1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theistic evolution or non-theistic evolution

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by Robert H, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evolution and genesis cannot co exist, as one is wrong, and I would favor the inspited scriptures views over those who refuse to acknowledge a Creator!

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theistic evolution would deny the historical adam/eve, the Fall as lietral, and would deny that God created all things directly...
    Mankind end result of a long process...

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hence the problem with science.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I disagree but you are welcome to that opinion.

I join you in that view. It just happens to be that neither the originator of evolution or the Big Bang fall under that second category. Nor myself and many others in scientific fields who subscribe to evolution or the Big Bang.

#44 Gold Dragon, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The purpose in evolution and the big bang is to show there is no God. Atheist scientists mock and ridicule Christians who believe in evolution and a god.

6. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I subscribe to theistic evolution and I would say none of this describes my position.

7. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The direct quotes of the originators of evolution and the Big Bang that I referenced earlier state otherwise.

Some atheist scientists and non scientists do. Most atheist/agnostic scientists while they don't believe, do not see any conflict between evolution and a belief in God.

Talk Origins: God and Evolution

PBS: Evolution FAQ

#47 Gold Dragon, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  8. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's funny because it's almost like you feel that science is just this one solitary entity. Like everybody just works in a big ole science building and that your statement can address them all. It's so ridiculous and such an unintelligent generalization of an ideology spanning thousands of different concepts all over the world.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what "proof" is there that apart from God, there can be created energy/matter from nothing, and how did life originate, and what species actually changed from one into a new one then over time?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Scriptures stated that God created all things after their own kind, so where would be need for evolution as Darwin saw it?
    And again, when and where was that species change in fossil record?

11. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not interested in convincing you about the validity of evolution. I have been down this fruitless rabbit hole more times than I care to remember. You do not believe in evolution and you believe in young earth creationism. That is wonderful. I believe differently on both those things because of my study of both creation and the scriptures. Let's agree to disagree on those issues.

But please do not misrepresent what I, Darwin and lemaitre believe(d) about God or the Bible simply because of that disagreement.

If you really want to understand evolution and different ways of interpreting Genesis other than young earth creationism, there are countless resources on the web about this.

The talk origins FAQ is an old faithful

See this post for more of my view on this.

#51 Gold Dragon, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not advocating young earth though, as believe that question on Age is something within the church to disagree/discuss, but again, per evolution, how did life originate, and what species changed from one kind to another kind in history?

13. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm glad we can agree on this

If you are really interested in the science, evolution is silent on the question of the origin of life. Evolution deals with the origin of species or how new genetic diversity and new species come about. Abiogenesis is the field trying to understand how life may have begun. This field is pure speculation as we have no data to support or refute any of the existing models. But even if there were a well supported model of abiogenesis, that does not rule out that model was the mechanism that God may have used to create life. Because no scientific model we have can confirm or deny that God was behind that process, including random processes.

Consider rolling dice or in biblical times, drawing lots. Our understanding is that the probability of outcomes is random. Does that mean that God was not behind the outcome in any given instance? This is something we cannot scientifically prove or deny. But by faith in God's holy inspired scriptures, we believe that God was behind the lots drawn to identify Jonah as the cause of the storm.

This is a question of terminology and understanding the actual concepts of evolution. Species don't change from one to another. New species form when populations are separated over long periods of time and adapt to different environments to an extent where the two populations are no longer the same species. Most folks who don't believe in evolution call this microevolution. The thing is that there is no scientific distinction between micro and macro evolution. That is purely an arbitrary distinction made by opponents of evolution to say "this type of evolution we see and we agree with but that type we do not." Using the micro and macro terms, macro evolution occurs when micro evolution happens for long periods of time. There isn't a different mechanism for macro evolution.

We have plenty of documented evidence of directly observed "micro" evolution because that takes a shorter period of time. We don't have directly observed "macroevolution" because that takes observations that are longer than the proposed existence of our own species. For that we depend on indirect fossil evidence.

#53 Gold Dragon, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  14. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb are you actually arguing that was a problem because it did not explain salvation or creation?

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    silly is as silly does

16. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly.

17. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With you as the expert? That's the generally accepted scientific view.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again , there are NO fossils known to have shown change in kind/species, nor anyhting seen and observed...

Why would God do that, since it stated that he created all things after their own kind?
    And why would he use it to make an Adam and eve, as they were both direct and special creations by God?

19. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again I have no interest in convincing you of the validity of evolution if you have no interest in learning.

Let's just agree to disagree.

When you are interested in finding out about what evolution and theistic evolution actually says, feel free to ask me.

#59 Gold Dragon, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just was asking what evidence is there for a species changing to another kind? Far as I know, there is zero!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.