1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Three days and three nights

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rstrats, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thisnumbersdisconnected,

re: "The answer you're looking for is plainly represented in post #71."

I addressed your post #71 in my posts #72 and #73. Nowhere in your post #71 did you provide any writing that specified a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights when they absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights. It simply isn't there.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

So in other words, no matter how much proof is provided, and no matter how much it is shown that "three days and three nights" is of interchangeable usage with any other form of "three days," you won't believe it. You won't believe it despite such evidence as:
    Luke 21, NASB
    21 "But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, it is the third day since these things happened [Emphasis added].​
    Note that "it is the third day," late in the afternoon, and Jesus is already walking on the road to Emmaus with Cleopas and his friend. "It is the third day" and He is resurrected! How much more evidence do you need? But, even that, you will not believe.

Even with passages such as Matt. 16:21; 17:23; 20:19; Luke 24:7, 21, 46; 1 Cor. 15:4, all of which say "on the third day He will raised." It is OBVIOUS that "three days and three nights" is interchangeable -- i.e., means the same thing -- as "on the third day," "after three days," "in three days," etc. But you don't want to believe it.

Fine. Thanks for sharing that. Now I don't have to continue posting to this thread.

#82 thisnumbersdisconnected, May 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2014
  3. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thisnumbersdisconnected,

re: "So in other words, no matter how much proof is provided..."

You have not provided any proof that Matthew 12:40 is using common idiomatic language of the first century.

Matthew 12:40 has the Messiah saying that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 nights. The 6th day of the week crucifixion advocates say that He is using common idiomatic language where 3 nights actually means 2 nights. If it's a common idiom, you'd think that there would be at least one example where that absolutely had to be the case. That's what I'm looking for and so far you haven't provided any proof of that.

re: "... and no matter how much it is shown that 'three days and three nights' is of interchangeable usage with any other form of 'three days,' you won't believe it."

I'm fine with that, as long as the "three days" include 3 nights as the Messiah said they would. So if "three days" is interchangeable with "three days and three nights" that means that "three days" has to involve three daytimes and three night times.

re: "You won't believe it despite such evidence as:*Luke 21*, NASB"

I assume you mean Luke 24:21 which indicates that the crucifixion could not have taken place any later than the 5th day of the week.

re: "*'It is the third day'* and He is resurrected! How much more evidence do you need? But, even that, you will not believe."

I would ask you to quote where I've said that the Messiah wasn't resurrected on the 3rd day.

#83 rstrats, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Utter nonsense. I've repeatedly shown that it was so not just in the New Testament, but throughout the Old Testament. Both Exodus 19:10 and Luke 13:32 absolutely prove the use of the phrase to mean portions of days as being among the count of days. The litany of verses I gave you proving that Jesus "would arise on the third day" is incontrovertible. They are not trumped by a couple uses of "three days and three nights," particularly in light of the fact that both phrases are used to describe the exact same future event.

Yet in arrogance you simply don't want to accept the truth. You nitpick everything to death to no end nor for apparent reason other than argument's sake. Done here, done with you. God bless.

#84 thisnumbersdisconnected, May 20, 2014
  5. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thisnumbersdisconnected,

OK, it's apparent that you don't know of any writing as requested in the OP. Perhaps someone new looking in will know of some.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given it but the sign of Jonah the prophet:
    40 for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Mt 12

Rstrats, I think most likely the documentation you seek doesn't exist. While straining out gnats and splitting hairs over ‘three days and three nights’ you (and others) may be overlooking the real gist of this passage, which was simply ‘the sign of Jonah the prophet to that particular evil and adulterous generation’ that murdered Christ.

The Jews judged Him to be worthy of death, but God judged righteously and annulled their judgment by raising Him from the dead. Take note of the redundancy of the message from the Comforter in convicting that generation of Jews of the crime; YOU KILLED HIM, BUT GOD RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD:

Acts 2:
    4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance
    14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and spake forth unto them, saying, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and give ear unto my words.
    22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God unto you by mighty works and wonders and signs which God did by him in the midst of you, even as ye yourselves know;
    23 him, being delivered up by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye by the hand of lawless men did crucify and slay:
    24 whom God raised up, having loosed the pangs of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
    36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know assuredly, that God hath made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom ye crucified.
    40 And with many other words he testified, and exhorted them, saying, Save yourselves from this crooked generation.

