1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Translating OT from Septuagint

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Dec 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the John one has little textual support

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It did come from God, in the originals, and God made sure to preserve it to us intact enough in all of the various manuscripts and other items to get back to us his word!

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Inerrant would to me be that there would be NO errors or mistakes of any kind, which would only in for the originals

Inspired would refer to when the Holy Spirit made sure all that was recorded down was inerrant

Infallible refers to us having in valid translations the word of God to us, as while not without any errors or mistakes, still trustworthy in all that is written to us there

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can an uninspired Bible be trustworthy (it'd be nothing but a human book).

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can it be inspired if it has known errors in it?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on what is "inspired", doesn't it?

By your definition it can't. God's Word does not exist today (by your definition) but enough of it has somehow made it through so that we have a Bible that works. How much of it is a product of man and how much a product of God? We can never know because we do not have the originals. But it seems to work. This does mean we cannot get caught up with words....like "foreknowledge"....because we do not really know if God chose the word in the original. It could have been a product of human understanding. And we cannot really know that Christ was born of a virgin. It could mean young woman and the Greek translated virgin could be human error. So we have to hold our theology very lightly.

By my definition inspiration is preserved by God. What is communicated by the text of Scripture is inspired by God. This is why the Bible is also infallible and why we test doctrine against Scripture.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem is that ONLY Muslims with their Koran and the KJVO see it in that light!

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not true. Historically people have viewed Scripture as the Word of God and inspired by God. You are confusing terms here, brother.

I am not saying that God inspired the "so" in John 3:16 (it is not even the best translation of the word in contemporary English). I am saying that the verse is, nonetheless, inspired.

The problem with your position is that you hold man as the standard for doctrine because you hold that standard to be absent divine inspiration. You don't know if God foreknew the elect because you do not know if that concept is really divinely inspired.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who other then yourself would then see translation as being inspired in same fashion as the originals, as I do not know any textbooks that agree with that view!

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold the view that was held by men like Martin Luther and John Calvin. I NEVER said that translation are being inspired in the same fashion as the originals. I said that we have the inspired Word of God and we can rest assured that when we hold a Bible we have the inspired Word of God.

You are a A or B type of guy, @Yeshua1 . I do not mean this negatively, but just as an observation. You consider everything in terms of your view and everything else. But there are many views of how the Word of God is inspired. And I agree with Martin Luther's explanation about divine inspiration. So like Luther and Calvin, I can look to Scripture as God's revelation of Himself to man, and as the authority for our doctrine.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither Luther or Calvin would hold though that any translation would be inspired as the originals were from God!
    Do our bibles today have any mistakes or errors in them?

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, you are a A or B person. Did I ever say that any translation is inspired as the originals? No. YOU said that because you seem to want to hold a progressive and "enlightened" position. But you are wrong.

I have been repeating, over and over again, what Martin Luther wrote regarding the nature of inspiration and the Word of God. But you have not heard.

We have the inspired Word of God in Scripture. When you read your Bible, whether the KJV or the NASB, or a Greek translation, you are reading the inspired Word of God.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reading the infallible word of God, but not inspired!

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do understand that the word "inspiration" means "God breathed" indicating that the word comes from God....correct?

If you are not reading the inspired Word of God then you are reading the words of men. This is the same idea many cultists have who follow the writings of men.

Why do you believe them infallible if not from God?

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To help the conversation, I will offer my definitions:

Inerrant means without error. The Word of God is without error.
    Inspired means "God breathed", i.e., coming from God, His Word and not man's. The Word of God is God's revelation to man.
    Infallible means it will not fail. It is trustworthy. The Word of God will accomplish it's purposes.

I will add another term that I believe needs defining - The Word of God.

I define the Word of God two ways. The first is Christ in terms of God providing man with the fullest revelation of Himself in the Person of His Son. The applicable define here, however, applies to Scripture. In this context I define the Word of God as God's inerrant, inspired, and infallible revelation communicated via Scripture.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of that refers to the Originals, as the Holy Spirit moved upon men to write down the word of God, but translations do not have that same inspiration!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the originals that is all true, but not in any translation!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unlike others in the King James Only movement, the Society claims, "The supernatural power involved in the process of inspiration, and in the result of inspiration, was exerted only in the original production of the sixty-six Canonical books of the Bible (2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Peter 3:15-16)."

"Translations from the original languages are likewise to be considered the written Word of God in so far as these translations are accurate as to the form and content of the Original."

"Translations made since New Testament times must use words chosen by uninspired men to translate God’s words. For this reason no translation of the Word of God can have an absolute or definitive status. The final appeal must always be to the original languages, in the Traditional Hebrew and Greek texts."[6]"
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This sums up my position!

• Like Like x 1
  19. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Early evidence from Tertullian and Cyprian both who read Greek, very clearly quote 1 John 5.7. Also the internal Greek grammar is conclusive for the the words as originally written by John

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet we do not have any originals so you have no clue what was really in them, correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.