1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Three days and three nights

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rstrats, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I probably should have addressed the OP to those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who try to get around Matthew 12:40 by saying that it is using common Jewish idiomatic language where 3 nights actually means 2 nights.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I suppose you mean <disfunctional> topic or subject.

Well, <<if Jesus were buried Thursday, Friday, and Saturday instead of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday>> it would be equally gross ignorance or lies and therefore most definitely would <<change the nature of our salvation>>.

3. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since it's been awhile, someone new looking in my know of some writing.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Strats, it has been YEARS now that you are searching for <<some writing>> no one knows which.

I ask you, is the ONLY <writing>, the Scriptures, not good enough for whatever you are looking for?

5. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gerhard Ebersoehn,

re: "I ask you, is the ONLY <writing>, the Scriptures, not good enough for whatever you are looking for?"

Scripture will be fine. And I say in the OP what I am looking for.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Strats:

<<<Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a "discussion" with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase "x" days and "x"nights was ever used in the first century or before when it didn’t include at least parts of the "x" days and at least parts of the "x" nights?>>>

No, I am sorry but I cannot fathom what you mean or what you ask. No, I'm just too weak-minded, I admit.

All, the Scriptures, are clear about, is that Christ was NOT crucified but BURIED the <6th day>.

<<The three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40>> most definitely is NOT <<a Jewish idiom>> but it is the "three days" "the third day according to the Scriptures" of which, was the day that "Christ rose from the dead" on.

The “three days and three nights” "included" the God-given and therefore eschatological imperative WHOLE AND WHOLENESS [Lohmeyer] of the "THREE days thick darkness" of "the plague (that) was upon Him" in "Suffering-Passover-of-Yahweh" and “death-exceeding sorrowfulness of soul”.

7. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gerhard Ebersoehn,

re: "...I am sorry but I cannot fathom what you mean or what you ask."

I clarified the OP in post #36.

re: "All, the Scriptures, are clear about, is that Christ was NOT crucified...the <6th day>."

I said in post #41 that the OP should have been addressed to 6th day of the week crucifixion proponents.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

True enough. But if the "truth" for a culture is to count any part of a day as being inclusive of a fixed set of days, then that would be the simplest expression for that culture, would it not?

Example: "I will pay you five sheckles to deliver 20 ephods of wheat in three days," saying this at noon today and meaning that, because his culture counts today as the first day, he is expecting his wheat on Tuesday anytime after sunrise.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I don't understand -- after decades and decades of attempting -- what 'inclusive reckoning' has to do with the 'God-given and therefore eschatological imperative whole and wholeness' [Lohmeyer's words] of Christ's "three days" of "three days and three nights", "on the third day" of which, He, "according to the Scriptures, ROSE FROM THE DEAD" again!???

#49 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  10. thisnumbersdisconnected

Calm down, no need to shout.

Now ... have you considered the need for Jesus to have spoken in a manner that the people to whom He brought the message could understand within the mores and syntax of their culture? The Bible wasn't written specifically to the 21st Century believer, his/her culture, socioeconomic perspective, or understanding. Fortunately it translates well to our overall understanding, but the Bible was written to First Century man/woman. It is to that culture, socioeconomic perspective and understanding the words and syntax had the most accurate meaning.

We witness the truth of this through the debates over First Century idioms and thought clusters that don't translate quite as well as others. Therefore, we debate "three days and three nights" from our perspective, when it was clearly written to the First Century perspective and their understanding of a partial day as being included in a statement of any quantity of days that is set apart as to specifics by a cardinal number.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This &$^*( again, huh? Do you deny Matthew 20:19 where Jesus said he will be raised up on the third day?

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets say today is Sunday , July 1st. - and you say I will see you next Sat. Do you mean Sat, July 6th or July 13?

13. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alcott,

re: "Do you deny Matthew 20:19 where Jesus said he will be raised up on the third day?"

To whom is you post directed?

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

Not the same thing, but I will see you on July 6th.

But, for proof of how the Jewish people counted "today" as the first of three days, when using the phrase "three days and three nights," I give you this:
    Luke 13, NASB
    32 And He said to them, "Go and tell that fox, 'Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I reach My goal.' ​
    Note, in this statement, Jesus said He would do these miracles "today and tomorrow," and then counted the day after tomorrow as "the third day."

Seems pretty definitive to me. But there is more proof of the historical use of today as part of a three-day time period. Emphasis is added.
    Exodus 19
    10 The LORD also said to Moses, "Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow, and let them wash their garments;
    11 and let them be ready for the third day, for on the third day the LORD will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people. ​
    The culture counted part of "today" as the first of any number of days they named. That is fact that cannot be denied.

#54 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody, including you.

16. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alcott,

re: "Anybody, including you."

OK, thanks.

re: "Do you deny Matthew 20:19 where Jesus said he will be raised up on the third day?"

No, I do not deny that Matthew 20:19 has the Messiah saying that He will be raised up on the third day. What is you point insofar as it is responsive to my request in the OP?

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That if he was not raised for "3 days and 3 nights," it was then the 4th day (or later) that he was raised, not "ON the third day."

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

"I deliver unto you WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT which I also received ;

How that Christ :

1)
    DIED for our sins …
    “according to the SCRIPTURES ...
    "the very first day ye shall REMOVE leaven [of life] …
    "ye shall CUT / REAP the corners of the land …
    "LIFT UP …
    “BRING First Sheaf …
    "ye shall KILL the passover …
    “on the fourteenth day of the First Month”;

"How that Christ :

2)
    “was BURIED ...
    “according to the SCRIPTURES ...
    "THE FIRST NIGHT …
    "seven days unleavened bread ye shall EAT …
    "that which remain …
    “the next day ye shall burn with fire …
    "THAT DAY …
    "THE WHOLE-DAY-BONE-DAY …
    “the fifteenth day of the First Month”;

"How that Christ :

3)
    ROSE again
    “according to the SCRIPTURES …
    THE THIRD DAY
    “RESTED UP AGAIN HIS NAME :
    “MOST HOLY PLACE …
    “THE SANCTUARY ...
    “CLEANSED …
    FIRST SHEAF OFFERING WAVED BEFORE THE LORD
    “on the sixteenth day of the First Month”.

#58 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  19. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gerhard Ebersoehn,

re: Your post #58.

And your point would be as it pertains to the request in the OP?

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I told you I don't understand your OP.

But I think I understand the "three days", being MEANT to be understood; it is not in the Word for nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.