Acts 3:
    12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this man? or why fasten ye your eyes on us, as though by our own power or godliness we had made him to walk?
    13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Servant Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied before the face of Pilate, when he had determined to release him.14 But ye denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted unto you,
    15 and killed the Prince of life; whom God raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
    23 And it shall be, that every soul that shall not hearken to that prophet, shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.

Acts 4:
    8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders,
    9 if we this day are examined concerning a good deed done to an impotent man, by what means this man is made whole;
    10 be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even in him doth this man stand here before you whole.

Acts 5:
    27 And when they had brought them, they set them before the council. And the high priest asked them,
    28 saying, We strictly charged you not to teach in this name: and behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and intend to bring this man`s blood upon us.
    29 But Peter and the apostles answered and said, We must obey God rather than men.
    30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew, hanging him on a tree.
    31 Him did God exalt with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, to give repentance to Israel, and remission of sins.
    32 And we are witnesses of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Acts 7:
    51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Spirit: as your fathers did, so do ye.
    52 Which of the prophets did not your fathers persecute? and they killed them that showed before of the coming of the Righteous One; of whom ye have now become betrayers and murderers;
    53 ye who received the law as it was ordained by angels, and kept it not.
    55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
    56 and said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing on the right hand of God. Acts 7

Acts 10:
    39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the country of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom also they slew, hanging him on a tree.
    40 Him God raised up the third day, and gave him to be made manifest,
    41 not to all the people, but unto witnesses that were chosen before of God, even to us, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.
    42 And he charged us to preach unto the people, and to testify that this is he who is ordained of God to be the Judge of the living and the dead.

Acts 13:
    16 And Paul stood up, and beckoning with the hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, hearken:
    27 For they that dwell in Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath, fulfilled them by condemning him.
    28 And though they found no cause of death in him, yet asked they of Pilate that he should be slain.
    29 And when they had fulfilled all things that were written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a tomb.
    30 But God raised him from the dead:
    31 and he was seen for many days of them that came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are now his witnesses unto the people

#86 kyredneck, May 20, 2014
  7. thisnumbersdisconnected

[​IMG]

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Mt 12:40

These "for as/so shall" passages are clear, invaluable pointers given us to the rich types & allegories found in scripture. Look at Jonah 2 as in the same vein as a Messianic Psalm:

1 Then Jonah prayed unto Jehovah his God out of the fish`s belly.
    2 And he said, I called by reason of mine affliction unto Jehovah, And he answered me; Out of the belly of Sheol cried I, And thou heardest my voice.
    3 For thou didst cast me into the depth, in the heart of the seas, And the flood was round about me; All thy waves and thy billows passed over me.
    4 And I said, I am cast out from before thine eyes; Yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.
    5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul; The deep was round about me; The weeds were wrapped about my head.
    6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; The earth with its bars closed upon me for ever: Yet hast thou brought up my life from the pit, O Jehovah my God.
    7 When my soul fainted within me, I remembered Jehovah; And my prayer came in unto thee, into thy holy temple.
    8 They that regard lying vanities Forsake their own mercy.
    9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that which I have vowed. Salvation is of Jehovah.
    10 And Jehovah spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land. Jonah 2

#88 kyredneck, May 20, 2014
  9. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    kyredneck,

re: "... I think most likely the documentation you seek doesn't exist."

I think you may be right. I've asked the question on a number of forums and have yet to receive any examples.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Disconnected, do you honestly believe everyone is also disconnected like you are?

Buddy, there are people walking around who are connected still.

Do you really believe Luke 24:21b "TODAY" -- that was "on the First Day of the week", 'Sunday' -- which was "the third day SINCE / AFTER / AWAY FROM these things were done" -- "SINCE these things" : "SINCE the rulers DELIVERED Him and CRUCIFIED Him" -- was 'THE third day according to the Scriptures Christ ROSE from the dead" on?!

Then you are disconnected for sooth!!!!

Because "on the First Day of the week—TODAY” -- 'Sunday' – was in fact "the third day SINCE / AFTER / AWAY FROM = DISCONNECTED FROM these things happened"—"these things", namely, “how the rulers DELIVERED Him and CRUCIFIED Him".

Sunday was the third day SINCE they crucified Him and He had died;

Saturday was the second day SINCE they crucified Him and He had died;

Friday was the first day SINCE they crucified Him and He had died;

Thursday was the day THAT they crucified Him and He had died ON.

THEREFORE Luke 24:21b implies that Jesus

DIED on the Fifth Day of the week -- 'Thursday'; was

BURIED on the Sixth Day of the week -- "The Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath" -- 'Friday'; and

ROSE from the dead:- quote: “ON THE SABBATHMatthew 28:1.

