This Guy: Mark Keith Robinson

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Benjamin, Apr 17, 2018.

1. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please do not misrepresent us. Nobody in this thread advocates violence. All of us would, if possible, avoid it. Sometimes it is not possible without approving of and even being complicit in the murder of the innocent.

Please, do not buy a gun. Judging from what you have posted in this thread I have concluded that you are far to emotionally unstable to be trusted with a firearm. For your own sake, and the sake of others, don't buy a firearm.

That is pure blasphemy.

2. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you think that the murderer who kills your unsaved loved on and sends that loved one to hell is the Lord? Or at least the Lord's servant?

3. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must show from scripture Jesus telling you to do what you are doing, before you can say you follow him in these matters. I have ample scripture supporting what I say. But I have yet to hear any scripture support for you and others who advocate violence.

4. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Naa, you have made incorrect claims of scripture, you have engaged in eisegesis, and you have divorced the passages you are trying to use to support your presupposition from their contexts. On this forum you are going to have to do better than that.

5. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one advocates violence. That statement is a characterization which is pejorative in nature. What we advocate is self defense.

6. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you do not understand what that means.

7. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, Christians in the NT never used violence to defend themselves. Many died rather than doing so.

8. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As an 8th degree black belt, I know many ways of stopping an intruder without killing him or her. I won't take time to delineate those ways here.

The problem is that you seem to be opposing all violence against all evil people by anyone other than the police. If that is what you are saying, then you must be against Christ Himself, who twice violently ejected evil men from the temple with a homemade weapon. This is called the "cleansing of the temple." Surely you know about these passages and must admit that Christ then used violence against evil men.

9. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12:19–21) (KJV 1900)

10. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you continue to misrepresent others position I am out. Good luck with your eisegesis.

11. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will repeat what I said, you apparently do not understand what this means.

12. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was fulfilling scripture when he drove the cattle and merchants from the temple. But he did not harm anyone. I'm only saying we have no examples of Christians using violence to defend themselves instead of turning the other cheek.

13. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you had scripture to support your views, you would have used it by now and the discussion would have ended a long time ago.

14. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Vengeance" is defined in the Cambridge online dictionary as "action against someone to punish that person for having hurt you," (vengeance Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary)

On the other hand, in the same source, "self defence" is defined as:
    "protection of yourself, either by fighting or discussion:"
    He used the gun in self-defence.
    In self-defence, I have to say that I only did what you asked me to do.
    skill of fighting without weapons to protect yourself."

The meaning you are giving "vengeance" is mistaken. In self defence, I am stopping someone from hurting me, not getting back at someone for hurting me.

15. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, please do not post falsehoods on the Baptist Board. You have already been told that none of us advocate violence.

I suggest you read the Baptist Board posting rules. They can be found at Terms of Service and Rules | Baptist Christian Forums

16. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How else can you take it?

17. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did use violence, did He not? And how do you know He did not harm anyone. The text does not say.

So if Jesus used violence to eject wicked men from the Father's house (and thus His own house), how is it wrong if I use violence to stop someone from acting wickedly in my own house? Simply the fact that He was fulfilling Scripture does not mean that I cannot imitate Him in this matter.

18. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want to drive the money changers out of quite a few churches, that would be great.

19. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two theological reasons for self defense that have not yet been mentioned on this thread.

1. Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. To allow an evil person to violate a saved person in my family (a wife or daughter), or commit violence against my own person, is allowing someone to defile the holy temple of God.
    2. We are all made in the image of God. What is wrong with murder is that it is violating the image of God in the person of a human being (Gen. 9:6). That is definitely something that should be stopped if it is in my power to do so.

20. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. You have avoided my point, which is that Christ used violence, which you oppose.
    2. A modern church house (which is not a Biblical church) is not analogous to the Jewish temple. Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, and are thus worth defending as Jesus defended the temple of God with violence.