1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Three days and three nights

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rstrats, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have no problem with your statement

But Bible translators of today do have a problem with it. They believe in translating the Scriptures as should it have been written in the idiom of modern man and according to his understanding of the world.

Best example is the 'translation' of Scripture passages to show Jesus' death and burial were on the same day of 'Friday' and his resurrection was on 'Sunday' because 'that's what everybody knows'.

Which the translators THINK they have accomplished to perfection.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Jews used a lunar calendar to determine the exact times of their feast days.

The only year that even comes close to the bible account of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ is 31 AD. In 31 AD the preparation day (John 19:31 & 42) for the feast of the Passover was on Wednesday. The following day was a special High Sabbath, the first day of Passover (John 19:31 cf Leviticus 23:6 & 7).

The first day of Passover was always a special high Sabbath regardless of what day of the week it fell on (Leviticus 23:6 & 7). The first day of Passover was on 15th day of the month of Nisan (sometimes called Abib) and corresponds to our March-April.

The 15th of Nisan, in 31 AD fell on a Thursday, for the Sabbath that was looming at sundown Wednesday was not the weekly Sabbath, but the special high Sabbath, the first day of Passover.

On Friday the ladies went shopping - to buy the spices for the "embalming" process, rested on the regular Sabbath, Saturday, and got to the grave "as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week" or just before sun up on Sunday, and the tomb was already empty!

Wednesday sundown through Saturday sundown, 3 days and 3 nights in the grave, and arose after sundown on what we call Saturday, but what a Jew would call the first day of the week, or Sunday. Three days and three nights in the tomb (Matthew 12:40).

The Jews calculated the beginning and ending of a day differently, even among themselves.

From the writings of Josephus, the Mishna, and other historic Jewish source literature we learn that the Jews of northern Palestine calculated days from sunrise to sunrise. That, of course, included Galilee where Jesus and the disciples had grown up.

The Pharisees, on the other hand, and those from southern Palestine (Benjamin and Judah), used the sunset to sunset means of determining when a day began.

Now we know from our knowledge of geography that Jerusalem is in the south. This had the practical effect of the people gathered in Jerusalem from
    all over Palestine, to celebrate Passover on two adjoining days and also allowing the temple sacrifices to be made over a four hour period rather than just two, and helped to keep the northern people separate from the southern and thus avoiding regional and other types of clashes between the two very different peoples. (Remember the southern Jews disdain for northern Jews, "Can any good thing come out of Galilee?")

So, it is simple to see that Jesus and the disciples considered Passover (the preparation day) to have started at sunrise and to have ended at sunrise the next day! The southern Jews, however, considered the preparation day to begin at sundown. Therefore, by God's Sovereign design, Jesus could celebrate the Passover with the disciples, and still be taken for sacrifice at the very time the southern Jews were sacrificing their lambs.

It is obvious that when He ate the meal with the disciples, it was purposely done early so they could enjoy that one last time of fellowship, the Lord's Supper could be instituted (the Lord's Supper is NOT a Passover Seder, if it were it would only be done ONCE per year, not "as oft as ye do it) Judas could be identified, etc.

3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Hi Dr. Cassidy,

It is a great pleasure to read your article here.

I recall Sir Robert Anderson calcualted the 173,880 days since the building of Castle of Jerusalem, resulting in the day when the Messiah is cut off ( Dan 9:27) around April 10-14, 32AD.

These days, I read Mark 16:9 which may be considered as the only phrase where the time of resurrection is mentioned, and find it doesn't say about the time of resurrection, but the time of discovery of risen savior or when Jesus showed himself to Mary Magdalene.

I believe Passover was not holiday as Jews killed the Lamb, and the next day is the High Sabbath of Days of ULB. Jesus was killed on Passover.
    Jesus rested in the tomb during the High Sabbath.

I will continue to comment later.
    Bye now.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That was where my dart penetrated.

It could have struck anywhere else and the count would be the same, 0!

Zero in case you haven't understood.

Please place the Scripture and give its place where it is written, "~On Friday the ladies went shopping - to buy the spices~".

That would be just civil.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Presumptuous groundless grotesque arbitrary ASSUMPTION!

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

The first day of passover never ever was "~a special high Sabbath~" and very very seldom just a Sabbath.

... eish!

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

That is un-Scriptural.

Read Revelation 22:19.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Denied.

Scripture?

None!

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Denied.

Scripture?

None!

Let me help you a little bit, [I mean, there's a LOT more!], Exodus 12:5,15b,18a.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

If that were true, you have Jesus FIVE days in death = 5 days = four days and four nights : DEAD.

Rejectable!

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What does that help us?

The Jews may have "~calculated the beginning and ending of a day differently, even among themselves~" --- the Bible does not.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

That may be to your, "~knowledge of geography~" and man's inherent xenophobia. It is ~knowledge~ and conclusion not reached from the Scriptures.

In any case what has that to do with the passover's annual dates?
    If people clash it does not say God's Word clashes with itself.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

It could have been simple if only you simply could supply the Scriptures.

But don't let me let you loose heart completely : The Scriptures DO contain a sunrise reckoning of the day. And let me try encourage you with some truth, it is with regard to the passover that the Bible contains a sunrise beginning for days.

But it is not in the Gospels or New Testament; it was in Egypt in the Old Testament.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you say it was God's design only those evil ~northern Jews~ should crucify and kill Jesus? ... Sorry! only those southern evil Jews?

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is obvious He ate not with the disciples!

#115 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
  16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

GB,

I hope you and others here respect Dr Cassidy's contribution here as he has very much expertise in this study. I know him as a respectable scholar having the sound biblical stance, proven from many debates.

What he explained by distinguishing between the 2 parts of Israel is quite valuable to listen to.

It may be quite true that Galileans had the day counting practice different from that of Jerusalem or Bible though mostly Biblical days were counted from Sunset to Sunset.

That helps us to understand some contradictions between the gospels. Also, counting 3 days and 3 nights from Wednesday thru Saturday is not new but quite strongly supported by Messianic Jews.
    Eliyahu

17. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Cassidy,

Do you have any source that 15 Abib 31 AD was the thursday ?
    First we may have to determine which date of April by Gregorian calendar the 14th Abib of 31 AD was.

Sir Robert Anderson calculated the 69 weeks starting from 14th Nissan of 445BC, then he reached April 10, 32 AD by calculating 173,880.
    I checked the years and days, and 173,880 and confirmed it is correct.

He referred to Zumpt, Clinton, Browne, Josephus, Herodotus, Wieseler, Merivale.

As for Passover and Days of Unleavened Bread,

Lev 23 states:

5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover.
    6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the Lord: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.

In other words, Passover was not Sabbath, and Days of ULB starts after Passover, and the first day of Days of ULB was the High Sabbath.

Of course, there was a great possibility to call the whole 8 days as Passover.

Your Info about the separate counting system for the day-night between Northern and Southern Israel is quite valuable to understand some contradictions between the gospels, Thanks.

Eliyahu

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't bother. I put GB on "ignore" a long time ago. I am not sure, but I think he may drink. :)

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

"~contradictions between the gospels~"?!

Why? Because you need contradictions for your self-conceived draconian drogmas.

Like you need all those names (above) because the Gospels ~contradict one another~.

Contradictions need names of men who need contradictions to be named.

JUST NEVER THE BARE SCRIPTURES BECAUSE WHAT SHALL I HAVE TO SAY IF IT MUST BE JUST SCRIPTURES!?

#120 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.