1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured True or false statement?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

Misquoting ancient sources seems to be standard for people trying to defend any bad doctrine.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://kimriddlebarger.squarespace.com/a-reply-to-john-macarthur/

John M;

Kim R;

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    pt2;

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    pt3;

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

• Like Like x 1
  6. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what field do you think RC studies, or has studied...that MacArthur has not? What expertise do you think RC has that MacArthur does not?

The primary point is that those who say MacArthur is not a theologian is a little absurd to me. Particularly when you compare their doctrine.

God bless.

7. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RC has written a systematic theology book while MacArthur has not. He also touches more on systematic theology in his teachings. Mac has studied this, but I think RC knows a little more on the topic.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree concerning the necessity of getting your hermeneutic right. And that is one of the problems I have with any of the strict dispensational systems.

What most dispensationalists fail to realize is that dispensationalism is, itself, a hermeneutic. It is placed over the scriptures and colors the understanding of those scriptures. So, in effect, the conclusion is reached by means of the presupposition, which is nothing more than the conclusion restated. Rather typical circular reasoning. Kind of like KJVOism. :)

Now, don't get me wrong. I am pre-mil. Not a dispensational pre-mil, but an historic pre-mil. A Chilliast.

I lean toward post-trib (but in a less than traditional sense) but will not break fellowship with a pre-trib or a mid-trib as I believe both have scriptural support depending on certain presuppositions.

I believe the church was formed from spiritual Israel, and many (if not most) of the promises made to spiritual Israel in the OT are being or will be fulfilled in the church.

But I also believe there are yet promises made to Israel that are yet to be fulfilled and when they are they will bless Israel, both nationally and spiritually (probably due to the fact that, at that time, all of National Israel will also be Spiritual Israel, for all of Israel will be saved).

We see an indication of this in the Heavenly City. The foundation stones will each include the name of one of the 12 Apostles, while the great wall will have 12 gates, and over each gate will be the name of one of the 12 tribes of Israel. In order to get to the Heavenly City it will be necessary to pass through one of the 12 tribes of Israel. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First you say that MacArthur is not a Theologian, now you say MacArthur is a lesser Theologian because he hasn't written a book on Systematic Theology?

I would suggest to you that Systematic Theology is the very reason why we have so many confused people in regards to Theology.

My definition of a Theologian is simply one...who knows what he is talking about.

And R.C. has some pretty funky teachings, lol.

So you think knowledge of Systematic Theology, or creating Systematic Theology...makes one more knowledgeable?

Well, you need to moderate your thread, my friend, and set these fellows straight. Let them know that Dispensationalism is a Systematic Theology and therefore must be correct, because only Theologians create them, lol. You might want to remind what the OP is again while your at it.

And that's it for me in this one.

God bless.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darrell you have a real problem. I am not saying Mac is not a theologian he is, but not to the same degree as RC at least in systematic theology.

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is not mine, because MacArthur's Theology and Soteriology and Eschatology...is more accurate than that of RC. That you feel RC is of a higher standard of Theologian, great, I am happy for you. I love RC, and enjoy listening to him, but, that doesn't mean I don't think he could stand to improve his Theology, and I believe if he would just listen to his friend...that might happen.

Not now, anyway:

I am glad you have magnanimously begun to agree that John is a Theologian, very big of you. When you can understand John's superiority as a Theologian based on the Theology itself, as opposed to the works of the individuals in view, then you will begin to make a different public statement in regards to who is a Theologian or not.

The truth is, E...you are a theologian. You have a knowledge of God and you publicly declare that knowledge. It is your responsibility, standing in the role of teacher (which is an apt description of anyone engaged in Evangelism)...to be expert in that which you are teaching.

There is a dire warning given to those who would be teachers, and not everyone considers that. I want you to consider that.

God bless.

12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If more people spent less time in learning their Systems of Theology, and more time in the source of Theology, there would be a more united Body of Christ today.

But because many have thrown off our Teacher for teachers...there is much confusion, controversy, and hostility in the Body of Christ. It is sad that Paul could address this issue in the First Century...and it is still an issue in this day. Makes me wonder how the Corinthians responded to Paul's rebuke.

Of course, he did have to write to them more than once...

God bless.

13. pilgrim_99

pilgrim_99 Member

What is the name of this systematic theology text by Sproul to which you refer?

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its a entry level systematic theology called "Everyone is a Theologian." No its not academic level or to be used in the seminary. Probably more High School level.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to learn to understand the differences between Biblical Theology and Systematic Theology.

16. pilgrim_99

pilgrim_99 Member

I'm sorry, I'm not knocking the book, but it is ridiculous to refer to that as a ST in any sense. (Sproul does however have a lengthy video series on systematic theology.) MacArthur (and some associates, I think) are set to release a systematic theology textbook within the next year.

Now, a valid comparison would be Sproul's knowledge of philosophy and related fields. MacArthur has never pretended to be anything but a New Testament expositor. Regardless, none of this really has anything to do with the question at hand. There are amils and postmils who are expositors and premils and pretribbers who are systematic theologians.

#56 pilgrim_99, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to do more research. The book is subtitled "an introduction to systematic theology." Stop making judgments when you do not even have the book. As I said its an introduction, and I have systematic theologies and sometimes refer to this book because the topics are brief and to the point (unlike a big volume systematic theology).

18. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like to think I do, lol.

Now, is John MacArthur a Theologian or not?

God bless.

19. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

The doctrine of immanency (frequently, the doctrine of the imminent Rapture is taught) makes God a liar. (Don't you agree, anything that makes God a liar is demonic?)

According to popular Rapture doctrine, there is going to be a Rapture on a specific, even if unknown, date. Every generation that has passed before that date, but that was deliberately given the impression that the Rapture could be within their lives, has been lied to. How have they not been lied to? The were led to believe something that wasn't true.

In actuality, the Bible nowhere teaches the lie of false immanency. Jesus didn't teach his return was immanent (not until the Abomination that Causes Desolation, in which case his return would really be immanent). The Bible does't each a pretribulation rapture, let alone an immanent pretribulation rapture. Jesus' first coming was identified down to the year by Daniel's 70 Weeks prophecy. No BC student of the OT would have thought Christ's coming was immanent, until it honestly was immanent.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a sense yes but he is more of a NT expositor.