1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To the Catholics visiting the Baptist forum.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by MartyF, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you figure that?

3. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know exaclty what I am talking about. I have studied the life of Luther extensively.

4. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    WRONG.

Don’t make false, unsubstantiated claims.

Here is the source for the Third century document from Tertullian (Di Pudicitia):
    Tertullian.org/works/de_pudicitia.htm
    Tertullian : De pudicitia

And for the record – so far YOU’RE the only one making “revisionist” claims. I’ve backed up mine with documented sources . . .

5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, the bones. Like all of the other "sacred" relics? Please.

6. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Your source is Brother Bob?

Correct them if its false. Even Lutherans Admit its true and reject it.

How about a Jewish source?

Martin Luther - "The Jews & Their Lies"

7. utilyan

Site Supporter

Since the 1980s, some Lutheran church bodies have formally denounced and dissociated themselves from Luther's vitriol about the Jews. In November 1998, on the 60th anniversary of Kristallnacht, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria issued a statement: "It is imperative for the Lutheran Church, which knows itself to be indebted to the work and tradition of Martin Luther, to take seriously also his anti-Jewish utterances, to acknowledge their theological function, and to reflect on their consequences. It has to distance itself from every [expression of] anti-Judaism in Lutheran theology."[8]

Martin Luther and antisemitism - Wikipedia

"[w]e are at fault in not slaying them" --Martin Luther.

He teaches it is a SIN NOT to kill Jews.

Notice brother I'm not condemning Lutherans or YOU. I don't have to vilify . If these people are teaching lies lets correct them then.

8. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The title pontifex was used of Roman Catholic bishops and pontifex maximus of the pope by the end of the 4th century.
    Pontifex | Roman religion

The college existed under the monarchy, when its members were probably three in number; they may be considered as having been legal advisers of the rex in all matters of religion. Under the republic they emerge into prominence under a pontifex maximus, or supreme priest, who took over the king’s duties as chief administrator of religious law. During the republican period the number of pontifices increased until by the time of Julius Caesar there were 16. Included in the collegium were also the rex sacrorum, the flamines, three assistant pontifices (minores), and the Vestal Virgins, who were all chosen by the pontifex maximus. Vacancies in the body of pontifices were originally filled by co-optation; but from the second Punic War onward the pontifex maximus was chosen by a peculiar form of popular election, and in the last age of the republic this was true for all the members. They all held office for life.

The immense authority of the collegium centred in the pontifex maximus, the other pontifices forming his consilium, or advising body. His functions were partly sacrificial or ritualistic, but the real power lay in the administration of the jus divinum, the chief departments of which may briefly be described as follows: (1) the regulation of all expiatory ceremonials needed as the result of pestilence, lightning, etc.; (2) the consecration of all temples and other sacred places and objects dedicated to the gods by the state through its magistrates; (3) the regulation of the calendar both astronomically and in detailed application to the public life of the state; (4) the administration of the law relating to burials and burying places and the worship of the Manes, or dead ancestors; (5) the superintendence of all marriages by confarreatio (i.e., originally, of all legal patrician marriages); and (6) the administration of the law of adoption and of testamentary succession. They had also the care of the state archives and of the lists of magistrates and kept records of their own decisions (commentarii) and the chief events (annales).

It is obvious that a priesthood with such functions and holding office for life must have been a great power in the state, and for the first three centuries of the republic it is probable that the pontifex maximus was in fact its most powerful member.

9. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at the history of. Pontifex Maximus. The bishop took the name as a power play in Roman politics.
    Pontifex | Roman religion

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read the document so I don't need anyone's opinion. I've read the source.

11. utilyan

Site Supporter

Ok well give me the source that denounce them that way together we can both share the truth.

12. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    The source being what Luther actually wrote.

13. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because the addition of the New Testament came centuries after that was written.

14. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, those sacred relics that are glaringly absent from your own sect's history. You cannot find any trace of Protestant beliefs in antiquity. No names of Protestant bishops, leaders or preachers. No writings. No archaeological sites such as churches, baptisteries or meeting halls. No names of martyrs. No liturgical texts. No councils being held by them. No tombs or bones of their dead. No epitaphs. No art. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Finding Protestantism in antiquity is like searching for the Loch Ness monster, the Sasquatch or the South Georgia Snipe.

15. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is about the most ignorant statement you have made yet. Protests of what the church became are found and are listed because they wrote against the very things the church was and is continuing to do. Names like Jesus, Peter, Paul, John, James, Isaiah, Moses, Jeremiah, Stephen, Timothy, and many many more. Martyrs like Stephen belong to us, they are faithful to the Scriptures.

Churches, meeting halls, those are meaningless. They don't prove anything at all. Only writings that truly matter are the Scriptures. Bishops, preachers, etc. They don't matter in the long run. They are just men. Liturgical texts mean nothing.

You rely much on men and not enough on God and God alone.

17. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is why he WASN'T anti-semitic and to say he was is ignorant.

18. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And I've already proven this wrong.
    Thank God we have the writings of the Early Church, huh?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  20. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

When you pull your head out of the sand...

The reason you don't have bishops, preachers, texts, councils, graves, martyrs, saints, epitaphs, art work, and archaeological evidence of ANYONE holding your beliefs in antiquity is because they didn't exist.

Protestantism in antiquity is like the Loch Ness monster, Sasquatch and South Georgia Snipe.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.