of this board, I will ask someone other than you.

17. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I think about this passage I cannot help but think about other connections. The following applications I will not be dogmatic about, but I offer them for your consideration.

The Jews brought the woman to be judged but the judgment turned against them. Jerome and Ambrose both brought up the connections with Jer. 17:13 and 17:1.

The Jews in John 8 departed (just like those in the Jer. passage). They could have stayed and been forgiven. And I wonder if there is not a connection with here with Daniel 5. There the writing was on the wall of the palace in Babylon. Here it is on the Temple floor. Both are from the hand of God.

"He that is without sin, let him cast the first stone."

The only one without sin that day was the One who spoke this. Jesus, alone, had the right to cast the first stone, which He did not, of course. But about forty years later He did. The adulterous woman repented on that day and turned from her sin. But the adulterous men that day - most, if not all of them - went on in their adulterous ways spiritually speaking, at least.

And the sum total of that adulterous generation, Jerusalem (which becomes mystical Babylon) would in less than forty years face their judgment. Christ is the Rock that both strikes the base of that golden image in Daniel 2 and He is also the One who gives to Babylon (Jerusalem) what she deserves.This is the judgment of both the Beast and the False Prophet.

I think it is a fitting historical detail reported from Josephus about the adulterous city being stoned by the Roman ballistae, stones that weigh about one talent, as both Josephus and Revelation 13 report.

Therefore “Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you.”, 2 Cor. 6:17 (cf. Isa. 52:11)

"Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins or contract any of her plagues.", Rev. 18:4

Comments appreciated. Like I wrote, I am just offering these connections for consideration. I am clear in my mind that Jerusalem did indeed become spiritual Babylon.

About some of the other cross-references I am not as dogmatic on, but they seem reasonable.

• Useful Useful x 1