1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The word wine does not mean alcoholic always.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Another thing, when you say research and facts as they stand in 2017 what are you referring to? Biblical, Classical Greek, New Testament era, what?

2. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I want to make it clear that I am a non-drinker, not because the Bible condemns it, but because there are biblical principles that must be considered when using any liberty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I guess you noticed the latter portion of the above text? The question is what is "strong" drink as there were "mixed" alcoholic drinks. I think we all agree that drinking for the purpose of intoxication is wrong. I might point out that merely drinking wine is not being intoxicated or drunk. Drunkenness is defined by Paul in Ephesians 5:18 in his comparison of being filled with the Spirit. Drunkeness is when alchohol controls your thinking and body so that your body does not cooperate with your will or intentions. Being filled with the Spirit is where your thinking and body does not cooperate with the will or intentions of the law of indwelling sin but is under the control of the Spirit.

If merely drinking wine induced intoxication then the term "excess" is rendered meaningless.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are aware of the vast amount of papyrii and various other ancient works discovered since 1877, correct? Recent lexicons such as Friberg's Anlex, quoted above, include unfermented juice in their definitions.
    Try Matt. 9:17 and the parallel passages in Mark and Luke. There was no need for the authors to add "new" (meaning unfermented, obviously) if the oinos was always fermented. The oinos was put into the leather bottles before the fermentation proceeded.

In Is. 65:8 in the LXX, oinos is used to translate tirosh when referring to the juice while it is still in the grape. Now, unless someone can ferment oinos still in the grape, the oinos reference is to grape juice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It really doesn't matter. 1877 is out of date in the scholarly world, period. It's out of date in my own thinking, just as William Patton's book is (1872). If one of my students did a paper on the subject and used either book as a source, I would count off just as I would for Wikipedia as a source.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet it is still negative towards wine, which was the only point I was making.
    This begs the question of at what point intoxication occurs. I never drink a single drop, therefore I don't have to worry about being intoxicated at any level. :D Love my grape juice every morning, though.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has the chemical basis for CO2. Sugar. C6-H12-O6. As the sugar changes to alcohol (C2H5OH) the excess CO2 (C+O+O) is given off as a gas. And, of course, that is what bursts the old wine skins.

But you already know that and were just having fun with the food fight motif! :D:D:D

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Afraid of the arguments in the book?

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, hupostasis Kittel's Volume VIII, pgs. 572-589.

Medical and Scientific usage (before it took on philosophical usage pgs. 572-574). Used almost eclusively in medicine and science - of sediment of bodily fluid (from kidneys) in the sense of making a determination of one's health, i.e. the hupostasis of one's health. In science e.g. the product of smelting and processing ore and reducing the materials e.g. silver ore, to pure silver, the finished product the essence of silver or silver in its pure state. The hupostasis of silver. Of wine or grape juice - the reduction of the fluid to a sedimentary form or paste, it's essence.

In philosophical usage, the Hellenistic view of the essential derivative of the reality of an entity.
    e.g. Pure silver (arguros) is the derived reality of silver ore (luna).

The emanation of (a) sunbeam from (the) sun. Augustine (De Trinitat, libri xv).
    http://mb-soft.com/believe/txue/august40.htm

I couldn't find the more detailed descriptions of the grape paste usage but I definitely remember reading about it.

In NT usage:

Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness (apaugasma) of his glory, and the express image of his person (hupostaseos), and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Brightness apaugasma

3a Jesus is the light (shekinah?) of God's glory.

Interesting comparison of Hebrews 1:3 with Wisdom 7:26 (Apocrypha-1611 King James, also LXX):

Wisdom 7:26 For she is the brightness (LXX-apaugasma) of eternal light, and the unspotted mirror of God's majesty, and the image of his goodness.

Hmm interesting, no? What do you think John?

HankD

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for this post. I really had a good laugh at this one. Made my day.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I'm afraid of Gentry just like I'm afraid of your other hero, Ray Comfort. :D

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you must admit a food fight with exploding grapes would be awesome! :Laugh

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great stuff. Thank you!

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can't even address the scriptures that he quotes and arguments but instead turn to post a pic!

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another post good for a laugh. He hasn't quoted any Scriptures here on the BB, so how could I possibly address them?

Tell you what, you buy me the book and I'll read it and critique it, even though he is a former Baptist who went all the way to bankrupt Presbyterianism and partial preterism (how absurd!).

• Like Like x 1
  17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's juvenile and absurdity upon absurdity.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what if his eschatology I am talking about his view on alcohol.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just pointing out his unreliability and illogical progression of thought.

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I thought this is the type of texts I would be reading. Do you know why a press is called a "wine" press? Not because it presses wine but because its design is to produce wine which starts with pressing fresh grapes. This is common language used for grapes or putting juice in bags as the intent is fermented wine.

This is common in classical Greek and this is the kind of abuse of language I referred. Please read Wilsom's book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.