1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump demands respect?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Matt Black, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because it sows divisions within NATO and plays into Putin's hands.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it was so important, why didn't the UK attend? The French don't pay their way in NATO and neither do the moneybags Germans. Why should we stick our necks out for that? Putin has his hands full with China but he must see European hypocrisy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there exists a common misunderstanding that erroneously takes incidents as indicative of the whole. I know many in the US who will not travel to Europe because it is so dangerous. Terrorism, kidnapping, human trafficking.....they believe it is commonplace rather than horrific exceptions to the norm.

The same is sometimes for people outside of the US looking in. When I lived in Europe all that was really shown of the US in the news was negative (it was appropriate reporting of negative incidents). What some fail to realize is just how isolated these incidents are.

I have lived across the US (in the Southern states, in Washington D.C., Maryland, Texas, Georgia). I've been to most states. I liven in Europe for 4 years. I went to Bosnia for a year when in the military. I've been to Norway, France, Croatia, Germany, Italy, Mexico....

I have never encountered a shooting, stabbing, mugging.....even in Chicago.

My suggestion to any who would let fear keep them from traveling is to consider that such apprehension may be wrongly exaggerated.

Can you be mugged in Chicago, stabbed in the UK, become a victim of a bombing in Israel, be kidnapped in Mexico....yes. But you are far more likely to have a heart attack in your own home or be diagnosed with cancer in your doctors office. I also know people who have an irrational fear of these things as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesn't. what sows division within NATO is the freeloading members that don't pay their fair share.

A memorial service will have no effect one way or the other.

As for Putin, he couldn't care less about 2000 Americans buried in France.

Your imagination is running wild in an effort to justify your hate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was in Chicago the last weekend of October. I had not been there since 1991. I stayed at a Marriott in downtown (Near North) neighborhood. This is not a bad neighborhood. There was a shooting on the street in front of the hotel that night. Some sort of an argument, someone pulled a gun and a guy got shot in the leg.

All together in Chicago there were 43 shootings and 4 fatalities that weekend. The Uber driver on the way to the airport downplayed it as being a fluke for that neighborhood and as a percentage of the population the number of shootings was not out of line.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chicagoans try to keep most of the shooters and shootings confined to their southern plantation. I think you were just unlucky.:Biggrin

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I bear the man no hatred. I hate a lot of what he says and does, as most right-thinking people do, because it is profoundly immoral. Like this latest episode. I make no apology for that hatred. None whatsoever. I regard it as my moral duty as a Christian.

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of it has spilled over into the Water Tower area with flash mobs. A couple of years ago they crashed the Magnificent Mile on Black Friday. There was a case where a teenage girl in a McDonald's near the Water Tower saw some people arguing and so she went up to the counter and they people hit her in the head with a hammer for cutting in line. All of that area used to be very quiet. In fact, crime was not tolerated downtown at all. No more.

I would like to go to Chicago to the Oriental Institute but I am afraid. Of course, I am 77, and Hoosiers cannot carry guns in Illinois.

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was immoral? It was a glitch. The French said that we were their enemies like China and Russia. May did not go at all. We had only the misfortune to come in at the end of the war and we did not have much do to with the peace conference.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Won't wash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are very correct. Marcon says that Petain was a great soldier and he gets a pass but Petain went over to the Nazis. The British don't even attend in France and yet they say that Trump did not do enough. The Brits don't make any sense.

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Uber driver said something similar. He said that if you analyze the shootings they occur in the same dozen neighborhoods, or thereabouts. Having one in the near north neighborhood was a fluke.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump's helicopter was grounded by rain. A motorcade would have disrupted Paris traffic for hours and hours. The decision was made not to attend the event.

I think you are making a lot more out of this than it really was. Let it go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

You've got two choices: either accept my word on this or accuse a fellow BB member of lying

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

May didn't go because we had our own ceremony at the Cenotaph in Whitehall with Her Majesty the Queen, as we do every year. Trump was invited specifically to participate in the centenary commemorations: he made it as far as Paris but then baulked at the last few miles

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, so obviously bringing himself and his entire entourage to France means he didn't want to go in the first place and found the rain to be a convenient excuse.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Roflmao I'd rather accept the evidence.

#77 carpro, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truth be told, I don't like going to Chicago....or Memphis. But, the actual odds are for an uneventful trip should you decide to go.

But hey....we all know someone will be shot in Chicago, stabbed in the UK, and made fun of in Florida. Someone will win the lottery, get struck by lightening and be bitten by a shark. I guess apart from suicide we all take chances...and I know several attempts at that which failed.

19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only to you and your ilk.

It just could be that the President felt unwelcome , since Macron publicly declared that the United States is an enemy of France and also accused the President of treason.

#80 carpro, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018