1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump wants to build the wall with Military funds

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Calminian, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Government appropriation law spells it out. Not the spending bill.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a freebie.

Yes.

{quote]Is there language that suggests it cannot be used for any type of border walls, construction etc.?[/quote]
    Yes.

I gave you the link to the bill. Use the search feature in your browser (probably CNTL-F) using the word "defense" and any other words you find appropriate. You will find out what EVERYONE here has been saying is true.

But so far, you have refused to lift a finger to check for yourself. I have no great expectations that you will do it.

3. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doing just fine thanks. Only one person is arguing from ignorance in here and that is you. I’ve treated you with respect in here and have taken the time to try and explain how government contracting works. Nothing I have said is liberalism. You are razor thin skinned and hyper protective of all things Trump. If you want to engage again about this like an adult then would be happy to discuss further.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "sources say", "from those familiar with the matter", "a spokesperson says" are all tip-offs that you're dealing with a leaker. This was probably deliberately leaked, like a trial balloon to see how the idea went over. Using DoD money wasn't the only idea on how to pay for this wall presented.

Well, there's no way I even want to read all of that omnibus bill but the terms "planned parenthood" and "wall" aren't referenced to once and that is because PP gets the money through Medicaid and "family planning" grants. Now it seems very specific about the border fence, what can go where when and now.

I really doubt Trump will push this, how does doing so NOT violate:

31 U.S.C. 1301 Application

Supposedly, Trump floated the idea by Paul Ryan (who is a recent victim of fake news himself), and Ryan said nothing - Trump has to take this idea back to Congress and it would fail there, Some say he should declare a "national emergency" under the National Emergencies Act, but THAT would be a good case for a lawsuit and it's too jackboot dictator besides.

5. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you quote the part in the military portion of the bill that prohibits wall building?

6. Calminian

Site Supporter

It's all going to come down to the language in the bill. If the wall can be counted as a military necessity, I can't see how Trump can be stopped, unless the military spending is super specific in every area.

And I don't think Trump will worry about a lawsuit. Build the wall and then work out the rest later. Once it's up it's up.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question isn't is there anything in the military portion of the bill prohibiting wall building. This is the better question. Are there funds that can be easily freed up for wall building solely on a presidential order.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since there are no undesignated military funds, it is obvious that President Trump cannot build a wall without approval of Congress.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn’t even come close to working that way. It’s not about language it’s about the end user. You can’t pencil whip a DD1391 and hide it. It is a CONGRESSIONALLY approved budgetary document. The wall is not a military project because it is not for use by the DoD. It is a Homeland Security project. The GAO would be all this easily.

No one is really even proposing this except for Trumps via tweet. This has no legs and is going nowhere. The wall may happen someday but it isn’t coming from the DoD. The true vision for the wall may have very well died with the spending bill.

#69 Use of Time, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  10. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo. There is no way declaring a National Emergency would work because...well it isn’t a National Emergency. Even then, that doesn’t let Military Construction funds cross agencies like that.

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

Okay, I'll go with that. Fair enough. I would think that would come down to how specifically spending is designated in the military portion. In the border fence portion it's very specific what can be built and what can't.

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

Bingo, yes it is. People are dying.

13. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is way too vague to gain traction and again, doesn’t let you access military funding. Even National Emergencies don’t let you violate statuatory acquisition requirements.

14. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If only this was answered already in this thread.

15. Calminian

Site Supporter

175 lives lost daily to the opioids is not vague. An invasion of of 20 million foreigners is not vague. It's an emergency. If it weren't the President wouldn't have even mentioned it.

16. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He could have declared it an emergency a long time ago. If it were truly an emergency then why hasn’t he declared it yet? We both know he won’t. Because it isn’t. It’s a tactic for the wall. One that has no legs. It’s now only being considered an emergency because he flubbed the bill and got a very restrictive allocation of money for maintenance and upkeep of existing wall infrastructure.

17. Calminian

Site Supporter

Trump has spoken up on this crisis from the beginning. It's in the national forefront today largely because of Trump. Liberals like you don't want the crisis to end because you want open borders. The wall would save lives, but it would be bad for you politically, so you oppose it. Heartless.

18. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why hasn’t he declared it a National Emergency? There was talk of a wall long before Trump by the way. It’s at the National forefront because he said he would deliver it...and then got completely handcuffed in the spending bill and didn’t use veto power. If It is important to you then I would be upset with Trump. But you aren’t. Soooooo...

19. Calminian

Site Supporter

I like how you always fall back to anti-Trump attack points.

He has. Many times. President Donald J. Trump is Combatting the Opioid Crisis.

But he has to get through liberals like you. The fight's not over yet.

#79 Calminian, Mar 29, 2018
  20. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose facts are anti-Trump attack points to you.

He has not now or ever declared a National Emergency. That term has a meaning and it hasn’t been done. I’m not talking about him saying there is a problem I’m talking about an executive decision to declare it. Hasn’t been done. Won’t be done.

Every argument you have made has been emotional based off of your hunches and wild guesses. Numerous people have actually posted the regulations and you arrogantly drive forward in your blind ignorance.

#80 Use of Time, Mar 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1