#90 Gerhard Ebersoehn, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to stay away from childish language making fun of someones user name. Time for some adult conversation.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

"The LORD said unto My LORD...":
    "The LORD hath torn, and He will heal; the LORD hath smitten, and He will bind up.
    After two days the LORD will REVIVE : IN THE THIRD DAY THE LORD WILL RAISE UP AND LIVE IN HIS LIGHT."

Hosea 6:1-2

"Then shall we know it if we follow and strive TO KNOW THE LORD", verse 3.

True knowledge and understanding of the LORD and of the LORD'S ways -- of "HIS GOING FORTH" and "COMING unto us" -- is to know and understand both the LORD and the 'three days'. The one cannot and may not oppose the other.

People who belittle any aspect or feature of the Revelation of God in Christ as <<nit-picking>> ARE TOO FULL OF THEMSELVES TO TAKE IN ANYTHING OF GOD.

#92 Gerhard Ebersoehn, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

The reverend Rev Mitchell [-not rugby's],

All you could find reverend enough to comment on, was a bit of fun. but this,

too ridiculous for reverent respect.

That is how and why the THREE DAYS OF THE LORD never will receive due reverence or honour, but to the Church of Christ [supposed to be] will remain a STONE OF STUMBLING instead of CRUSHING heads of gold with feet of clay.

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

Well, guess I've been put in my place. Heavens, such large letters and forceful language, coupled with not-so-clever puns on my member name, will always convince me I'm wrong.

[/sarcasm]

I'll just say, "Have a nice life. God bless."

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Besides large letters, what else have you found offensive or just plain wrong or not Scriptural?

By the way, I heard the NT was first written in capital letters. No wonder it is so convincing.

16. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since it has again been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who thinks that Matthew 12:40 is using common first century idiomatic language will know of some writing.

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matthew 12:40 uses NO <<idiomatic language>>

Matthew 12:40 uses figurative language in one phrase only, "in the HEART OF THE EARTH".

The phrase "three days and three nights" is literal language.

18. targus

targus New Member

If the phrase "three days and three nights" means three 12 hour periods of day and three 12 hour periods of night...

And Jesus was buried shortly before sunset...

Then it follow that Jesus would have to have risen shortly before sunset.

Is that what Scripture tells us?

No.

So it follows that "three days and three nights" does not mean three 12 hour periods of day and three 12 hour periods of night and the OP request becomes meaningless.

19. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    targus,

re: "So it follows that 'three days and three nights' does not mean three 12 hour periods of day and three 12 hour periods of night and the OP request becomes meaningless."

You've misread the OP. It is not asking for three 12 hour periods of day and three 12 hour periods of night.

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Re:
    <<<If the phrase "three days and three nights" means three 12 hour periods of day and three 12 hour periods of night...>>>

Except when Jesus entered into his Father’s Kingdom and onto its battlefield the kingdom of darkness, He never spoke of ‘hours’ with reference to the “three days” He several times referred to.

Re:
    <<<Jesus was buried shortly before sunset>>>

Joseph finished to bury the body of Jesus “by the time of the Jews’ preparations to begin” John 19:42—that was, “mid-afternoon the Sabbath nearing” Luke 23:54.

“Mid-afternoon” is THREE HOURS BEFORE <sunset>; not, <<<shortly before sunset>>>.
    “Joseph arrived” Luke 23:20 and had to wait till the Jews had finished their talks with Pilate John 19:38, “evening having already begun” Mark 15:42 Matthew 27:57, 21 hours before he finally had closed the grave, 3 p.m.!

<<<Is that what Scripture tells us?>>>

Not <<No>>; but most literally, certainly, exactly, unambiguous and clearly, YES!!!

Nevertheless, you are correct that it follows that "three days and three nights" do not ARBITRARILY <<<mean three 12 hour periods of day and three 12 hour periods of night>>> but THE “three days” of “three days thick darkness” of “the plague” that “was upon HIM”— the last two plagues of the Passover-of-Yahweh.

The “three days and three nights” of the prophet Jonah were the “three days and three nights” of _no other_ ‘days’ or part of days. They were THE “three days and three nights” of the God-given and therefore IMPERATIVE eschatological whole and wholeness of THE “three days”—, “on the third day” of which, “God … ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES … RAISED CHRIST FROM THE DEAD ON.” 1Corinthians 15:3,4.

#100 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.