1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theodosia Ernest

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Jan 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today, for the first time I noticed that the full name of my wife's paternal great-grandmother was Theodosia Ernest Propes. That made me think of the following book, and that she was probably named after the heroine. Theodosia Ernest: or, The Heroine of Faith is not a history book, but it is an interesting and important piece of Baptist history.

Or a different format, if you prefer:
    Theodosia Ernest: or, The Heroine of Faith

Theodosia Ernest was written by Amos Cooper Dayton, who was born in 1813 at Plainfield, New Jersey. He died June 11, 1865, and is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery, Houston County, Georgia. He was raised Presbyterian, and is supposed to have written the book the year he converted to the Baptist faith, 1852. He puts forth an argument and defense for immersion baptism through this work of fiction.

The Georgia Baptist Historical Commission calls Theodosia Ernest the "1st Southern Baptist Novel" on the marker they erected at his gravesite.